How do you tactfully tell your frontman to stop the "Celine Dion" stuff?

• Members

He is a little out there but not too bad, at least he is animated.

As far as the clothes go I think all of you guys should try a little harder. That look seems more in line with an original metal band than a cover band.

Max

^^^This.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As far as the clothes go I think all of you guys should try a little harder. That look seems more in line with an original metal band than a cover band.

What do you mean? I'm wearing jeans and a dress shirt. You mean like ties?

• Members

Euphemism is in the ear of the . . . behearer.

Seriously, there are show-tunes out there. Performers of show-tunes have a style of presentation. It is not the same as, say, the style of rap-artists, or the style of heavy metal bands. His style of presentation (for that song, at least) is not rap, and not heavy metal. If you can come up with a more accurate way to say what he's doing than "show tune-y," I'm all ears. But, I did not mean "show-tune-y" to indicate gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Rebel

• Members

back to real advice:

1) Have band meeting. Discuss EVERYONE dressing a little nicer. Go straw man argument and say people have commented about the band looking "slacker-ish"

2) Also mention that other songs play groups of songs together and you should do that. Also, mention that in songs with distinct intros you should hold the intro an extra few measures to allow people more time to hit the dance floor as well as extend your set time. A singer asking people to dance when there is music playing is far less uncool.

3) He's got spirit fingers. Big deal. Thats 10 million times better than all the vids I've seen posted of frontmen who stand there like they are on a walker. People HEAR albums but they go to SEE a band. He is show tuney. He is animated. He mayhaps has somewhat slightly gay-ish mannerisms. At least he HAS mannerisms and can sing.

• Members

My 2 cents:

Yeah you look like you're in a rehearsal. Talk with everyone about that.
I really don't see a big problem with the singer, look, my problem with MY singer is that he doesn't speak to the crowd (almost) at all. I'm the one who does the talking (very little of it really) we began tying together some songs to avoid "dead air" moments ( I hate 'em).

Just talk to him about what you don't like or what you owuld like him to do.

• Members

Our lead singer is good, but has three distinct problems:

1. He dresses for gigs like he's going to a barbecue. T-Shirt, cargo shorts, and water shoes. And we're not kids, he's in his mid to late 30's.

?

No idea what water shoes are. What do you want him to wear? I prefer not to see musicians on stage with dress shirts tucked into Dockers and tassled slip-ons.

• Members

My only thought is, shut up and play the f'ing song. If its a good song they'll be scampering for the dance floor like they usually do with BLISTER. It really needs acoustic guitar though, IMO.:wave: He does sound like a choirboy singing it. There's no snotty whininess to it.

• Members

Yeah, I'd be more worried about his over-vibrato than his busy hands. There was no reason that you guys couldn't have been vamping on the intro riff while he talked like a chump. And he'd talk less, because he'd be conscious of the rest of you, since you were playing. Most likely, though, he wouldn't have had to. Chicks love to dance to that song, and they generally come running when they hear that riff.

Kudos on the top-shelf audience members, though. I don't know what the front of that blonde looks like, but the back was good enough to make it worth it.

• Members

I dont know...it's not the singers fault that the song didnt start for ages....the guitar starts it..so start ti already - he can talk over the intro riff - as was said before, you just repeat it a few extra times and ppl will come to dance. I wouldnt tend to invite ppl to the dance floor that many times without some music playing behind me (if i was the singer).
As for the clothes....jeans and shoes are a must...i have no issue with T-shirts.
As for the gestures....i think maybe leave him alone. If he stops...you guys are all going to look like you are frozen on the spot.
Sorry - but i kinda gotta side with the singer on this one. Let him do his thing...start the songs and have him talk over intro's or simply talk less and start the song earlier.

• Members

I have no idea what your singer is like as a person but, unfortunately, in my experience people like this don't change no matter how you approach them, and anything you say no matter how you say it will just breed resentment on their part. It's a tough spot to be in, good luck.

• Members

Sorry, I was watching the video and kept getting distracted by the blonde in the white top. Hold on, let me watch again...

...oops, sorry got distracted again. Let me try one more time...

...Ok, still distracted...but watched enough to add my 2 cents.

