Musicians that buy cheap gear

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

well there is different situations for everything but from my experience as a musician and in the music scene it seems that bands that have cheap gear are still in a maturing stage like in highschool or out of highschool or just dont have a clue. there is nothing wrong with that but I have gone through the same stages and have seen it all gear wise and I still stand by playing through tubes and whatnot etc. it feels more natural not so digital and I feel like my money spent was a good investment for sound and reliability. but it just seems like a maturing level thing and also a cant afford a prof. rig deal. eventually that highschool age band will evolve and write decent songs and learn new stuff and start playing more shows and going to the studio and then touring and buying a van trailer and road cases etc. you gotta start somewhere I guess. interesting though

• Members

well there is different situations for everything but from my experience as a musician and in the music scene it seems that bands that have cheap gear are still in a maturing stage like in highschool or out of highschool or just dont have a clue. there is nothing wrong with that but I have gone through the same stages and have seen it all gear wise and I still stand by playing through tubes and whatnot etc. it feels more natural not so digital and I feel like my money spent was a good investment for sound and reliability. but it just seems like a maturing level thing and also a cant afford a prof. rig deal. eventually that highschool age band will evolve and write decent songs and learn new stuff and start playing more shows and going to the studio and then touring and buying a van trailer and road cases etc. you gotta start somewhere I guess. interesting though

Keep watching and learning, kid. I personally know a guy who's been playing for 30+ years, had very, very high profile national touring gigs, still goes to festivals in europe every year, and plays through a peavey SS amp.

• Members

What counts as cheap, anyway?

I quite fancy a Les Paul of some kind, obviously there's no way in hell I could afford a real one (they cost around $3000 here, I know they're a bit cheaper in America...), so I was looking at spending around

• Members

The guitarist in my band used his "cheap" gear to record several nationally distributed tribute albums, and got tone as good as or better than the big names he shared the credits with.

Check out "Lords Of Karma" from Versailles Records, track 10 (Tobacco Road)

or "Always - a Millenium tribute to Bon Jovi", Versailles records, Track 07 (You Give Love a Bad Name).

He got good reviews on those performances too (I played keys on the Bon Jovi track, but in true 80's style they're pretty buried in the mix)

• Members

I'm fairly indescriminiate when it comes to prices. I don't care what it costs if i like it. I paid a lot money for a fender texas special about 6 years ago and I lovelovelove it. But I'm buying a sweet Gibson SG for 600 bucks used, which is pretty damn good. I find that decent guitars range all over the place price wise. I've bought some real cheap guitars that sounded pretty great.

Now pedals are where I don't {censored} around. I find myself always paying top dollar for pedals. I don't own a pedal under 250 bucks purely because everything I've played that costs less is a piece of {censored}e.

I'm currently in the market for a new amp and I can't decide. Should I spring for an Orange or settle for a reliable bassman?

• Members

Now pedals are where I don't {censored} around. I find myself always paying top dollar for pedals. I don't own a pedal under 250 bucks purely because everything I've played that costs less is a piece of {censored}e.

That makes sense, as cheap pedals add noise and often color the sound.

High end units like can offer true bypass and unity gain, which preserves the character of the input signal.

I'm currently in the market for a new amp and I can't decide. Should I spring for an Orange or settle for a reliable bassman?

Play em both, and buy what you prefer....

There's a fairly inexpensive CLass A (low wattage) Orange called the Tiny Terror that's gotten some good reviews, might want to look into that...

• Members

That makes sense, as cheap pedals add noise and often color the sound.

High end units like can offer true bypass and unity gain, which preserves the character of the input signal.

Play em both, and buy what you prefer....

There's a fairly inexpensive CLass A (low wattage) Orange called the Tiny Terror that's gotten some good reviews, might want to look into that...

I just can't decide if I wanna slurg or not. Plus I'm really into this sonic youthy sound lately. (can't get enough of it) but I still want a really good clean tone too! I'll look into this tiny terror. Although in my neck of the woods, it's also hard come by certain models so I most likely will have to settle for something less than perfect. I'm not an ebay person so I have a limited shopping pool.

• Members

I just can't decide if I wanna slurg or not. Plus I'm really into this sonic youthy sound lately. (can't get enough of it) but I still want a really good clean tone too! I'll look into this tiny terror. Although in my neck of the woods, it's also hard come by certain models so I most likely will have to settle for something less than perfect. I'm not an ebay person so I have a limited shopping pool.

Just keep in mind that the Tiny Terror, like all Class A amps, is low wattage.

That's usually okay for gigging, as most of the sound should come through the P.A. anyway (even Slayer mics their Marshall cabs)

• Members

Keep watching and learning, kid. I personally know a guy who's been playing for 30+ years, had very, very high profile national touring gigs, still goes to festivals in europe every year, and plays through a peavey SS amp.

