I'm tired of playing guitar

rim

• Members

I'm tired of playing electric guitar in band setting anyway, as I still enjoy playing acoustic guitar solo. Is there a secret to getting the desire back?

Up to about a year ago, I was playing guitar in rock cover bands - no huge success but enough gigs to make it fun and have some extra cash. This week, two of my ex-band members (who are in two separate bands) have asked me if I wanted to audition for their band. I agreed thinking maybe it's time to get back to it but as I'm practicing (I've picked up the electric only a dozen times in the last year), I'm not finding joy in playing like I used to - seems like I'm just going through the motions to many of the songs. Now I'm starting to doubt whether going to the auditions is a good idea. I'm still inclined to go just to see if being in a band setting will make a difference or not. Any advice?

Something important I need to add: I've been learning the drums and I'm currently in a rock band playing drums and enjoying that a lot. Although we do a couple of originals, we're currently doing mostly covers just to get our song list long enough to play gigs so I don't think it's a matter of originals vs. covers.

And it's not like I'm a virtuoso on guitar - there are definitely many things I can still learn but I just don't seem motivated to improve my guitar playing. OTOH, I'm really enjoying learning new things on drums and I want to keep learning more.

Dunno. Never had this happen before.

• Members

Yeah this happened to me a while back. I was getting into the drums and not playing guitar as much. But I went back to guitar, it's my main instrument and the one that I write songs with the most. Playing the drums did help my timing out tremendously though.

There's infinite possibility with the guitar and there's still loads of unexplored sounds and techniques waiting to be discovered. You'll be back :)

• Members

I pretty well quite guitar too ,,, my main instrument is keys. Its sad because i do have some nice guitars. i have even used the sell word

Wow, that's what happened to me, keys are main instrument, used to be guitar was second and I owned a dozen at one time. Now my bass playing is respectable so that's number two and my guitar playing has faded away. I've sold several.

Now back to the OP and the topic at hand. I understand boredom and the same old same old not being so fulfilling any more. What do you do when that happens? Find a teacher who is way more talented than you are and take lessons. If you can't afford lessons then find a mentor. I assume you are not top dog in the community from the way you talk. Go to the top dog and ask him to share some of his best mojo with you. I think most guys with talent are happy to mentor. Or maybe just watch people better than you are for awhile. I mentioned on another thread awhile back the day I shared the stage with Mark Stein of Vanilla Fudge. There are some things in my bag of tricks I think I do better than most but when it comes to pure B-3 technique Mark could write a master's course. I tried to absorb all I could just watching his hands work the keyboard. I got a lift for quite awhile from that inspiring day.

• Members

For me, it's been just the opposite. When I started out playing music, it was all about the keyboards...piano, organ, synthesizer...anything with a keyboard, I was into it.

Then I started experimenting with bass guitar and drums a bit, figuring I'll always find plenty of guitarists. No need to learn it right? Well, I found that there weren't any guitar players that played in the style I enjoyed, so I decided to learn on the acoustic. Then I started getting into heavier music and saved up to buy an electric guitar and amp.

I can relate a bit though, because I became conflicted as I played keyboards in bands. If I would have been doing it in my early to mid teens, I probably would have been satisfied just being a keyboardist/vocalist. But because I joined a band in my later teens, my focus already shifted to guitar, first rhythm then lead.

Now I can't put guitar down, even though I know there are people way, way better at it than I am. I just really enjoy playing it and it was the last instrument I was even interested in to begin with! Weird, huh?

As for your situation, I would just play some songs that make you want to play electric guitar. Something with a cool riff or interesting melodic solo...just something to work on so you can renew your interest in it.

• Members

Now back to the OP and the topic at hand. I understand boredom and the same old same old not being so fulfilling any more. What do you do when that happens? Find a teacher who is way more talented than you are and take lessons. If you can't afford lessons then find a mentor.

That's a good idea. I took guitar lessons for about a year when I was 14 but just taught myself since then. Also, I learned a lot about drumming from YouTube but I never searched for guitar how-to on it so I can definitely do that.

You're probably right about the boredom part, too. Since the two bands have many songs from the band we were all in, and I'm lazy, I've just been re-learning what I already knew before. I should focus on learning the songs I don't know and that may make it fresh.

It's funny how a couple of you had switched from guitar to keys because I also play keys and both bands also want me to play keys. I've never played keys in a band before so that part could be interesting but I don't know too many songs on the set lists that require keys. I could YouTube that, too, for some inspiration.

Thanks!

• Members

I put my electric guitars down for many years (I went back to school to get my degree) and only played my accoustic. When I was ready to go back to my electrics, it was new and fresh again. But then again, the band that got me to pick up my electrics really helped too. They were so much fun to play with that I was inspired again. Sometimes a break is a good thing.

• Members

Wow, that's what happened to me, keys are main instrument, used to be guitar was second and I owned a dozen at one time. Now my bass playing is respectable so that's number two and my guitar playing has faded away. I've sold several.

