*peeves*

fretless

• Members

I had to use google to make sense of that. Once the context was made clear I got it.

My ex-fiance was black and it was amazing to witness the {censored} that comes out of people's mouths. Like they really think what they are saying is a compliment.

Even my family members - making a POINT to mention how educated he is/seems with their eyes all big and round and eyebrows raised nodding their heads....

:facepalm:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I had to use google to make sense of that. Once the context was made clear I got it.

I guess I'm not getting the context. I've spent a lot of time/energy sharpening my public speaking skills. So, I'm always very happy if someone tells me I speak well. I worked at it and it's nice when it's appreciated by someone.

• Members

OK, here are my bass-related peeves:

You're an amateur unless your main bass has 6 strings;

Lined fretless basses are for n00bs;

Compression is for hacks;

You can't play jazz on a production bass...you absolutely need a boutique bass;

Use the "floating thumb" or GTFO

Most of these are perpetrated on *ahem* some other online fora.

• Members

I guess I'm not getting the context. I've spent a lot of time/energy sharpening my public speaking skills. So, I'm always very happy if someone tells me I speak well. I worked at it and it's nice when it's appreciated by someone.

Why would it be a compliment if the person telling you that was surprised that you had good speaking skills? As if they assumed that you should have bad communication skills in the first place.

• Members
Why would it be a compliment if the person telling you that was surprised that you had good speaking skills? As if they assumed that you should have bad communication skills in the first place.

I guess you haven't been to a medical or bioengineering conference lately! Most folks can't communicate very well.

• Members

Since I work in a field with what should be filled with highly educated engineers and architects, it peeves me that an architect doesn't know the difference between a curve, arc, and radius. I work with a guy who uses the word "masonary". I think he means "masonry". If a wall is built out of bricks, it is a masonry wall, not a masonary wall.

Another peeve is my company has been laying people off because the economy is bad, and we are not selling as much. The CEO says each department has to cut their budget by 10%, and nobody got a raise this year. The ceo still drives a $160,000 AMG Mercedes, and everyone on the board of directors drives a company paid for $80,000 BMW. We just got a new copier for the engineering department when the old one worked perfectly. I'd rather get a raise than a new copy machine.

• Members

If I live to be nine hundred I will never, ever, EVER get this!!! Can't people hear themselves when they do this? Seriously, I have to wonder what kind of a childhood somebody had when they eat like a freaking horse.

Absolute top of my list.

when you go to your friends house for a meal, and his/her entire family eats like that. I almost ripped out my hair. And to top it off, all of them slurped their soup loudly too.:facepalm:

• Moderators
I guess you haven't been to a medical or bioengineering conference lately! Most folks can't communicate very well.

Yep. Not just in those fields, either. Most people simply aren't good public speakers. When you receive a compliment about it, I'd be happy. It sounds as if you are.:cool:

• Members

Yep. Not just in those fields, either. Most people simply aren't good public speakers. When you receive a compliment about it, I'd be happy. It sounds as if you are.
:cool:

I don't think the original "speaks well" comment was in the context of public speaking & has more to do with speaking in general.

• Members

Wait. You gave me that compliment earlier. Does that mean I'm black? Sweet! Now my girlfriend can't go back - I'll let her know immediately!
:thu:

:D

You may also want to try out your new dance moves, and longer... er... Yeah, check out those dance moves. :thu:

• Members

people who drive on the freeway like it is a slalom course.... i secretly hope to see these cars in the ditch up ahead when they cut me off just to slam on their brakes because they are doing 20-40km/h more than everyone else...

Or, people who dont pay any attention to those large white signs that read "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT". :idea:

• Members

Or, people who dont pay any attention to those large white signs that read "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT".
:idea:

oh, i assure you i am not said slower traffic. the people doing this are usually attempting to do 150km/h in a 100 zone, whilst i am doing about *cough*120*cough*

what? i don't speed.... :cop:

the best part is it is half sports cars and half falling apart econoboxes from the late 80s/early 90s pulling this crap.

trust me. drivers cause 90% of my grief lately... especially people who cut off delivery trucks. here's the deal, i'm bigger than you, i will win in a who squishes who contest, don't tempt me

Archived