The greatest American band of all time is...

New Trail

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What genre of music?

Elvis is the king of rock

James Brown the Godfather of Funk

Aretha Franklin the queen of soul

Beatles masters of pop

Ozzy the Prince of Darkness and godfather of metal

Jimmy Hendrix the Ledgend of guitar gods

Weird Al the comdey of music

• Members

They have toured . . . whether or not everyone on the bus was also on the album.

Are we going to have to define what a band is?
:facepalm:

Michael Jackson toured. That doesn't make him a "band". And no one would be considering him as such for the purposes of this thread.

I think Steely Dan doesn't qualify because, like a solo artist, their post '74 albums were neither written or recorded in any manner similar to what one recognizes as being a "band". That they later put a band together to go out and play the material is irrelevant.

Yes. I love Steely Dan.

But for being a "band" and being "American" and adding in commercial success as well?-- I'd agree with Kmart: CCR.

• Members

Michael Jackson toured. That doesn't make him a "band". And no one would be considering him as such for the purposes of this thread.

I think Steely Dan doesn't qualify because, like a solo artist, their post '74 albums were neither written or recorded in any manner similar to what one recognizes as being a "band". That they later put a band together to go out and play the material is irrelevant.

Yes. I love Steely Dan.

But for being a "band" and being "American" and adding in commercial success as well?-- I'd agree with Kmart: CCR.

Like I said, we're going to have to define "band".

Donald Fagan did rearrange some of his material later on, but a lot of it is pretty much the same. Given all the stuff that goes on in a studio (the Beatles!?), you're going to disqualify a lot of groups.

That's fine . . . a lot of music I like is produced by one person with high level support. Dr. John, Robben Ford, Stevie Winwood, Leon Russell. . . . . .

What is it about John Foggerty that makes his supporting cast "a band" compared to Steely Dan? Would his musical output have sounded substantially different with a different rhythm section?

What about Hendrix? Mitch Mitchell has a distinctive style of drumming . . . nothing like Buddy Miles, et al. Does JH qualify? (yes I know the supporting cast was Brits.)

• Members

How about having the same drummer and bass player on at least half the tracks on your biggest album?

Steely Dan is much closer to being defined as a 2-man solo act than a band. Steely Dan is the result of two guys brainstorming in the studio and using a bunch of hot studio cats to play the parts. There's really nothing "band" at ALL about albums like "Aja" or "Gaucho".

That's fine . . . a lot of music I like is produced by one person with high level support. Dr. John, Robben Ford, Stevie Winwood, Leon Russell. . . . . .

Me too. In fact, some of my all time favorite recording artists are basically one-man shows: Prince, Todd Rundgren, Howard Jones, Stevie Wonder. Great musicians. Great albums. Great live shows. NOT bands.

What is it about John Foggerty that makes his supporting cast "a band" compared to Steely Dan? Would his musical output have sounded substantially different with a different rhythm section?

Yes I think so. Those guys played together for a long time before they hit the big time. I think how they sounded as a group had a BIG influence on how Fogerty wrote and arranged his material. If nothing else, he was forced to write and arrange within the confines of their sound and abilities. He didn't jettison them all for some better studio cats and still called it "Creedence".

What about Hendrix? Mitch Mitchell has a distinctive style of drumming . . . nothing like Buddy Miles, et al. Does JH qualify? (yes I know the supporting cast was Brits.)

The JHE? Perhaps.

• Moderators

I think that's why the term "artist" is so often used instead of "band"; it includes both solo musicians, bands, and everything in between. (and annoys some BWTB forumites as a bonus!)

• Members

The reason for the term 'band' in the thread title is for a reason. Most European big acts seem to be bands, but in the US it's mostly individuals: Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, Bob Dylan, Little Richard, Prince, Michael Jackson, the list goes on and on...

Next thread: who is Europe's greatest individual (non-band) artist?

• Moderators

The reason for the term 'band' in the thread title is for a reason. Most European big acts seem to be bands, but in the US it's mostly individuals: Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, Bob Dylan, Little Richard, Prince, Michael Jackson, the list goes on and on...

Ok, but what is "Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers", then, for instance?

Archived