Rickenbacker guitars

Kramerguy

• Members

Not many people would think to play leads on one, but they are more than capable. They just, as you say, won't sound like a Les Paul or a Strat, and if that's what you want, you should get a Les Paul or a Strat.

I haven't found a guitar yet I wouldn't think to play lead on.:)

I opted for the 620 model because it perhaps seems more of a "lead like" guitar and I saw Mike Campbell playing lead on a similar one when TP & the HBs played here a few years back.

200804_campbell_1.jpg

I recorded mine direct through an ART DPSII at 2:43 on the song Potholes In The Road here:

http://www.unsigned.com/gregmein

At 0:32 I played some more lead with it but must have used GearBox or one of my other amp/effect sims (the counter at unsigned counts back rather than forward).

• Members

The thing about Ricks and Gretsches are that they are more like "collectables" and "furniture" than actual instruments. Sure, you can play them.. but they're more fashion accessories.

Using a Rick or a Gretsch live is like taking a Civil War rifle to an inner city shootout. You can, and it would probably work.. but understand it's more of a stylistic/image choice than anything. Unless you are in the Quarry Men, I'm pretty sure your original intent wasn't to get the "ice-pick sound".. but rather look cool for the girls wearing cat-eye glasses.

The Rick players in the 80's and 90's did it as a response to sweathogs with neon Frankenstrats, and might have actually consciously wanted the sound. 60's players didn't know any better. Modern Rick players 2000-onward are just "peacocking" (look it up on Urban Dictionary.)

• Moderators

The thing about Ricks and Gretsches are that they are more like "collectables" and "furniture" than actual instruments. Sure, you can play them.. but they're more fashion accessories.

Using a Rick or a Gretsch live is like taking a Civil War rifle to an inner city shootout. You can, and it would probably work.. but understand it's more of a stylistic/image choice than anything. Unless you are in the Quarry Men, I'm pretty sure your original intent wasn't to get the "ice-pick sound".. but rather look cool for the girls wearing cat-eye glasses.

I have a sneaking suspicion you're one of those guys who probably says the same says the same thing about Jaguars, Jazzmaster, and the like... even though plenty of pros who tour internationally use those guitars (and Gretsch guitars and Rics) both live and in the studio.

Not everybody's favorite sound is a Strat or LP. :p

I'll never understand people who, when other people choose a guitar that doesn't have their favorite charecteristics, feel they are suddenly somehow qualified to do some kind of over-the-internet psycological evaluation of their reason for choosing a guitar.

:facepalm:

• Members

I'll never understand people who, when other people choose a guitar that doesn't have
their
favorite charecteristics, feel they are suddenly somehow qualified to do some kind of over-the-internet psycological evaluation of their reason for choosing a guitar.

:facepalm:

You're mis-interpreting the message. What he's actually saying is that he's never owned, or played, a Rick or Gretsch and is green with envy.;)

• Members

You're mis-interpreting the message. What he's actually saying is that he's never owned, or played, a Rick or Gretsch and is green with envy.
;)

I've owned a Rick. Each of the guys in my old group had one, and ended up selling theirs for similar reasons.

I made that comment about Ricks and Gretsches, and left out the Jazzmasters and Jags.. because most people pop humbuckers in those (which is why Fender likely put out the black HH version.) It's rare to see a DiMarzio Super Distortion in a Rick or Gretsch.

I absolutely love how Ricks look (620's especially), I just can't find a way to make it work in the context of higher gain rock.

If I was playing music like The Rembrandts or Smithereens, okay. But if I'm looking to do Monster Magnet or the Smashing Pumpkins, forget about it.

• Moderators

I made that comment about Ricks and Gretsches, and left out the Jazzmasters and Jags.. because most people pop humbuckers in those (which is why Fender likely put out the black HH version.) It's rare to see a DiMarzio Super Distortion in a Rick or Gretsch.

