Arguments for Obama

zesty brick

• Members

I need some arguments for convincing my ignorant conservative parents that Obama is an awesome president, help me out.

When I was fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have him around. When I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.

Mark Twain

Are you sure your parents are the ignorant ones?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
052909KD.jpg

Not to mention federal spending that now defies all logic.

Saw this factoid the other morning:

Federal Taxes Collected:

April 08 - income taxes $244 billion all other taxes $404 billion
April 09 - income taxes $137 billion all other taxes $266 billion (-44%)
(Amer. Inst. of Economic Research)

What was it KK said a $1.55 Trillion budget. I recall it was somehwere in that vicinity.

And to that the 'stimulus' package (in the hundreds of billions, look it up)
And an omnibus spending bill (in the hundreds of billions, look it up)

Our debt is now projected to be more than 80% of GDP.
Then the estimated $1.5 trillion for healthcare over the next few years.
Then the cap and trade bill (in the hundreds of billions, look it up)

And now a possible national sales tax.

Gee, where is all that money coming from? The rich? Don't think so.

homepagegraphic.gif

• Members

I liken it to the punitive reparations on Germany after the Treaty of Versailles. The huge debt was designed to cripple Germany's economy for decades to come. I can't really see any difference with the crippling debt we're being saddled with. Can't imagine prosperity coming out of it.

• Members

Well, you can't spend your way out of a recession. The idea that you can prime the pump of the economy through government spending is false. Government spending, whether it's through taxation, borrowing, or inflation, comes out of the private economy one way or another. The US tried it in the 1930's, Japan tried it in the 1990's, and it just doesn't work. This isn't about being partisan, because Bush II's big bailout was right down the same road. What we're doing now will fail.

What about all the money we poured into GM and Chrysler? It looks like GM is going into bankruptcy after all. Wouldn't it have better if we'd let them go into bankruptcy in the first place, without all these government strings attached?

• Members

What about all the money we poured into GM and Chrysler? It looks like GM is going into bankruptcy after all. Wouldn't it have better if we'd let them go into bankruptcy in the first place, without all these government strings attached?

Yes, for sure. IMO, it was more of a PR scam than anything. Better the President fire you than your boss, right?! All the higher ups noses are clean now... Except for the coke.

• Members
Not my graph. This is from the CBO.

That does seem hard to believe, doesn't it?

http://www.cbo.gov/

I've always heard that services like those are expected to balloon in the next 10 years. I admit, I gave up looking for it on the CBO site. The paper that graph seems to come from was 56 pages long. :eek:

Archived