I'm tired of playing guitar

rim

• Members

Used to haul an M3 around, and a Rhodes stage piano. The thrill is not having to do that anymore.

If I had that stuff I wouldn't even dream of taking it to the {censored}hole bars around here. Behringer gear is too good for most these places.

Actually I'm still better known for my guitar playing and that's where my best vintage gear is. I've only got a couple keyboards.

I recently sold an older MacBook Pro and an M-Audio Keystation 88es with the intention of getting that new Casio Privia PX3 but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. It's getting great reviews; weighted keys and yet the whole thing weighs in at less than 25 pounds.

• Members

If I had that stuff I wouldn't even dream of taking it to the {censored}hole bars around here. Behringer gear is too good for most these places.

Actually I'm still better known for my guitar playing and that's where my best vintage gear is. I've only got a couple keyboards.

I recently sold an older MacBook Pro and an M-Audio Keystation 88es with the intention of getting that new Casio Privia PX3 but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. It's getting great reviews; weighted keys and yet the whole thing weighs in at less than 25 pounds.

I'm vintage enough to wish I still had most of my old gear and all of my old muscle cars. Most of the gear I take to gigs now was bought dirt cheap at pawn shops except for the MO-6. My Yamaha CS1x got dumped on the floor last gig by someone "trying to help" and the whole left end broke into pieces including the pitch bend and mod wheels. Even though I bought it for $130 I'm rather fond of it so I'm hoping to epoxy it back together.

I avoid weighted keys because I want the lightest keyboards to haul and the least strain on my fingers and hands I can get.

• Members

I'm vintage enough to wish I still had most of my old gear and all of my old muscle cars. Most of the gear I take to gigs now was bought dirt cheap at pawn shops except for the MO-6.

I'm the same way. With the exception of my Motif, which I purchased new in 2001, all the rest of my stage gear is used and I hate to pay more than $200 for anything. It's time to replace the Motif and I'm considering another new board, though. Just because it is so much the centerpiece of my rig. (Anything else fails and I can limp through the set, the Motif goes down and I'm pretty much {censored}ed.)

I avoid weighted keys because I want the lightest keyboards to haul and the least strain on my fingers and hands I can get.

In addition to not wanting to haul such a keyboard around, I would have absolutely no use for fully weighted keys except to play piano. Trying to play organ and most synth parts on weighted keys would be worse for me than playing piano on non-weighted keys is.

I really like my semi-weighted Roland A-37 controller for size, weight and action. (And the fact I got it for less than $200 used...) But there are some performance aspects to it I don't like so I've always got an eye out for another good used cheap controller.

• Members

In addition to not wanting to haul such a keyboard around, I would have absolutely no use for fully weighted keys except to play piano. Trying to play organ and most synth parts on weighted keys would be worse for me than playing piano on non-weighted keys is.

In my last couple of groups I was hauling my Korg TR88 (just shy of 50lbs) and on top I had my faithful old Roland XP-30 (61 key synth). Most of my keyboard playing is piano, hence the TR88 but I had the Roland for synth, horn and string sounds.

The good reviews on the Privia PX3 center on two things; low price ($800) and low weight (less than 25lbs for a fully weighted piano keyboard). Both those things make it appealing to me.

• Members

Hey, late to the convo here..

But I thought I have something to add to this.

I stopped playing for nearly 6 years. At first it was just dropping to weekends only, then to every other, then once a month.. etc.. over about 2 years.

What especially frustrated me was that every time I picked it up and tried to play through something I loved, I fumbled more, played it worse.. couldn't get the tone right anymore... couldn't play the solo right..

So as I played less, I got worse and worse. After a while of course, the lack of even calluses made trying to play painful.

So next thing I know, I hadn't played in 4 years.

I didn't fall back onto another instrument, but I always still thought about guitar.. didn't obsess or anything, just that when I heard a song from like Rush or Pink Floyd, I would listen to the guitars moreso than the rest of instruments in the song.

What motivated me was getting a new guitar and amp - both of which were way off the beaten path of what I was used to in my past (semi-hollow epi and a tube amp).. and I found the guitar very agreeable.. and the tone of the amp as well...

So they just sucked me in bigtime. Next thing I knew, I was practicing 4 hours a day almost every day (like the old days!) and improving at an amazing speed...

