The greatest American band of all time is...

New Trail

• Members

I'd put it the other way around. Even the cheesiest of hair bands put a lot of time into their playing, singing, and showmanship.

Nirvana's tunes were, generally speaking, more harmonically sophisticated than the hair band stuff. Also, ever try to play and sing "Come As You Are" at the same time?

Kurt wasn't one to showboat, but he was no slouch, either, when it came right down to it.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd put it the other way around. Even the cheesiest of hair bands put a lot of time into their playing, singing, and showmanship.

Eh, I don't know about all that.

A lot of those cats leaned on ghost players in the studio (Hello Warrant!), and when you saw em live, they SUCKED.

Motley Crue sucked live for years: too loud, sloppy.....They're better now live than they ever were back in the day. I saw a lot of hair bands back then that couldn't deliver live what was on the record.

Iron Maiden on the other hand? Real deal.

• Members

Eh, I don't know about all that.

A lot of those cats leaned on ghost players in the studio (Hello Warrant!), and when you saw em live, they SUCKED.

Motley Crue sucked live for years: too loud, sloppy.....They're better now live than they ever were back in the day. I saw a lot of hair bands back then that couldn't deliver live what was on the record.

Iron Maiden on the other hand? Real deal.

I can't speak to that as I was born in 1985 :lol: - I'm just comparing what's on the CD's or what I've seen live recently. I have seen groups like Cinderella, Firehouse, Tesla, etc. in the past 10 years and they've mostly been really good (especially Tesla). The worst concert I've seen was actually Deep Purple with Ian Gillan - the guy just couldn't sing those songs anymore and Steve Morse, despite being amazing, put on a pretty boring show.

But Maiden definitely blows most everyone away, that much is very true.

• Members

Wade, you playing anywhere tonight? I'm considering hypocritically going to Headliners.
:D

Damn dude I just now saw this- yeah we did. We played for the door at this little joint in j-town.

I made five freaking bucks dude but we played well. I had fun anyway. Wound up having people buy me probably one too many beers.....started late at owners request and went till 2:30 not counting the "jam session" with 2 audience members.

I bhad to sit it out for a good hour and a half before I hit the road lol.

• Members

I can't speak to that as I was born in 1985
:lol:
- I'm just comparing what's on the CD's or what I've seen live recently. I have seen groups like Cinderella, Firehouse, Tesla, etc. in the past 10 years and they've mostly been really good (especially Tesla). The worst concert I've seen was actually Deep Purple with Ian Gillan - the guy just couldn't sing those songs anymore and Steve Morse, despite being amazing, put on a pretty boring show.

But Maiden definitely blows most everyone away, that much is very true.

Yeah, Cinderella plays well if you can catch Kiefer on a night when he can hit the notes LOL.

Maybe he's better now - less drugs....lol. Tesla: yeah, I've always dug them. Skilled band for sure but not too flashy - real meat and potatoes. Their bassist makes that band IMO - solid and great tone. Kiefer's no joke on guitar either.

• Members

hard to not at least give them serious consideration!

Agreed.

I decided to go with the Eagles and The Ramones for two different reasons:

The Eagles because, as has been mentioned, they A) are probably THE best selling American band of all-time AND they are a great example of all members making major contributions. Plus their catalog is remarkably consistant. The only thing NOT in their favor is that, for all their success, they don't really seem to be all that influential. (Maybe more so with modern country acts?) I can't think of very many times I've read interviews with musicians who listed the Eagles as a major influence. Which brings me to

The Ramones. I can't think of any American band for whom I've seen MORE mentions of them as an influence. Bands throughout the 80s, 90s and even today will name The Ramones as a major influence on their music and style.

• Members
Yea Genre...

I try to think of "the" defining band in American music, and all that comes to mind is Led Zepplin lol! And for bar bands AC/DC lol x2.

As far as great american goes, yea Eagles is a good one, why not.

well, Chuck Berry's riffs/licks defined a lot of the stuff that was later carried out by rock guitarists throughout the world, including many of the British players/groups.

• Members

The Eagles because, as has been mentioned, they A) are probably THE best selling American band of all-time AND they are a great example of all members making major contributions. Plus their catalog is remarkably consistant. The only thing NOT in their favor is that, for all their success, they don't really seem to be all that influential. (Maybe more so with modern country acts?) I can't think of very many times I've read interviews with musicians who listed the Eagles as a major influence.

Agreed on the Eagles. Another reason: they transcend a single genre - country, rock, even (cough) dabbling in disco a bit with the "One of These Nights" album. But the biggest reason I would nominate them as the definitive American band is their lyrics (and sound) that so often capture the AMERICAN ETHOS:

"Standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"..."Come down from your fences and open the gate"..."In one hand I've a bible, in the other I've got a gun"..."We haven't had that spirit here since 1969"..."I'm out on the border, don't you tell me about your law and order"..."Sock hop soda pop basketball and auto shop"..."Easy money and faithless women"..."City girls just seem to find out early how to open doors with just a smile"..."I have a mansion, forget the price"..."They threw outrageous parties, they paid heavenly bills"..."Life in the fast lane"... I could go on and on.

• Members

With how pervasive hip hop/rap has become in modern music, I think Public Enemy and NWA need to definitely enter into the discussion as well.

Yeah, they started the gangsta-rap dealio.

{censored} them though. You gotta put Dre' and Snoop at the top of the list for rappers that had style AND substance: they made classic cuts that will survive the coming rap implosion. That gangsta {censored}'s going the way of disco. Be ready for it.

Have you heard the latest crop of gangsta rap? It's almost like what happened with be-bop, with the ridiculous tempos. It's just a bunch of rattlesnake-sounding synth-snares with no groove or feel and some cracked out asshole "rapping" over the top of it. Horrible. For meth heads and crackheads. No groove or feel.

• Members

Yeah, they started the gangsta-rap dealio.

{censored} them though. You gotta put Dre' and Snoop at the top of the list for rappers that had style AND substance: they made classic cuts that will survive the coming rap implosion. That gangsta {censored}'s going the way of disco. Be ready for it.

Dre and Snoop were "gangsta {censored}," though...Dre was in NWA, and Snoop's big break was on The Chronic, iirc. I'm a little confused...

• Members

Public Enemy was more socially and politically motivated than what generally gets considered "gangsta rap," though. They tended to criticize gangsta rap, if anything.

Yeah, that's true. They had a lot of protest-the-man types of things going on. NWA was really more into the gangsta stuff: I vaguely remember some lyric and sound effect about blasting a "pig" with a shotgun. And of course you had all the "187" stuff, with Snoop answering to Dre' LOL. Pretty silly by today's thug standards.

Archived