Burnout

Belva

• Members

I'm new to this part of HC. I've been hangin' out mostly at DIY. I just started gigging again after a long hiatus in late Dec.of last year. I'm in a 3 piece band as the guitar player and we play weekends at local clubs. I've already reached critical mess. I've been sober now over 5 years and I just can't stand the drunks!! Anyone out there in a similar situation? I'd like to keep this going because my normal career field is dead right now. My only income aside from V.A. comp is fixing guitars and gigging.

• Members

I've been clean and sober for 31 years. Drunks don't bother me anymore. If anything, they provide me with a reminder of what I'd be if I drank again.

It took awhile, though. I quit playing when I got sober and didn't play again for a year and a half. When I did start again, I joined a road band and played 6 nights a week for 3+ years on the road. I went to AA meetings during the day in some of the towns we were in and kept in close contact with my sponsor. Over time, I got used to it, and have actually been able to steer some people into recovery. But it wasn't easy at first.

Maybe you just can't handle it. No shame in that. Do what you're comfortable with. Life's too short to do stuff you don't want to do if you don't have to, and it ain't worth risking your sobriety over if there's any chande it might.

• Members

I just hate it when the drunks all wanna put their filthy hands all over me.

Who knows where their hands have been in the bar?

Been sober for 14yrs now and everytime I get on stage I wonder which one of those guys I was out in the bar.

• Members

It has been an awakening. I see myself as I was 5 years ago. Probably is my higher power steering me into a spot that makes me wanna stay sober more.

The asshole who wanted to play my guitar last weekend made me cringe. I'm enjoying the band, but I have to get used to the drunks. Ten years ago I never thought I'd be saying that.

• Members

I was a pretty good drinker back in my day. I quit on my own. bars and drunks dont bother me, but then I play typically for an older crowd. They seem to have the science of getting plowed down so they keep an even keel. I dont like heavy drinkers in the band. We are lucky , no one drinks but the bass player and he seems to have thing on a even keel and puts the music first. we kid him and tell him that he has the job of drinking for the 4 of us who dont drink. Of all the musicans I know ,, the ones that drink alot seem to aways have this cloud of drama around them and the band. its like a roller coaster.

• Members

I want to get a Tshirt or sign that says "Please DONT ask me about my gear."

It seems the guys who want to talk at the end of a gig always want to talk about what gear I use. They ask about your setup, pretending to care, just so they can brag about their gear and how much better it is than yours.

I would rather just wrap up my cables in peace, rather than have to be polite to a stumbling drunk guitarist.

There is this one guy who never remembers our conversations, but he always has to come an ask me the same questions, and tell the same stories. Now I just mess with him and pretend like I don't remember his stories, but then I will beat him to his own punchline.

dk

• Members

I quit due to drinking & driving legal hassles. I haven't gone to AA meetings and don't feel like I need them right now. I might later. And I replaced a guitar player who couldn't stay sober. That's what got him booted. The 3 of us stay sober during gigs. What they do in their own time aint my bidness. Now it's time for me to say thanks to y'all. I'm looking forward to next weekend. It helps knowing you're not the only one!:thu::)

• Members

so, i'm confused.

what exactly are you burnt out on?

are you tired of "dealing" with other people who have had too much to drink?

are you finding it challenging to keep common band hours on the weekends and still meet your other obligations?

is it a combination thereof?

i USED to not be able to stay sober during a gig, and then one day i realized that it was because i literally HATED what i was doing musically. i would get drunk to make it through a 4 hour Top 40 setlist. it was my coping mechanism. then one night my drummer gets picked up for a DUI. could have been any one of us, and it made us stop and reconsider our choices.

moderation is key for so many of us - though i understand that it isn't a possibility for some of us. for some, it's either all or nothing. if that's the OP's case, then don't stress about being at a bar. i was under the impression that most AA meetings were AT bars - so as to demonstrate you can be in such an establishment and NOT drink.

you need supportive bandmates. that goes a long way.

• Members

Good points germs. I should let my fellow bandmates know more about my background. As far as other committments, right now this and guitar/bass repairs are it. I guess it's just part of keeping the sober thing going. Gotta keep learning. But the next a$$hole who comes close to my gear..................

• Members

The asshole who wanted to play my guitar last weekend made me cringe.

Played a wedding on Saturday night. At the end of the night, the groom (fuelled with drunken confidence) asked if my guitar was still set up. He obviously had the intention of playing my gear. The lead singer of the band quickly shut everything off so I could say "Sorry, it's all powered down, mate".

