NIRVANA: The only important band in the last 15 years?

New Trail

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm beginning to think so...

Anyone that gets their video played 900,000,000 times on MTV will be just as important. Especially if the media industry gets in line and proclaims them the "voice of a generation" immediately afterwards.

That retard never spoke for me. As a matter of fact I still don't have a clue what the {censored} he was rambling on about. Some kind of Nastrodamus like quatrains that add up to "poor me, life sucks". Maybe?

They did have a great drummer though. He makes music instead of emoting all over everyone all the time.

• Members

You must be getting old like me - here's the scary point - Nirvana was done and over more than 15 years ago - Nevermind came out 18 years ago and Cobain died in early '94. YIKES! :facepalm: time flies!

I listen to Nirvana today and find them boring. Even back then I thought Nevermind was their only really great album, but they transformed the popular music scene drastically, so their importance in modern music is undeniable - though it is fading. It seems we're getting back to what we had in the 80's where everything is over-produced... Outside of a few bands (Pearl Jam, RHCP, etc - all holdovers from the late 80's/early 90's) I don't hear newer bands putting out just good rock albums (guitars, bass, drums, vocals without all the crazy production, etc.). For me, that was the best part of Nevermind's release was that it brought back an era of raw music without all the production.

One other band from that era that I feel also has a huge influence on music today is The Counting Crows. Every time I hear Plain White Tees or Augustana or The Fray or (insert singer/songwriter band here with emotional singer...) I can definitely hear Counting Crows influences.

• Members

I too liked Nirvanna for the 'lack of production' sound. Todays generation doesn't really understand that live music does not sound like the album. Of course thats not totally true as certain types of music can sound very close live but in general they are not comparable. Now on the negative side, the entire Seattle/grunge sound can be summed up in two lines from a song I wrote 15 years ago:

"Life sucks, life sucks, life sucks, I'm wearing flannel"

"Life sucks, life sucks, life sucks, I live in Seattle"

The 90's was a total loss musically.

• Members

...I thought Nevermind was their only really great album, but they transformed the popular music scene drastically, so their importance in modern music is undeniable - though it is fading. It seems we're getting back to what we had in the 80's where everything is over-produced.........

Yeah, so-called modern rock like Creed and Nickelback IS overproduced but I think the style still comes originally from Nirvana.

• Members

a year hasn't gone by in time that was a loss musically. You might have missed whatever matter of importance happened but I dare you to find me a year since charts have been kept (hot 100 started at 1958) where a song relevant to today's musician/music listener didn't come out.

• Members

I definately consider myself a nirvana fan but I don't think their music was totally ground breaking. I think they are more or less credited for putting an end to all the happy crappy hair bands that were for some reason considered cool at the time, and I'm thankfull for that.

• Members

I always thought they were ground-breaking in a "dumbing down the great complexity" sorta way. They made simple and raw music at a time when the industry was drowning in over-processed garbage. It was way beyond a 'refreshing change of pace'.

Other than that, because so much as been done already, ANY band that can not only write that simple of music, but accomplishing new, FRESH HOOKS and melodies absolutely inspired two generations of music (although much of it after KC's death was copy-cat {censored})... well, that band is alright by me. I even give Avril props.. the chick can write and play, for real, unlike posers like ashlee simpson..

So.. say what you will, but jealousy is an ugly thing, even 16 years later.

• Members

I too liked Nirvanna for the 'lack of production' sound. Todays generation doesn't really understand that live music does not sound like the album. Of course thats not totally true as certain types of music can sound very close live but in general they are not comparable. Now on the negative side, the entire Seattle/grunge sound can be summed up in two lines from a song I wrote 15 years ago:

"Life sucks, life sucks, life sucks, I'm wearing flannel"

"Life sucks, life sucks, life sucks, I live in Seattle"

:lol:

That's brilliant.

[YOUTUBE]_pN45vzqOz4[/YOUTUBE]

You clearly missed these fellows :evil:

As for the most important band, QUOTSA/Kyuss is certainly one.

White Stripes are another contender.

• Members

I will admit that I pretty much boycotted the 90's after nifty bands like Bush and Creed crawled in. I guess what I noticed in most 90's music was the lack of song writing with actual musical changes. Seemed like it was really cool to repeat the same riff for 5 minutes and then just disguise it with FX and tone changes.

Archived