If I was joining or starting a new band I would want clarification on a few things...

New Trail

• Members

Thread took a weird turn.

There's plenty of middle ground between
never
drinking anything at practice and irresponsible drinking that interferes with getting things done. I mean, half the time I won't drink anything at practice, and the other half I'll have one or two beers. (very rarely more)

Drinking two beers over the course of a two hour practice isn't going to make a productive rehearsal devolve into drunken pandemonium.

:idk:

All true, but it does bring up the point, and the question: "Does the band drink and/or do drugs at rehearsals or gigs?" Valid question, I would think...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

All true, but it does bring up the point, and the question: "Does the band drink and/or do drugs at rehearsals or gigs?" Valid question, I would think...

Sure, it's a valid question I suppose, but... Having to have some kind of explicitly "policy" about things like that usually means, in my experience, that one or more people have substance abuse issues.

I mean, like I said, sometimes it's nice to have a couple beers at practice, sometimes ya don't... and I've been in bands that never drank anything at practice and also ones where it wasn't practice without beer- but it's never been something we had to have a conversation about.

• Members

Sure, it's a valid question I suppose, but... Having to have some kind of explicitly "policy" about things like that usually means, in my experience, that one or more people have substance abuse issues.

I mean, like I said, sometimes it's nice to have a couple beers at practice, sometimes ya don't... and I've been in bands that never drank anything at practice and also ones where it wasn't practice without beer- but it's never been something we had to have a conversation about.

Well, while maybe not a policy thing per se, I could see that I would like to know if a band that I'm considering joining likes to get falling down drunk at gigs or not. It might influence my decision about whether to get with them or not. However I would bet that a lot of professional bands actually DO have policies about drugs, drinking, and a LOT of things.

• Moderators
Well, while maybe not a policy thing per se, I could see that I would like to know if a band that I'm considering joining likes to get falling down drunk at gigs or not.

You know, yes, I'd like to know that too, but thinking back, I don't think I've ever once asked a band I was about to join "So how much do you guys drink at gigs?"

:idk:

• Members

No reason to ask the question ,, just give the band a try ,, observe what you see both musically and from a behavior point of view. If you dont like what you see after a couple practice sessions ,, move on. As they say ,, talk is cheap. I wanna see the walk. Auditions are a longer process from my point of view.

• Members

No reason to ask the question ,, just give the band a try ,, observe what you see both musically and from a behavior point of view. If you dont like what you see after a couple practice sessions ,, move on. As they say ,, talk is cheap. I wanna see the walk. Auditions are a longer process from my point of view.

Regarding beer, I agree...you can see the behavior.

Regarding drugs, that is a different issue due to the illegality of drugs, so asking is smart.

If you don't know someone well, they likely will hide their drug use from you, a newbie to the group. Depending upon which state you are living or traveling in, a traffic stop could be very costly if someone riding in the van is holding more than a very small amount of dope, say enough for a short tour.

• Members

Regarding beer, I agree...you can see the behavior.

Regarding drugs, that is a different issue due to the illegality of drugs, so asking is smart.

If you don't know someone well, they likely will hide their drug use from you, a newbie to the group. Depending upon which state you are living or traveling in, a traffic stop could be very costly if someone riding in the van is holding more than a very small amount of dope, say enough for a short tour.

Asking is pointless ,, you think if they are going to hide if from you ,, they are going to admit to it if you ask? Like I said observe. As for holding in a vehicle. As long as they are not smoking in the car odds of getting popped are nill ,, unless you have to go through checkpoings with dogs like they have down close to the border. I dont care how much a guy smokes before a gig.....I dont like it when they go to the parking lot or car to get high on breaks. Thats a deal breaker.

• Members

Asking is pointless ,, you think if they are going to hide if from you ,, they are going to admit to it if you ask?

People hide dope from new aquaintances. Plus, you don't ask like you are a cop looking to bust them, you ask them if they have something to smoke, like you want to smoke with them.

• Members

People hide dope from new aquaintances. Plus, you don't ask like you are a cop looking to bust them, you ask them if they have something to smoke, like you want to smoke with them.

Ya think? If one wanted to know that info , its best just to wait until they offer.

• Members

Actually, this detour into drugs and alcohol is relevant because it points to the problem of getting beyond the mutual interview process.

People don't read. People don't listen. People have an agenda. The audition last week turned out to be a dead end for these reasons. I may be going forward with the guitar player and some connections that he has, but it's all hypothetical until everyone submits a list of songs designed to get reactions from others. Why do you like it? or not? Won't go over? Not your style?

I would focus on questions that are very specific. When to practice. How far to travel. How often to play. (Are you employed?) Your equipment list. Some important questions may be of limited usefulness because . . . sometimes people lie.

Got a jam on Saturday. Doesn't conflict with World Cup broadcasts . . . . so much simpler.

