Musicians that buy cheap gear

• Members

Sure beats the hell out of working all day...

That's for sure.

To be fair, I think there's been alot of posters taking your stance on budget instruments as some sort of personal affront... I think alot of the responses have been alot more vitriolic than they need to be

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's for sure.

To be fair, I think there's been alot of posters taking your stance on budget instruments as some sort of personal affront... I think alot of the responses have been alot more vitriolic than they need to be

Yeah, I noticed that.

I must be maturing though, because in my younger days I would have reacted more harshly with some of the posts to me.

These days I dont tend to get worked up nearly as often.

Hey, maybe I am related to RobRoy after all?

:wave:

• Members

Yeah, I noticed that.

I must be maturing though, because in my younger days I would have reacted more harshly with some of the posts to me.

These days I dont tend to get worked up nearly as often.

Hey, maybe I
am
related to RobRoy after all?

:wave:

No, you just make condescending and snotty comments directed at other people about something as shallow as instrument choice and then pretend to be above it all, feigning confusion at the hostility directed toward you.

Passive aggressive dickheads are the worst kind of all.

I suspect you might be a reincarnated troll. Is your past name Beachbum? :rolleyes:

• Members

Ouch.

I admitted I was funnin' with ya.

You're the high and mighty one around here, huh?

I guess I'll let you consider me a passive aggressive dickhead and see if I'll get any sleep at all tonight fretting over it.

• Members

No, you just make condescending and snotty comments directed at other people about something as shallow as instrument choice and then pretend to be above it all, feigning confusion at the hostility directed toward you.

A quick summary:

"It's embarrassing to play cheap gear"

"If you play cheap gear you must not be able to afford anything better"

"I didn't mean to insult anyone"

"Boy, you poor people have thin skin. But I'm not trying to insult anyone."

"Why is everyone picking on little old me????"

• Members

Cool!

(If you want blood, I'm your man.)

I donated, collectively, several gallons of blood but stopped about 12 years ago. I figured if the doctor was getting paid, I should get paid, even if only five bucks. The older I get, the more my "money" decisions are based on core principle rather than money.

So as for me, no bucks, no blood.

• Members

A quick summary:

"It's embarrassing to play cheap gear"

"If you play cheap gear you must not be able to afford anything better"

"I didn't mean to insult anyone"

"Boy, you poor people have thin skin. But I'm not trying to insult anyone."

"Why is everyone picking on little old me????"

Problem is that with this forum, we always only get snippets of who each person really is. That is why I am beyond thick skinned here.

It is also why I cut people so much slack, but there are exceptions. A few years ago there were some people that, after it had played out for MONTHS, still sincerely believed (and had significant knowledge about) the Dan Rather documents were genuine. Those people got NO respect from me. They were not ignorant of the facts yet still clung to a totally untenable position - like seriously believing that we never landed on the moon or there was no holocaust.

That is the stuff I really DON'T have time for. Insults? Meh...

And when a person concedes a point, for me that covers a multitude of sins and exposes their true character much more than the typical chest pounding and other banter.

• Members

Ouch.

I admitted I was funnin' with ya.

You're the high and mighty one around here, huh?

I guess I'll let you consider me a passive aggressive dickhead and see if I'll get any sleep at all tonight fretting over it.

Oh, you'll "let me?"

Gee, thanks. :wave:

You don't lack for self esteem, I'll give you that.

• Members

"........ ctoddrun hits him with the chair! Fortunately, its a cheap import and shatters harmlessly off of BlueStrat's massive head! Next time, Vince, he'll know better and use a solid alder Ethan Allen chair with a maple cap!"

• Members

I dunno. Looks pretty cheap to me...
;)

That is a perfect example of a guitar that was cheap back in the day but is no longer cheap today. That's a 1955 Harmony H42 Stratotone Newport. Its construction is very similar to lap steels of the era. The neck and body are the same piece of wood. It's not a guitar for everybody. You probably wouldn't want to shred or play Bad Company covers on it. But if you are looking to replicate the sounds of a blues record from 1955 that guitar might be ideal. At least from my experience nothing sounds more like back in the day from something actually from back in the day.

The prices on solidbody Stratotones are going up now, most likely due to folks like Marc Ribot, Junior Watson, and Tom Waits playing them. I have been bidding on those for at least a year and have always gotten outbid, even when I bid a rather large amount. Before I finally "won" this one the last one I bid on sold for a little over $2000. I did not pay that much for this one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

what pisses me off is the guy that has multiple bands and or plays multiple instruments and invests his money in all the gear that he does not need to play with you!

Example: a guitar player in my cover band used a beat up guitar that needs major work, or to be replaced and claims he has no money to do it now, then I find out that he spent $2K in a drum kit to play with another band that does original stuff...now my reaction, get the f**k out if here!!!!

I own my PA because I want to have the best possible sound, I spend a lot of time and money in this so that we can give the paying audience the respect that they gave us by coming to see us, I really don't care how much the guitar player spent on his guitar unless it sounds like crap, same goes for any other instrument.

I sing therefore the PA and microphone are my instruments and I invested good deal of money in it, it pisses me off when I see a band doing a gig with crap speakers and crap microphones but with $3K guitars and drum Kit, that shows direspect to the public, I don't care how expensive your equipment is, what I care is that you sound good, the theory behind using lesser gear to play small gigs is to me invalid, I want to sound as good for 10 people in a bar as I would in an arena with 10K! Now if you can make that happen with less gear and sound just as good, more power to you, but so often I see that guy saying that he left his good gear at home...this is just a bar gig...man I want my money back!

Sorry for the rant...

Rod

• Members

Sounds like your band is not the guys main priority (don't feel too bad I am experiencing a similar situation). Our drummer also plays guitar for another band and he is starting to let the other band become more important to him than ours because he gets more glory in the other band (he plays guitar in that band). I believe we will be giving him the boot soon.

• Members

Sounds like your band is not the guys main priority (don't feel too bad I am experiencing a similar situation). Our drummer also plays guitar for another band and he is starting to let the other band become more important to him than ours because he gets more glory in the other band (he plays guitar in that band). I believe we will be giving him the boot soon.

WHen you say "more important" - what does that mean exactly?

Is he not playing his parts well, or not doing his homework, or is he just bugging you by talking about the other band?

I firmly think that it should be okay to be in more than one band, assuming the person knows all his parts and is a good bandmember, why be concerned if the guy is in another band?

Then again, some cats can't handle being in more than one band - maybe that's true for him?

Just curious...

Archived