Now back to the OP and the topic at hand. I understand boredom and the same old same old not being so fulfilling any more. What do you do when that happens? Find a teacher who is way more talented than you are and take lessons. If you can't afford lessons then find a mentor. I assume you are not top dog in the community from the way you talk. Go to the top dog and ask him to share some of his best mojo with you. I think most guys with talent are happy to mentor. Or maybe just watch people better than you are for awhile. I mentioned on another thread awhile back the day I shared the stage with Mark Stein of Vanilla Fudge. There are some things in my bag of tricks I think I do better than most but when it comes to pure B-3 technique Mark could write a master's course. I tried to absorb all I could just watching his hands work the keyboard. I got a lift for quite awhile from that inspiring day.

i did take some lessons a few years ago ,,, My hands are not in the best shape either. I ended up with a trigger finger from playing lead and had to have it cut on to get if fixed. I am playing keyboards alot these days so I really dont have alot of time and adding woodshedding guitar to all the keyboard work migtht push me across the repetitive motion line. last week i played 5 3 hour gigs. this week will only be 3 ,, got sat night off for the first time since i got down to SPI. Prolly go catch a friends show tonight and do a little bar hoppin and rest up for the sunday show.

• Members

I put my electric guitars down for many years (I went back to school to get my degree) and only played my accoustic. When I was ready to go back to my electrics, it was new and fresh again.

This is what I'm starting to be afraid of - that my break hasn't been long enough yet.

I looked up the songs that I didn't know previously and still had no inclination to learn them. I'm starting to doubt I want to be playing guitar in a band in front of an audience (which used to be the main goal - it certainly wasn't the money and unfortunately, it wasn't the women either :p )

The first audition is later today so I'm gonna cancel it. The other one is Wednesday so I may try to "get it back" but it may simply just be too soon and I may end up canceling that one, too.

I guess I'm trying to force myself back into it because I don't like the idea that I've given up guitar completely when it was something I did almost on a daily basis for thirty years. But I do still play acoustic once a week so that counts.

Thanks for the support and listening to me whine. :)

• Members

I think that to be in a band there has to be a drive beyond just playing an instrument. There's just too much work and effort involved in having a good band that goes beyond just playing an instrument which can be done alone at home to great satisfaction if it's only about the playing.

For me, it's the love of performing. If it wasn't for gigging, I don't know that I'd play at all.

For others it's about the love of writing songs and/or colaborating with other musicians that makes being in a band worth it.

But I think if you're just expecting the enjoyment you get out of playing guitar to be reason enough to join a band, it's not going to be enough.

• Members

Rim: Long time, no see! When are you gonna get your ass back over here to DE?

My advice: go out to see some bands. Your gut will either let you know that it's time to let it go or you'll be chomping at the bit to get back in the game (for me, the bad bands made me want to do it better - the good bands made me want to be better).

Like others have said, it may just be a change of scenery (e.g.: a new band/lineup) that you need.

• Members

Hey Mike, I know it's been a while! Unless I join Cathy's band, I'm not sure a DE gig is any time in my immediate future.

Glad you're still slinging the axe! When is your band gonna play on my side of the Mason Dixon Line?

• Members

Hey Mike, I know it's been a while! Unless I join Cathy's band, I'm not sure a DE gig is any time in my immediate future.

Glad you're still slinging the axe! When is your band gonna play on my side of the Mason Dixon Line?

No need for it to be a gig! Come hang out at the beach! :thu:

As far as us making it anywhere across the Bay Bridge, not sure about that ever happening. Our drummer is from OC, so we're scheduling our gigs as close to the shore as possible.

• Members

It seems to me that every musician should be able to play guitar, keys, bass and drums. Also I think it's important to record, mix and master music as well as be proficient at software programs and plug-ins like Reason, Ableton Live, Moog Modular V, SampleTank, Logic, Digital Performer, Sonar, etc.

If you've got time to be bored, you're not getting anything accomplished.

But that's just me I guess.:idk:

• Members

It seems to me that every musician should be able to play guitar, keys, bass and drums. Also I think it's important to record, mix and master music as well as be proficient at software programs and plug-ins like Reason, Ableton Live, Moog Modular V, SampleTank, Logic, Digital Performer, Sonar, etc.

If you've got time to be bored, you're not getting anything accomplished.

But that's just me I guess.
:idk:

trying to figure out if you're serious...... naaaaaaa, you said master music, right, you're kidding. The rest I can do, lol.

• Members

trying to figure out if you're serious...... naaaaaaa, you said master music, right, you're kidding. The rest I can do, lol.

Mastering song files is what I meant, as in adjusting the final level, eq, and overall volume of your songs. Looking at it I see how it could be misconstrued.

Mastering music as in having complete knowledge of the fretboard/keyboard and the simultaneous ability to coordinate the mind and fingers for complete exploitation of the same is only a dream.:)

• Members

Turn a good tube amp up to "11", strike, nay wallop an open chord of your preference. And walk toward the amp until you get feedback.

If that doesn't do it for you, its time to kill yourself.

dk

One could also make the argument that if that's all it takes to do it for you then you might as well kill yourself, or perhaps, just give it up.:poke:

Archived