• Members

I don't think it would be out of line to ask something like "What is the band policy on drinking at gigs and rehearsal." I would be skeptical of anyone who would be weird answering that. Drugs are a BIT different, since they are actually illegal, but who wants to rehearse a whole show with a band and then find out that someone in the band is an alcoholic or druggie, or wait till the first gig and find out one of them likes to get wasted, but only at gigs?

• Members

I don't think it would be out of line to ask something like "What is the band policy on drinking at gigs and rehearsal." I would be skeptical of anyone who would be weird answering that. Drugs are a BIT different, since they are actually illegal, but who wants to rehearse a whole show with a band and then find out that someone in the band is an alcoholic or druggie, or wait till the first gig and find out one of them likes to get wasted, but only at gigs?

If they are a boozer they will bring it to practice. Thats why I have the position on a dry band practice that I do. If you cant get through a practice with out drinking you got a problem. After its fine and I dont have a problem with it. I really dont like to have to break at practice for guys to smoke either. Get in knock out two hours ,, get er done.

• Members

Thread took a weird turn.

I was just joking. Didn't realize that silly post would take things off on a tangent.

FWIW - We drink at most practices. Generally it works like this - practice starts at 6. From 6:30 to 8 we're very productive - usually learn 1-2 new songs a week. Mostly just a couple beers each. Usually around 7:30, a round of shots, which kick in around 8 and practice grinds to a halt. Then we hang out and drink till 9ish, then head home (or sometimes out for sushi or something).

As seriously as we take our band, we are, first and foremost, really good friends who enjoy each others company. We all have jobs; this is a release for us. Recently, I've been avoiding drinking on weekdays, so our Tuesday practice is a sober affair for me. Not so much for the others.

• Members

I am in the drink at practice group. None of us are heavy drinkers, and I would say 60% of our practices are alcohol free. The other 40% we barely go through a case between the 5 of us. One smoker, and no illegal drugs.

However this isnt my "job" I am not there to work. I am there to have fun and rock and roll! So far noone has gotten drunk before a show, after is a different matter though. :D

• Members

However this isnt my "job" I am not there to work. I am there to have fun and rock and roll!

That's a thread starter . . . .

My first reaction is that you are dead wrong, but on second thought, maybe it depends on the difficulty of the songs you play and the music standards of the band. A lot of songs require little if any practice for an experienced musician. Also depends on how long you all have been together.

I have to wonder how many songs you learn, how often you practice, for how long, what's your round trip driving time, equipment set up, etc.?

How much time do you spend during the week practicing your instrument and doing band "homework"?

• Members
That's a thread starter . . . .

My first reaction is that you are dead wrong, but on second thought, maybe it depends on the difficulty of the songs you play and the music standards of the band. A lot of songs require little if any practice for an experienced musician. Also depends on how long you all have been together.

I have to wonder how many songs you learn, how often you practice, for how long, what's your round trip driving time, equipment set up, etc.?

How much time do you spend during the week practicing your instrument and doing band "homework"?

We are a fairly new band been together for 5 months... at about 20 songs right now, mostly opening so we pick about 13 to play.. PLan on stepping up our game and getting out there more.

Practice usually once a week for 2-4 hours.

Equipment stays setup in the jam room, nothing too crazy, Drummer, 2 guitarists, bass and a singer.

Round trip driving time is next to nothing, town of about 25,000 can drive from one end of the city to the other in under 10 min.

I took up the guitar for fun, played it for years for fun, formed this band to have fun jamming with other musicians, and now we play out for fun. Dont get me wrong, I like getting paid when we go out and do a show at a bar, but our main goal is to have fun and do what we love, which is making music.

BTW this isnt me on a pedastol trying to preach that music should be free or any crap like that. I own a guitar store, when its slow I sit down and practice songs, I have TONS of respect for the professional Musician who relys on all his income to come from his music. I dont think our way is better then anyone elses, nor am I trying to say that those who consider it work are wrong. We will never be a touring band, or have this as our first manner of income. We drink beer and make noise. We are ok with that, we are very happy with where we are at, and where we want to get. But thats just us.

:thu:

• Members

.....I took up the guitar for fun, played it for years for fun, formed this band to have fun jamming with other musicians, and now we play out for fun. Dont get me wrong, I like getting paid when we go out and do a show at a bar, but our main goal is to have fun and do what we love, which is making music.......We drink beer and make noise. We are ok with that, we are very happy with where we are at, and where we want to get. But thats just us.

:thu:

That's all fine if what your band plays 'for fun' relates to the crowd in a way that you can keep getting bookings, if bookings are what you want, that is. For example, if playing Mustang Sally, Brown Eyed Girl, Old Time Rock and Roll and other songs of that type are what your band consider 'fun', and the crowd likes it too, then you're okay. However, if your band considers playing all head bangin' metal 'fun' but the bars in your area have country bands, you might have a problem with repeat bookings.

What's the line between a band being "true to themselves" or a band playing songs that will get them repeat bookings in their particular market?

• Members
It might just be me, but I've never understood what was 'fun' about playing cover songs in front of crowds that aren't particularly interested in hearing them.