I'd disagree that "most people" install humbuckers in Jags and JMs (and it involves routing etc) in fact I know a LOT of players who keep single coil pickups in theirs. (I've used a single-coil-equipped Jag as one of my main guitars for the last decade)

If you don't like single coils that's just fine, but idea that Ric are props or "furniture" because that have a bright sound is... bizarre. Especially sinse so many are such beautifully crafted instruents.

I use the bridge setting on me Tele all the time; it has yet to transform into a coffee table.

• Members

I absolutely love how Ricks look (620's especially), I just can't find a way to make it work in the context of higher gain rock.

That's all you needed to say. Some people, like me, like clear, clean and articulate notes and chords. Sure, I used to play some high distortion metal but that's when I was a kid.

• Members

:eek:

That's all you needed to say. Some people, like me, like clear, clean and articulate notes and chords. Sure, I used to play some high distortion metal but that's when I was a kid.

ricks are great for 60s rock.

• Members

I wanted that "Ricky" sound on a tune I'm recording for my next CD, so I borrowed a 12 string Rick from a friend and was never so frustrated with a guitar in my whole (47 year) life! First I put new strings on it - first mistake. Rickenacker 12 strings are the most poorly designed guitars I can imagine. From the cheesey bridge and saddle to the hard-to-reach tuners, nothing about working on them is easy. Playing it was almost as bad. The neck was way too narrow for 12 strings if you have fingers bigger than the average high-schooler rolls his joints and the guitar was constantly out of tune.

The sound was what I expected, but I was so jaded from my experiences just getting the gawddamn thing ready to play I really didn't care. With all that said, I'd still like to try one of their top-of-the-line 6 strings. It certainly can't be any worse.

• Members

It's mostly the NECK on Rickenbackers, as THB pointed out. They feel freakishly narrow to me, almost feels like a mandolin neck. Obviously some people are OK with the neck, but the 2 minutes I spent trying one out eliminated all desire to own one.

• Members
yeah, I know this isn't the git forum, but I don't know most of the folks there, but I was wondering...

I've never seen a local player using them, nor have I ever seen one for sale in a music store, outside of finding one once at a pawn shop, and it was destroyed IMO.

So what's up with them? Why are they so seemingly rare? Why don't more local guitar players use them?

I play a lot of clean tones these days and thought a Rik would be an awesome addition to my collection (although I can't afford one heh)

Around here, not many bands are looking for the bright, jangly rootsy tones of a Rick. That isn't what they play. If you want something similar at a lot budget, get a Brownsville Choirboy or Thug with toaster pickups. Very sweet tones.

• Members

I've got several Ricks, including a 330, 360, 650D, and a 660/12. I've also got a bunch of other guitars---I'm not a blindered Rick fanboy, but I have concluded that they're good guitars and I like them. As has been discussed above, they won't work for every possible application (e.g., modern high-gain stuff) but my experience has been that my 330 and 360 are VERY versatile. The whole "Ricks are only good for jangle" concept is based on the old style of pickups that Rick used in the 60s (and still uses on some vintage reissue models), but in the early 70s they switched to a different pickup for most of their guitars, and while not quite as jangly, it fits a lot of musical styles pretty well. I play in a cover band and for several years my 360 has been my go-to guitar because it, better than any other guitar I have, will work pretty well for everything I need it to do.

The necks are, indeed, narrow, and IIRC they don't flare as much as some other guitars, so they stay narrower as you go up the neck. This may be uncomfortable for some people and at the very least will be unlike what you're used to if you regularly play Gibsons or Fenders. Personally, I did not find the transition to be that hard. The Rick felt natural and comfortable within a few days of getting it. Also, they have small, low frets, which are out of fashion nowadays, besides being a matter of preference.

There are undoubtedly aspects of Ricks that are anachronistic and, ideally, would be changed, but, for better or worse, a lot of people buy Ricks because they want something like [Musician X] played, and it's unrealistic to expect Rick not to cater somewhat to that powerful market. Re-stringing guitars with the "R" tailpiece can be an ordeal, but it does get easier as you do it more.