Heh, heh. I told a professional guitar player friend of mine (been playing for about 30 years as well) about Rondomusic.net and within three months he had three guitars - all of which cost him around $109 each. They were all I saw him play up 'till the last time I saw him. One was a strat ripoff, another a Tele, and a third was a black thing with a couple of humbuckers. He made NO mods and loved the first two and liked the third.

The first two were gorgeous instruments. The third was all black - not my cup of tea.

• Members

I really doubt you could play clean, live with a Tiny Terror.

My 30w Orange Rocker 30 only just stays clean (on the clean channel) when its mic'd up, if its not mic'd then it will break up.

I would very much doubt a 15w class A would stay clean...

• Members

Heh, heh. I told a professional guitar player friend of mine (been playing for about 30 years as well) about Rondomusic.net and within three months he had three guitars - all of which cost him around $109 each. They were all I saw him play up 'till the last time I saw him. One was a strat ripoff, another a Tele, and a third was a black thing with a couple of humbuckers. He made NO mods and loved the first two and liked the third.

The first two were gorgeous instruments. The third was all black - not my cup of tea.

I'm seriously thinking about getting one of their jazz bass copies - can't beat the price.

• Members

WHen you say "more important" - what does that mean exactly?

Is he not playing his parts well, or not doing his homework, or is he just bugging you by talking about the other band?

I firmly think that it should be okay to be in more than one band, assuming the person knows all his parts and is a good bandmember, why be concerned if the guy is in another band?

Then again, some cats can't handle being in more than one band - maybe that's true for him?

Just curious...

Good question, to clarify:

I am fine if a person wants to be in more than one band, I have also done it. The problem is that he is missing practices dates, not coming prepaired and now he has missed several practices in order to practice with the other band. He likes guitar more than drums so he makes the other band his priority, so I may have to let him go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't think people should be ashamed of playing cheaper instruments if they have a particularly unique sound (which is warranted for the style of music they are playing). Some songs sound very authentic on tinny squeaky buzzy instruments.

The whole concept of being ashamed while playing music is just f**ked, really...

Frikkin Jimmy Page took the stage with 250 dollar Danelectro's and made em scream. He knew what they could do - set em up high for slide, and didn't give 2 s**ts about the critics.

That's what it's all about - getting the most from your tools, and playing to their strengths.

If you're that damn self conscious on stage then you're not in the right frame of mind to really connect with your performance either - the mind should be free of all bull{censored} and just flowing with the music; anything less is missing the mark - good musicians get in a groove and don't have time to think or worry...

• Members

Prince regularly plays a Hohner telecaster copy on stage. Brian May made his own guitar from plywood and a mahogony fireplace. Eddie Van Halen spent much of his career playing a beat up part-o-caster covered in spray paint.

Bottom line is, if you suck, an expensive guitar and amp is not going to stop you from sucking. If you don't suck, you can play whatever the hell you like and you still will not suck.

• Members

Prince regularly plays a Hohner telecaster copy on stage. Brian May made his own guitar from plywood and a mahogony fireplace. Eddie Van Halen spent much of his career playing a beat up part-o-caster covered in spray paint.

Bottom line is, if you suck, an expensive guitar and amp is not going to stop you from sucking. If you don't suck, you can play whatever the hell you like and you still will not suck.

yup.

• Members

I don't think people should be ashamed of playing cheaper instruments if they have a particularly unique sound (which is warranted for the style of music they are playing). Some songs sound very authentic on tinny squeaky buzzy instruments.

agree.

some cheap stuff is better than expensive one

• Members

The whole concept of being ashamed while playing music is just f**ked, really...

Frikkin Jimmy Page took the stage with 250 dollar Danelectro's and made em scream. He knew what they could do - set em up high for slide, and didn't give 2 s**ts about the critics.

That's what it's all about - getting the most from your tools, and playing to their strengths.

If you're that damn self conscious on stage then you're not in the right frame of mind to really connect with your performance either - the mind should be free of all bull{censored} and just flowing with the music; anything less is missing the mark - good musicians get in a groove and don't have time to think or worry...

Well said:thu:

• Members

My equipment may not be expensive -- as is demanded by my income -- but it sounds good enough for right now. My first guitar was a $140 ibanez that had better factory setup than my friend's $400 epi. All of my gear I buy used, when I find it for a good price. This lets me have midrange stuff for low prices, which keeps me happy. I don't feel any shame about it, and the things about people having top-dollar gear but {censored} playing skills have been proven to me (I played in a band with one of them). It's all about who you are as a player, and what works for you.

Archived