"Jazz Hands" is the main issue with him, I'd say. What I really LIKE is that he's not afraid to throw some energy into the performance. Honestly, the rest of the band could stand to emit a bit more energy and excitement. So it's almost like he's overcompensating because it's all him. Nobody is interacting with anyone. Maybe if there was more interaction and movement among the band members, and between band members and the singer, he would have a more natural energy flow and wouldn't feel he needs to overcomensate. Just a thought.

You can all stand to dress better. I just saw a bunch of grey blah. So his outfit looked like it fit in somewhat with the rest of you. The shorts and shoes, not so much, but it's all drab grey shirts that look like T's so honestly if I hadn't read the posts prior to the video, I would not have singled out the singer alone in the dressing department.

And I agree with the other posts, begging to come to the stage without a song playing is really asking a lot of the audience. You should start the lick and let it run and then have him invite people up. Heck if it was me, I'd have the lick start and then tell people to come on up, and then run off the stage and grab a couple of friends and pull them to the front and dance with them with the lick going to get things started (it's worked before).

Just my opinion...it's all good.

• Members

Just watched the video. here is my take on it all.

The Blonde seems to have a great body. Post more of her.

Good cover too.

as much as I can see from the video none of you guys are dressed like "rockstars" which is fine but I don't think you can really get on his case about his clothes.

Hell we look like a "bunch of guys" too. It works for us.

As far as the jazz hands and stuff- For Blister In The Sun. It works. Jazz Hands during something heavier like Seasons in The Abyss by Slayer... it would be a problem.

begging people to come to the stage before they even know what song it is... that's just dumb. guitar player- start the song!

• Members

I dont know...it's not the singers fault that the song didnt start for ages....the guitar starts it..so start ti already - he can talk over the intro riff - as was said before, you just repeat it a few extra times and ppl will come to dance. I wouldnt tend to invite ppl to the dance floor that many times without some music playing behind me (if i was the singer).

As for the clothes....jeans and shoes are a must...i have no issue with T-shirts.

As for the gestures....i think maybe leave him alone. If he stops...you guys are all going to look like you are frozen on the spot.

Sorry - but i kinda gotta side with the singer on this one. Let him do his thing...start the songs and have him talk over intro's or simply talk less and start the song earlier.

You're right. The setlist called for "stage banter" (yes he writes down when he's goping to do "stage banter"). When I realized he was going to go on forever, I should've just started the song.

• Members
You're right. The setlist called for "stage banter" (yes he writes down when he's goping to do "stage banter"). When I realized he was going to go on forever, I should've just started the song.

Dude... he writes down "stage banter"? I can understand writing down "band introduction", "reminder for next week's show", "announcement that I tested clean for herpes and the clap" but just "banter" is a really bad idea. It's basically a challenge to himself from himself to make up something funny or engaging on the spot. Having a designated slot for "make up some random {censored} and say it" is a recipe for what happens in the video... which.. was awkward.

just to be clear, though, the guy CAN sing better than most of the singers I've seen in vids posted on this board, myself included... I'm a far superior banterist though ;)

• Moderators

Stage Banter!!!???

I remember in one band, a party cover band. We had a meeting and agreed to this rule;

"Anyone, at any time, can start any song. As long as it moves the set forward... do it."

We were all good players on the same page so it worked. But basically, you'd have a dead spot for 5 seconds and the bass player might start a song that doesn't start with bass. The drummer would get it and fall in. The guitarist might be trying to fix something... meanwhile the floor is packed and the singer is bantering (or not) with an advantage. They're partying and dancing!

The guitarist fixes whatever and shouts 1 2 3 4 Bam...

For whatever reason there might be dead air. Banter without music in a dance club is dead air. Worse actually.

• Members

1. Fire the singer and hire the blonde :love:

2. I'm jealous of the singer's voice. Fire him.

3. I find it hard to believe that anyone in the band could criticize his clothes. You're all on the same level. Everybody on stage looks Sooooo casual that it detracts from the stage presence. Like someone else said, your band's energy level is low. Maybe some kind of stage clothes would even get your band to act a little more "showmanship".

4. "Showmanship" is not a euphemism for "gay".

5. All in all, fine show.

Archived