Odd gig this weekend

newmaxnew

• Members

We played in this town up in the hills that was once known as the Meth capitol of the United States. It was a little bit strange and I am not so sure we want to play in this town again.

There were lots of really drunk people wandering in and out. People that could barely walk not just buzzed but falling down drunk.

We got lots of good comments but not many people danced (maybe too drunk?).

On Saturday there was about four local bands in attendance to check us out. Maybe we were seen as a threat to thier regular gigs, I don't know.

It just seems that this town is just not our kind of people. There are two venues right next to each other. We were told that the other venue would probably not hire us because we have a black guy in our group (backwards ass racist country {censored}s!!!!). However we did OK as that other venue was empty and dead all weekend and the venue we played was fairly busy.

I think maybe we will decline any more gigs in that town and let the local bands have that one!

Max

• Members

We were told that the other venue would probably not hire us because we have a black guy in our group (backwards ass racist country {censored}s!!!!).

We were supposed to play a biker rally in Oklahoma and the lady booking us made a comment that kind of alluded to the fact that some of the bikers might be white supremacists. I said "um... are you aware that our band is comprised of a Jew, an Asian, a Puerto Rican and a black guy?...(pause)...."uh".....(pause)..... "you guys have your own security?".

I would go ahead and let this one go. Unless this is a town where John Lithgow is a preacher who is disallowing dancing and parties and you guys won the gig by virtue of a game of chicken on tractors I would say it isn't worth it.

• Members

I would go ahead and let this one go. Unless this is a town where John Lithgow is a preacher who is disallowing dancing and parties and you guys won the gig by virtue of a game of chicken on tractors I would say it isn't worth it.

+1000, ESPECIALLY if are you looking to purchase a vintage VW Beetle (See Drum forum) and play Quiet Riot at full volume while driving to the venue.

• Members

Funny thing is I was born in this town and my brother graduated from High School there.

Damn they sure do some serious drinking in this town.

I am going to suggest to the rest of the band that we just let this place go.

Max

• Members

Funny thing is I was born in this town and my brother graduated from High School there.

Damn they sure do some serious drinking in this town.

I am going to suggest to the rest of the band that we just let this place go.

Max

:thu:

Definitely sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

I've played gigs like that before - always once.

• Members

We were supposed to play a biker rally in Oklahoma and the lady booking us made a comment that kind of alluded to the fact that some of the bikers might be white supremacists. I said "um... are you aware that our band is comprised of a Jew, an Asian, a Puerto Rican and a black guy?...(pause)...."uh".....(pause)..... "you guys have your own security?".

If I didn't see videos of you guys I would say no way is that real and that you pulled that situation from a movie. :lol:

but I know you didn't!!!!

Hope you didn't play the gig... or if you did how did it go?

• Members

I played a horrible club out of town not too long ago where the soundguy was just there to deal meth out of the club. I'm sure they didn't pay him anything and he "ran sound" for free just to stay close to his customer base.

We use a lot of intellegent lighting and it's all programmed, it takes a few extra minutes to set up but we've got it down so it's not terribly intrusive. Anyway, when we started setting up the rigging he walks up and says "whuts that?", when we told him he says "well I'm not running it". We told him that it was all programmed and we didn't need him to help with anything. He just stood there starring for a minute and then says "pffft....I just don't think you can pull it off".

This was arround show 130 or so. What a dumbass! We did start to get scared though when the opening band's snair sounded like a hollow log drum sample stolen from The Flintstones! So we all ponied up and bought a {censored}load of crank at the last minute!

• Members

If I didn't see videos of you guys I would say no way is that real and that you pulled that situation from a movie.
:lol:

but I know you didn't!!!!

Hope you didn't play the gig... or if you did how did it go?

I believe the discussion went like this:

"Here's the deal. Minh (the Asian). You and Ed (The Puerto Rican) can pretend to be Mexicans. I don't think these guys *like* Mexicans but since we're close to Texas they probably accept them. I can pretend to be Irish (I have red hair). Dave (the black guy)... you're probably {censored}ed and will most likely die and become a martyr for our band. Eh.... Oklahoma is far. Never mind".

• Members

I believe the discussion went like this:

"Here's the deal. Minh (the Asian). You and Ed (The Puerto Rican) can pretend to be Mexicans. I don't think these guys *like* Mexicans but since we're close to Texas they probably accept them. I can pretend to be Irish (I have red hair). Dave (the black guy)... you're probably {censored}ed and will most likely die and become a martyr for our band. Eh.... Oklahoma is far. Never mind".

I rarely sit at my PC and laugh out loud... but I just did and woke my dog. :lol:

• Members

I found out a little more info. There are two venues right next to each other. One is a Mexican place the other a regular bar and eatery. We had contacted the regular bar many times and kept getting the run around, they changed booking people and didn't return calls and so on. I saw that another classic rock band was playing the Mexican place so our singer dropped by and got a gig right then and there.

The owner of the Mexican place told us that he thought that we not hire us next door due to our black singer. However I also found out that these two places don't exactly get along real well so the owner of the Mexican place might just be talking smack about the other guys place.

Max

• Members

On another note, the owner says he used to play drums for Charlie Pride many many years ago. He says that in places like Texas they would show up to set up and nobody would say anything cause they thought they must just be the road crew. Then they would hit the stage and they would be told that those guys are not playing here, they would show them the contract that stated they get paid wether they perform or not.

I guess back then a lot of racist folks didn't know that Charlie Pride was black man.

Max

• Members

I'm just going to mention that it's pretty much awesome that R&B, Hip Hop, Country and Rock are no longer racial categories. I remember the R&B chart being referred to ON THE AIR as "the black chart" when I was a kid.

When I was a kid, they were 'race records'. :eek:

• Members

Meth capitol of the US used to be Cottage Grove, Oregon, according to Nancy Reagan, would that be where you played...???

My neck of the woods BTW.

Nope the queen of talk television Oprah put the crown on this little town in Washington State.

Max

Archived