How do you tactfully tell your frontman to stop the "Celine Dion" stuff?

• Members

Well, that went well. We watched the whole video last night and I brought up a lot of the points that were brought up here. I did the good as well as the bad. I said we all had to improve, I said that we needed less hard stops and less begging to dance to a mystery song. I said we all had to dress better.

The lead singer took it as a personal attack. He said I was a snob, an elitist, and tried to convince me that my parents never married.

So, I quit.

I think the drummer and the bass player will come with me. Which leaves me needing to find a new lead singer and either a lead or rhythm guitarist.

Oh, well.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
Well, that went well. We watched the whole video last night and I brought up a lot of the points that were brought up here. I did the good as well as the bad. I said we all had to improve, I said that we needed less hard stops and less begging to dance to a mystery song. I said we all had to dress better.

The lead singer took it as a personal attack. He said I was a snob, an elitist, and tried to convince me that my parents never married.

So, I quit.

I think the drummer and the bass player will come with me. Which leaves me needing to find a new lead singer and either a lead or rhythm guitarist.

Oh, well.

Sorry, but based solely on what you wrote here, you way overreacted. What did you expect his reaction to be? To say, "You right!!! Thanks, man!"?

I would expect him to react the way you described above. And you to have to ride out the initial reaction a bit. To let it sink in. I'm not talking about you backing down. On the contrary, I'm talking about you sticking to your guns. Which it appears as though you didn't.

:confused:

• Members

What I do in Logan St. band is take any concerns directly to the leader, and allow him to decide if it warrants a band meeting/discussion or not.

He gets respect because he handles all promotion and booking of gigs, plus he's fair, diplomatic, and not easily miffed.

It would not be my place to sit down and watch a video and offer criticism directly to the other band members: who the hell am I to do that?

Just sayin.....:wave:

The exception to that is the drummer: he and I have been friends for 30+ years.

We critique each other's playing all of the time, with no issues.

Other cats....can be real sensitive. I try not to go there: who died and made me the music director, ya know?

Like I said: I think it's best to have a leader in place that can deal with these kinds of things diplomatically - a man can't serve two masters...

• Members

So, I quit.

Oh, well.

They sure got the Craigslist ad out fast:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/muc/1179617812.html

• Members

If you are a "part time" (one or two shows a month) band and have a drummer & somebody that can really sing well that are willing to settle for that, I would put up with quite a bit more then you have complained about before bailing.
Just sayin'.

• Members

What a baby. Criticism is a huge part of being in a band; if he can't take constructive advice like this from people with his own best interests at heart, he is going to have a tough time with any band.

Your gain.

• Members

What a baby. Criticism is a huge part of being in a band; if he can't take constructive advice like this from people with his own best interests at heart, he is going to have a tough time with any band.

Your gain.

Yep.

• Members

I think you did the right thing getting out when you did. I don't believe I'd be satisfied having "chorus girl" running the show. For my money (and time) I prefer a band that can be open. If I'm {censored}ing up? tell me. If you're {censored}ing up? I'm allowed to address that issue. Neither of us have to be hateful, but we all look at things differently. I've yet to meet a real musician who could also be considered a "normal person." We all have our quirks. But figure them out and learn to cope with 'em. It seems to me is all you did was say, "hey dude, here's how we could be better." If that doesn't float in his toilet? {censored} on him.

• Members

I think you did the right thing getting out when you did. I don't believe I'd be satisfied having "chorus girl" running the show. For my money (and time) I prefer a band that can be open. If I'm {censored}ing up? tell me. If you're {censored}ing up? I'm allowed to address that issue. Neither of us have to be hateful, but we all look at things differently. I've yet to meet a real musician who could also be considered a "normal person." We all have our quirks. But figure them out and learn to cope with 'em. It seems to me is all you did was say, "hey dude, here's how we could be better." If that doesn't float in his toilet? {censored} on him.

+1. Couldn't agree more. I think you'll be a lot happier in the long run, I know from my own experience there is nothing worse than playing a gig where you are embarrased to be on the same stage as another member due to the way they act on stage, it compltely kills any ejoyment you could be having. It did for me any ways. Good luck!!!!

• Members

I just watched the video again. IMO, you made the right decision to force the issue. Unfortunately, the Celine Dion tag is gonna stick to that guy. He could be great in other genres of music, but he's pretty lame doing that song, at least, and probably any other song that doesn't require over-emoting, show-tune style.

• Members

Actually, for me, the bigger fail is that somebody, ahem, actually performed this song with a FLYING V!
Argh! That's like a Mega-ultra-uber-blasphemy in my book!
:p

Man, your singer has a REALLY high speaking voice, I was not ready for that - but he does have a really good voice.
Eh, some of the things he was doing were kind of goofy, but you guys were breaking all sorts of my rules (somebody was drinking beer on stage, and that's a no no in my book....that's right up there with using the almighty V for playing this song. :poke: LOL)

• Members
Actually, for me, the bigger fail is that
somebody
, ahem, actually performed this song with a
FLYING V
!

Argh! That's like a Mega-ultra-uber-blasphemy in my book!

:p

Man, your singer has a REALLY high speaking voice, I was not ready for that - but he does have a really good voice.

Eh, some of the things he was doing were kind of goofy, but you guys were breaking all sorts of my rules (somebody was drinking beer on stage, and that's a no no in my book....that's right up there with using the almighty V for playing this song. :poke: LOL)

If drinking beer onstage is breaking a rule I don't want to play the game.

• Members

Yeah, I'd be more worried about his over-vibrato than his busy hands. There was no reason that you guys couldn't have been vamping on the intro riff while he talked like a chump. And he'd talk less, because he'd be conscious of the rest of you, since you were playing. Most likely, though, he wouldn't have had to. Chicks love to dance to that song, and they generally come running when they hear that riff.

Kudos on the top-shelf audience members, though. I don't know what the front of that blonde looks like, but the back was good enough to make it worth it.

I agree.

• Members

I watched the video. Looks to me like you got rid of the best part of your band. The guy gets into it! So. I'd much rather have that than a post. And, he can actually sing. Good singers that can actually sing are hard to find.

I too thought he wasn't dressed much different than anyone else. I'm old school and in the minority on this for sure, but I think you should dress like rock stars. I've never been into the "looks like he just got dressed to mow the yard" look. I believe you should wear something that people will notice and remember. Just sets your band apart from all of the other "bunch of guys" bands out there. But that's just me.

I don't like the begging people to dance bit. I think getting people to dance would be a lot less of a problem for your band if you played the song faster and with more balls. Seemed to me (and I may be wrong about this) like the time wavered too. Nothing will clear a dance floor faster than that.

Archived