Is anyone "superstitious" about rehearsal the night before a gig?

New Trail

• Members

I always had bad luck with rehearsals the night before a gig, or, worse yet, the DAY of a gig. If the rehearsal went well, the gig didn't, and vice versa. Also, I think if you don't have it together as a band by then it just isn't going to happen. Anyone else?

• Members

There's such a thing as over-rehearsed.

If you've prepped properly, such a rehearsal ought be unnecessary. A rehearsal immediately prior to a show dissipates the nervous energy that helps make the show, and often replaces it with the doubt that can kill a show.

So do your rehearsals at the right time, regularly for enough time to nail everything down, then lay off a day or so prior to the gig.

• Members

if the last rehearsal before a gig is a train wreck then the gig will be great and vice versa.........a great practice is usually followed by a sub par gig.

No not really. What if you had to back up a singer with a nights worth of preparation and learn 16 songs?

• Members

The only thing superstitious we ever did was ,, always start a gig with the same song....... we always did mercy mercy mercy to kick off every gig. It was a great song ,, and we loved the intro where the whole band and brass section came in and dropped the hammer ,, baaaa daaaaaa ba daaaaaaaaaa ba daaaaaaaaaaa then it drops down kinda low in volume and the verse comes in. It was a no brainer song for us too ,,, good ice breaker. The peeps loved it. I never worried about a show ,, but it was always good to get old mercy mercy mercy out of the way and get into the first set.

• Members
I always had bad luck with rehearsals the night before a gig, or, worse yet, the DAY of a gig. If the rehearsal went well, the gig didn't, and vice versa. Also, I think if you don't have it together as a band by then it just isn't going to happen. Anyone else?

If you need to work on stuff and that's the only day that you can do it, why not?

Archived