It is the interaction with the other musicians and how you interact to create your own "take" on a song. Take something like "Born Under a Bad Sign". It's the same song and the main riff is even the same notes, but there is a lot of room for interpretaion. When you compare Albert King's version vs. Cream's version vs. Hendrix vs. verses Allman Brother's version vs. the version by a local guy you admire vs. the Gov't Mule version, etc. Although I started playing in the mid 90s, I was still very interested/influenced in a lot of the 60s/70s bands, bands influenced by them, and bands that influenced them.

How much of a cover is the Allman Brother's version of Statesboro Blues? It sounds nothing like the original. All those bands played tons of covers. Even though it was 94 when I started playing an Nirvana was the biggest band in the world, that's a big reason I wanted to play music in the first place so it's fun to me.:cool:

EDIT: That's why I tell the band I am playing with we should focus on certain places to play. There are certain places where we play "Whipping Post", can improvise the solos, and the venue eats it up! There are other places where they could care less. If we're not going to change the setlist, we should pick places that want to hear the material we are playing. :idea:

• Members
It is the interaction with the other musicians and how you interact to create your own "take" on a song.

I get that, but what do you need the un-responsive audience for? Why not just do that at home where the hours are better and you don't have to lug gear in and out?

EDIT: That's why I tell the band I am playing with we should focus on certain places to play. There are certain places where we play "Whipping Post", can improvise the solos, and the venue eats it up! There are other places where they could care less. If we're not going to change the setlist, we should pick places that want to hear the material we are playing.
:idea:

If you like to improvise on "Whipping Post" and there are venues that eat it up, I greatly recommend your band play those venues.

• Members

I get that, but what do you need the un-responsive audience for? Why not just do that at home where the hours are better and you don't have to lug gear in and out?

If you like to improvise on "Whipping Post" and there are venues that eat it up, I greatly recommend your band play those venues.

I would play with other people as much as possible... it's how you improve. But, the rest of my bandmates are older and won't play for free. I guess I kind of overlooked the part of your statement about an audience who isn't interested in hearing them... I agree with that.

• Members
The rest of us can handle our intake.

And that's the only thing that matters-

I can drive the gig van like a maniac, making gear slam against the van walls. I can man-handle your gear. I can do a LOT of things that would be uncool and destructive to the band. Drinking excessively is only one of them. Can you (rhat) create pre-emptive rules for every destructive idea that enters my head? I bet I will find something you missed :cop:

I enjoy a couple of beers with rehearsals, I can handle that. Don't make me pay for someone else's mistakes and I won't drop your amp down a flight of steps in my clumbsyness.

• Members

That's interesting. I used to be in as band that no gig or rehearsal would happen without drinking and druggin, but I changed the music I was playing and for the last decade plus there is no drinking to speak of and no smokin at all. It's funny how that fits with some scenes and not all all with others. My feeling is that while drinking on a gig may make the gig more fun, nobody will ever convince me that drinking or drugs makes the music better. Logic dictates the opposite, but then you have people like Parker and Hendrix.............

I was just joking. Didn't realize that silly post would take things off on a tangent.

FWIW - We drink at most practices. Generally it works like this - practice starts at 6. From 6:30 to 8 we're very productive - usually learn 1-2 new songs a week. Mostly just a couple beers each. Usually around 7:30, a round of shots, which kick in around 8 and practice grinds to a halt. Then we hang out and drink till 9ish, then head home (or sometimes out for sushi or something).

As seriously as we take our band, we are, first and foremost, really good friends who enjoy each others company. We all have jobs; this is a release for us. Recently, I've been avoiding drinking on weekdays, so our Tuesday practice is a sober affair for me. Not so much for the others.

• Members
My feeling is that while drinking on a gig may make the gig more fun, nobody will ever convince me that drinking or drugs makes the music better.

I totally agree with this statement. This may come off as cocky YMMV, but the music we play is not very challenging for me. A couple shots ain't going to make even a little difference to my performance. We don't get sloppy drunk during practice or gigs. Afterward is often a different story ;) Now I will say I see a definite improvement, both in me and Meagan, in our PERFORMACE after a few drinks. Meagan's more apt to jump into the crowd, etc. But in terms of musicality, nah....

• Members

My three current projects normally don't drink at rehearsal. It's not that we're teetotallers - but simply that rehearsals are usually weeknight affairs and come sandwiched between what's normally been a very long day and what's sure to be an early next morning. We're pretty efficient about rehearsal being a "get in, play our notes - get out" sort of affair.

Gig drinking is a different matter. Only one band has any of what I'd consider to be heavy drinking going on. Even then, the guys do pretty good about holding it together throught he night. Personally, I'm doing most gigs dry these days. Again - not cause I don't enjoy my drink (I do!). However, I'm finding that in my old age - the combination of trying to juggle three set lists for three groups - each of which only plays once or twice a month means that I need to concentrate on what I'm doing. I've also realized that if I start drinking ealy in a 4 set gig - there's a good chance my ass will be dragging before the end of the night. So ... I usually play straight and party on my own time.

Archived