Since then, I've embraced other instruments such as drums, keys, violin, bass guitar, and even trying backup vocals (great key, lousy voice lol) - I'm looking forward to trying out clarinet, oboe, french horn, and other odd instruments such as xylophones, ukulele, and sitar. All of it seems to keep music alive for me.. but guitar always was and always will be my first love.

I hope you (OP) find your motivation, inspiration, or whatever it is that makes you love music as more than just a listener-

• Members

I don't see what the big deal is if you are enjoying the drums and want to continue to focus on playing them.
:confused:

A lot of it is just me - I guess I don't like the idea of giving up something that I'd enjoyed for thirty years. But hopefully, I just need a longer break and I'll be back into it.

Another part is, I just miss being in a band with those two friends (and they need a guitarist, not a drummer).

Anyway, I canceled both auditions. Onward and drumward. :)

• Members

I used to get lost in analog patch cables in the early 70's, started gigging in the mid 70's, later started sequencing in 1986. In the 90's I used to carry too much crapola to gigs. I played other instruments in public, as well. I am a guitar owner...

In recent years, I started hauling less gear. This is my favorite sound at home, right now. @ OP, I am a bad guitar player, try something different.

IMG00724-20101114-2057.jpg

• Members

:thu:

I'm tired of playing electric guitar in band setting anyway, as I still enjoy playing acoustic guitar solo. Is there a secret to getting the desire back?

Up to about a year ago, I was playing guitar in rock cover bands - no huge success but enough gigs to make it fun and have some extra cash. This week, two of my ex-band members (who are in two separate bands) have asked me if I wanted to audition for their band. I agreed thinking maybe it's time to get back to it but as I'm practicing (I've picked up the electric only a dozen times in the last year), I'm not finding joy in playing like I used to - seems like I'm just going through the motions to many of the songs. Now I'm starting to doubt whether going to the auditions is a good idea. I'm still inclined to go just to see if being in a band setting will make a difference or not. Any advice?

Something important I need to add: I've been learning the drums and I'm currently in a rock band playing drums and enjoying that a lot. Although we do a couple of originals, we're currently doing mostly covers just to get our song list long enough to play gigs so I don't think it's a matter of originals vs. covers.

And it's not like I'm a virtuoso on guitar - there are definitely many things I can still learn but I just don't seem motivated to improve my guitar playing. OTOH, I'm really enjoying learning new things on drums and I want to keep learning more.

Dunno. Never had this happen before.

I'll take your shit then, let me know.:thu:

• Members

I'm tired of playing electric guitar in band setting anyway, as I still enjoy playing acoustic guitar solo. Is there a secret to getting the desire back?

Up to about a year ago, I was playing guitar in rock cover bands - no huge success but enough gigs to make it fun and have some extra cash. This week, two of my ex-band members (who are in two separate bands) have asked me if I wanted to audition for their band. I agreed thinking maybe it's time to get back to it but as I'm practicing (I've picked up the electric only a dozen times in the last year), I'm not finding joy in playing like I used to - seems like I'm just going through the motions to many of the songs. Now I'm starting to doubt whether going to the auditions is a good idea. I'm still inclined to go just to see if being in a band setting will make a difference or not. Any advice?

Something important I need to add: I've been learning the drums and I'm currently in a rock band playing drums and enjoying that a lot. Although we do a couple of originals, we're currently doing mostly covers just to get our song list long enough to play gigs so I don't think it's a matter of originals vs. covers.

And it's not like I'm a virtuoso on guitar - there are definitely many things I can still learn but I just don't seem motivated to improve my guitar playing. OTOH, I'm really enjoying learning new things on drums and I want to keep learning more.

Dunno. Never had this happen before.

I think you must follow what your instinc, I mean you enjoy something what you do. That's your best choose and I believe you'll success with your choice

• Members

A lot of it is just me - I guess I don't like the idea of giving up something that I'd enjoyed for thirty years. But hopefully, I just need a longer break and I'll be back into it.

Another part is, I just miss being in a band with those two friends (and they need a guitarist, not a drummer).

Anyway, I canceled both auditions. Onward and drumward.
:)

Rim, I don't think you need to quit altogether. If you have been playing for 30 years you are probably over the rockstar thing and enjoy playing music. There's no reason you still can't pick up a guitar from time to time. It sounds like you are enjoying the drums more at this point... nothing wrong with that.

If you have the time to do both, then maybe you can pull it off. If not you'll have to pick, but we all got to make compromises when it comes to our time.

Archived