I guess he was expecting me to say "Sure - help yourself to the thousands of my dollars worth of gear up there. Heck, take a beer with you and spill it on my pedals. Put my guitar on, turn around suddenly and smack the headstock onto a speaker stand. Pass it around to your other 'muso' friends and drop it in the process." :mad:

• Members

Drunk: Hey doooood, I {censored}in love Led Zep bro, play some Led Zep

Me: {censored}in good taste, man, Led Zep rules! *launch into Sweet Home Alabama and don't look back*

Cost of drunken damage: $1000. Cost of making a drunk look like an idiot: priceless!

• Members

Most guys start out as couch warriors. some drop back to couch warrior status. many wish they were still in the game. I think you have to evaluate them on their own merit. you are an entertainer. in a bar scene being social is part of that game. no one likes the drunk in their face yackin ya up. Be polite , give them a little time and gracefully move on. it does you no good by coppin the attitude. Its annoying,,, and i would guess that if you think way back you might if you are honest have done it yourself at one time. The comment ,, glad you are enjoying the show, Its cool that you play. Can you excuse me I gotta hit the can fill up my soda and get ready to go back up on stage. Hope you can get out to our next gig,,, name the place and move on.

I used to have to listen to every corp exec that ever took a flying lesson relive some of their experience. I always had other things on my mind , but they were the customers and I took the time. It was good business

• Members

Most guys start out as couch warriors. some drop back to couch warrior status. many wish they were still in the game. I think you have to evaluate them on their own merit. you are an entertainer. in a bar scene being social is part of that game. no one likes the drunk in their face yackin ya up. Be polite , give them a little time and gracefully move on. it does you no good by coppin the attitude. Its annoying,,, and i would guess that if you think way back you might if you are honest have done it yourself at one time. The comment ,, glad you are enjoying the show, Its cool that you play. Can you excuse me I gotta hit the can fill up my soda and get ready to go back up on stage. Hope you can get out to our next gig,,, name the place and move on.

^^^ well put

• Members

I used to have to listen to every corp exec that ever took a flying lesson relive some of their experience. I always had other things on my mind , but they were the customers and I took the time. It was good business

I totally agree.

When I was 24, I had very little time for drunks (or any other idiot that felt the need to bother me with uselessness at shows). I was young and arrogant. However, as I've gotten older (I'm 38 now) I've realized that those idiot are the reason that bar owners keep paying me to do what I love doing.

If the least of my problem is that I have to answer some questions, listen to a few drunken stories and say thank-you a bunch before picking up my cash at the end of the night, I'm doing alright. Hell, they spent 4 hours of their life listening to me play, the least I can do is give them 2 minutes of mine.

• Members

Fortunately I've been cordial. And it doesn't happen every gig. Time to count blessings:

1: Watching babes in tight fitting clothes dance is fun.

2: Being hit on by babes in tight fitting clothes is even more fun.

3: Oh, yeah. The music is a blast!

• Members

It seems the guys who want to talk at the end of a gig always want to talk about what gear I use. They ask about your setup, pretending to care, just so they can brag about their gear and how much better it is than yours.

dk

I avoid this by using gear that no musician in his or her right mind would ever dream of using live on stage.:)

• Members

But the next a$$hole who comes close to my gear..................

LOL Oh man do I feel you on that one!!! I was the same exact way when I was gigging, it used to piss me off so much, it's like what the {censored} are these clowns thinking?!?!?!? I realize the amount of firewater they consumed may be part of it but that's no excuse.

One thing I found that worked really well in those cases was just to say "Sorry dude, it's not mine, I'm just borrowing it for this gig". I realize that's kinda weak but {censored} it, that shut them up and got rid of them every single time!!!

Same went for the guys that just wanted to talk your ear off about gear...again, I realize this is kinda weak but as soon as they started running their mouths I would just be like "Oh that's cool! Sorry to be rude but I've gotta go (fill in the blank, depending on the situation)" and then I'd either run out to my car. go to the bathroom, or whatever. Unless they were REALLY hammered they'd get the point.

As I said I realize that these methods are definitely pretty weak but unfortuanltey in these cases you really have to be polite, there's no way you can be straight up and tell one of these clowns point blank to {censored} off cuz of the possible reprocussions for your relationship with the venue.

• Members

During set breaks I always go out to my truck. No smoking in bars around here and by then I'm having a nic fit! So that does help cut the barroom bs. Trouble is I only see the guys who are really phucked up and try to keep us from getting started on the next set. This happens about every other weekend.

• Members

Fortunately I've been cordial. And it doesn't happen every gig. Time to count blessings:

1: Watching babes in tight fitting clothes dance is fun.

2: Being hit on by babes in tight fitting clothes is even more fun.

3: Oh, yeah. The music is a blast!

You left out the part about getting them out of the tight fitting clothes.

Archived