A lot of the "one-dimensional" image of Ricks is due to people not trying them in other contexts besides 60s pop. When I got my 360, by coincidence a friend had his JCM-800 over at my house. We cranked that up and ran the Rick through it, and it was incredible! Probably not "high gain" by modern standards, but it was one hundred percent rock, like a ton of bricks.

I'm not saying that they're for everybody, or that everybody should play them, or that everybody will like them, but, I do think it would behoove any player to at least try one out with an open mind. They sound cool, look cool, and can do a lot of things, and believe it or not, some people like the way they play.

• Moderators

Around here, not many bands are looking for the bright, jangly rootsy tones of a Rick.

Believe it or not, I know quite a few bands in these parts with guys who play Rics.

I'd definitely own one myself as their sound is perfect for me... I just can't justify the cost!

• Members

you're used to if you regularly play Gibsons or Fenders. Personally, I did not find the transition to be that hard. The Rick felt natural and comfortable within a few days of getting it.

Re-stringing guitars with the "R" tailpiece can be an ordeal, but it does get easier as you do it more.

I didn't have much trouble transitioning either although I still don't feel like I've got the truss rods adjusted just right yet. I did have trouble changing strings and then finally used a piece of masking tape to hold the end.

• Members

played, and it's unrealistic to expect Rick not to cater somewhat to that powerful market. Re-stringing guitars with the "R" tailpiece can be an ordeal, but it does get easier as you do it more.

A lot of the "one-dimensional" image of Ricks is due to people not trying them in other contexts besides 60s pop. When I got my 360, by coincidence a friend had his JCM-800 over at my house. We cranked that up and ran the Rick through it, and it was incredible! Probably not "high gain" by modern standards, but it was one hundred percent rock, like a ton of bricks.

I'm not saying that they're for everybody, or that everybody should play them, or that everybody will like them, but, I do think it would behoove any player to at least try one out with an open mind. They sound cool, look cool, and can do a lot of things, and believe it or not, some people
the way they play.

That's a remarkably lucid review. Kudos.

:thu:

• Members

The Rick players in the 80's and 90's did it as a response to sweathogs with neon Frankenstrats, and might have actually consciously wanted the sound. 60's players didn't know any better. Modern Rick players 2000-onward are just "peacocking" (look it up on Urban Dictionary.)

actually I brought it up because I like the clean and shimmering tones I've heard from the bands and thought they could work well with my playing style.

I'm married and don't pick up groupies at gigs, so I think your assumptions are flawed.

• Members

Around here, not many bands are looking for the bright, jangly rootsy tones of a Rick. That isn't what they play. If you want something similar at a lot budget, get a Brownsville Choirboy or Thug with toaster pickups. Very sweet tones.

thanks for the suggestions, I will check into those

• Members

I know more than a few people who own them, none who play them onstage. It's because while they have a good clean sound they don't do distortion well. Thats the comment of the owners, not me. That and thier expensive.

• Members

expensive garbage

people slag gibsons for overpricing/expensive headstock/bad quality but ricks take the cake...

if you are a common schlub playing bars and cant afford a guitar tech, avoid ricks..if you are a rock star and CAN afford a fulltime tech, GET a rick..

they sound awesome and look sweet, but man they require more maintenance than any other guitar Ive ever owned...

I went through a beatles phase and bought a few used ricks...they all caused too much trouble and I sold them, thank GOD I didnt pay full price...

I almost bought the 12 string but it was such a pain in the arse to string I said forget it

• Members

I play rhythm in a country rock cover band and my 360 is my go to guitar. Great for my needs. I always get compliments on the sound, plugged into a JC120. I don't use a lot of effects, just keeping with the Ric tone and JC's lush chorus. The RIC is bullet proof and stays in tune. It is ROCK SOLID.

I also have a MIJ Strat and a 335 that I rarely use ....

Archived