99 Degree Gig

ski219

• Members

We are playing a local "town green" concert tomorrow from 6-8pm. It's going to be in the upper 90s. Any way to stay cool? Figure I'll wear some light linen pants and a loose fitting Hawaiian shirt. Should I bring a fan?? I wonder if people will show or if the heat will keep 'em indoors?

• Members

My fan is indespensible...it stays in the trailer so I'll never forget it.

These Honeywell turbo models do a great job, and they're not expensive.

I'm a huge proponent of the Vornado. Once you use one, you'll never go back to the lookalikes.

Vornado_Whole_Room_Air_Circulation_Clip_

It's a clip-on but it comes with a base. Strong enough that we can clamp one on to our front lighting truss and I can feel it back at the drums.

• Members

I play in the Florida Keys, mostly outdoor one-nighters here in the land of heat and humidity. Gotta have the fan! I call mine the president of my fan club, or my biggest fan. It's the only thing that makes some of these gigs bearable during the summer and fall months here.

• Members

I play in the Florida Keys, mostly outdoor one-nighters here in the land of heat and humidity. Gotta have the fan! I call mine the president of my fan club, or my biggest fan. It's the only thing that makes some of these gigs bearable during the summer and fall months here.

Yup, I'm also doing outdoor acoustic one-nighters in the deep south. As John mentioned, it's not only the heat, but the excessively high humidity. It's oppressive. We've had days recently where the heat index was nearly 110 degrees. Many of the gigs start while the sun's still out, so it's freakin' hotter than the fires of hell. I've even done an afternoon show when it was around 95.

A fan is indispensable! Also, I drink a lot of water starting about mid-day of the gig. I mean a LOT of water. I usually shoot for a gallon. You've got to do it early enough in the day to make sure you're hydrated well and you have time to work through the "hitting the restroom every five minutes" side effect.

Also, for the fellas, dusting your junk with a little Gold Bond can help keep you cool and dry during those hot gigs.

Over the past year or so, I've been a big proponent of the "no shorts" philosophy. I typically wear khaki pants and some type of button down short sleeve shirt. However, in recent weeks, I've decided that the shorts aren't such a bad thing. If I'm playing an outdoor gig where all of the restaurant staff and all of the patrons are wearing shorts, then it's okay for me. I still make sure I wear a nice shirt with a collar, though.

• Members

I have played a few real hot ones in Arizona in July. Wear loose fitting clothes if you can. Drink lots of water (if you stop sweating you are in trouble). A fan is always a good idea. I always bring a Stanley fan that I can p0int up at my head, and as a bonus it has two power outlets.

Max

• Members

sweatykev.jpg

Indoor or Outdoor doesn't matter when the crowd is wall to wall! Our gig last Saturday night was in a small bar on the side of a lake that had an occupancy level of maybe 100 to 125. We had 245 people pay at the door and there were prolly 30 people on the guest list and some that didn't even come in, just partied in the parking lot! No a/c was going to keep up with that! It was cooler outside with a night temperature of 80 degrees, no humidity, and a nice breeze!

• Members

There was also a study done recently about drinking slushies/Slurpees/Icees, and either exercize, or simply being out in oppresive heat.

Since the temperature of those is below freezing, they can cool your core temp down even further than your usual cold beverage.

• Members

51%2BGW3mO6hL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not cheap, but miraculous, bulletproof, and even has power outlets that don't make your amp buzz. It's like a power strip that keeps you cool with a 45mph focused blast of air.

That is the same fan that I and my wife both use on stage. They work great!.

Max

• Members

I always have my fan onstage for any hot gigs. It's a little 12 dollar fan from Walgreen's and it kicks ass! I point it right up at my face, and it's love.

As for shorts...whenever we play the Keys or an outside event during the day, I wear shorts. Not jean shorts, but dressier shorts. If it's above 80 degrees I sweat in the shade. If I was getting paid a lot of money for a professional show, as part of the outfit, I'd wear pants. That's it though.

• Members

There was also a study done recently about drinking slushies/Slurpees/Icees, and either exercize, or simply being out in oppresive heat.

Since the temperature of those is below freezing, they can cool your core temp down even further than your usual cold beverage.

Cooler than Budweiser? No way!!!

• Members

I survived. I wore shorts, brought a fan from home and it helped. Drank lots of cold water and some Gatorade. We played 2 hours without a break other than for switching guitars and tuning. Sweated a lot... after the show I was shot. Due to the heat, the audience was about half the size they normally get for these shows but they liked us and they say they want us back next summer. It was in the high 90's when we set up and at least mid 90's when we played...earlier in the day temps topped 100 degrees.

Archived