Pricing question - 4th of July outdoor pvt party

• Members

We're a $500-600 a night 5-piece bar band, starting to dip our toes into better gigs. We've been approached to possibly do a 4th of July block party. Playing outdoors on a flat bed trailer, sound provided (I'm a bit skeptical that this guy knows what that really means, though), and would have a DJ playing in between. All the food/drink we want, etc. I'm guessing we'll be playing our standard 3, hour-long sets, give or take. Trying to get an idea what a reasonable quote would be.

Thanks in advance,

Nate

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Double check what they want. We rarely do more then a single 90 minute set for 4th of July gigs. If they want 3 hours I would just ask the same money as a bar or maybe a little less since it is not a money making operation for the hosts. Are you connected in any way to the hosts (friend, relative, etc...). If so and you are not missing a paying gig, do it for $50 bucks a man. No sound and no pressure should just allow you guys to have fun.

• Members

We're a $500-600 a night 5-piece bar band, starting to dip our toes into better gigs. We've been approached to possibly do a 4th of July block party. Playing outdoors on a flat bed trailer, sound provided (I'm a bit skeptical that this guy knows what that really means, though), and would have a DJ playing in between. All the food/drink we want, etc. I'm guessing we'll be playing our standard 3, hour-long sets, give or take. Trying to get an idea what a reasonable quote would be.

Thanks in advance,

Nate

Yeah, be careful about the sound. If they're going to have a DJ, the "sound provided" may just be a DJ rig.

The last time we had "sound provided" we ended up with a 6-channel mixer, two powered speakers, and two microphones.

• Members

I wouldn't charge any less than what you do for a bar gig. If anything, I'd ask for more, unless it's a friend of the band that you are doing a favor for. And most definitely find out what "sound provided" means. I'd be more inclined to bring my own sound and let the DJ plug into that than vice versa.

• Members

I personally couldn't justify charging more for a block party then I would for a bar that is using us to make money. A block party is not a for profit gig and food and drink are included at the party. I would charge less but I seem to be in the minority.

I do agree that you should find out what "sound provided" means. We played a graduation party back in the early 80s where "sound provided" was a decent Jensen home audio system. Don't expect them to know what they are doing.

• Members

I'd say charge your standard rate. They're having a party, but you still have to work, set up, travel - all the things you normally do. Plus, if you work for food and beer, it makes you just a patron with an instrument. Seconded on the "sound provided" comment, too, but it sounds like it would be fun. Still charge the standard, though.

HOWEVER, if there will be tons of hot, drunk chicks wanting to party, everything I just said becomes debatable.

• Members

I would charge the high end of what we make at bar gigs. I find very often that these gigs can be a lot more work than a standard bar gig. Organizers often forget about minor details like providing adequate power.

yep. been there almost every time!

• Members

minimum $1000. And send them your PA requirements insisting on a specific number of monitors, mains, channels in the mixer and subs. Also, tell them that until you verify that their sound will be adequate you can't agree to the gig. If they complain just say that it's $200 a person which will be less than the DJ or soundguy are making.

• Members

I wouldn't charge any less than what you do for a bar gig. If anything, I'd ask for more, unless it's a friend of the band that you are doing a favor for.

I agree. Definitely don't go less, unless you know the people and it's a favor. You don't want to build the rep of a cheap band and you don't want to get in the habit of getting less than you are worth.

• Members

Thanks for the input so far guys. Sounds like the consensus is to make this in the ballpark of our regular gig rate. Great to know. That would be fine as long as there isn't too much additional hassle--we'll try to ask all the right questions ahead of time so we know what we're getting into.

Jwlusslow, I appreciate your perspective. That's a good point that we wouldn't want to charge these folks much more than a bar gig as we are not making money for them. There is also worth in the great networking opportunity it will provide (which is in fact how this July 4th possibility came about). But on the flip side, conditions will be challenging to a certain degree, and at least a couple of us will be having our beach weekends with our families cut short by this, so there's a price to be paid for all that too.

And we definitely get it about the "sound provided" issue. We have plenty of options around that.

Thanks.

• Members

Thanks for the input so far guys. Sounds like the consensus is to make this in the ballpark of our regular gig rate. Great to know. That would be fine as long as there isn't too much additional hassle--we'll try to ask all the right questions ahead of time so we know what we're getting into.

Jwlusslow, I appreciate your perspective. That's a good point that we wouldn't want to charge these folks much more than a bar gig as we are not making money for these folks. There is also worth in the great networking opportunity it will provide (any time we play in public we get further inquiries, which is in fact how this July 4th possibility came about). But on the flip side, conditions will be challenging to a certain degree, and at least a couple of us will be having our beach weekends with our families cut short by this, so there's a price to be paid for all that too.

And we definitely get it about the "sound provided" issue. We have plenty of options around that.

Thanks.

The issue of family time being cut into could be a bigger deal if it were me. My wife gets PISSED if we have plans and then something like this comes up. My $$$$ rate would reflect that. Not gonna play cheap under those circumstances.

• Members

Establish your performance times well in advance and put them in your contract. Yes, you especially need a contract for these kinds of gigs. And put in provisions for additional sets, spelled out and listed as X amount of money for each additional X minute set, with a maximum of X additional sets. ONLY do this if everyone in the band will be up for doing the additional sets and doesn't have plans at home immeadiately after the party. In addition to getting paid per the contract prior to unloading, be sure there is cash in hand before doing additional sets. They seem do be a little short when your finished.

• Members

For a five piece, 600.00 to set-up and play one set, two sets 850.00. Three sets 1200.00. If it is a personal friend of mine, I will usually forfeit my pay, but the rest of the guys get full boat, that's where the discount is.

Why would you play for your regular bar rate on a private function, on a holiday? The bar rate is based on the fact that there are a million half-assed bands that will play for practically nothing. You are being specifically asked to play based on your talent, possibly referrals and the fact that the client obviously wants your band for the talent, not because you have guaranteed X amount of friends or family you to show.

• Members

For a five piece, 600.00 to set-up and play one set, two sets 850.00. Three sets 1200.00. If it is a personal friend of mine, I will usually forfeit my pay, but the rest of the guys get full boat, that's where the discount is.

Why would you play for your regular bar rate on a private function, on a holiday? The bar rate is based on the fact that there are a million half-assed bands that will play for practically nothing. You are being specifically asked to play based on your talent, possibly referrals and the fact that the client obviously wants your band for the talent, not because you have guaranteed X amount of friends or family you to show.

Good points!

• Members

A private gig should be MORE than a bar gig.

You're thinking about it backwards. We play cheaper for bar gigs so people who hear us at bar gigs will hire to play their private parties for more $$$. You can think of playing bar gigs as a loss leader.

My sentiments exactly!

I always charge more for a private event, unless I know the people. Why? Because I can. People who ask you to play a private party likely saw your band play somewhere and specifically want YOUR BAND. Unlike bar owners, they aren't getting bombarded by 25 different acts being willing to play for less than the other guys.

• Members

In all seriousness... if you're typically making $500 to $600, I'd charge around $1000-$1200. Not only is that compensating you guys for the fact that it is a holiday (you can almost ALWAYS make more playing on July 4th, the day before Thanksgiving, Halloween, and New Years), giving out a fair rate for a private party (the clubs get you cheaper because they book you more), and accounting for the extra hassle and headache you'll no doubt incur, but it shows the people organizing the party that you can't be looked at as "oh, that's just Jim Bob's band". If you quote them a high price.. it's much more likely that the PA won't be someone's home stereo system (although that's still very possible), as they'll realize there's a cost and work associated with hiring a band.

Best of luck!

• Members

In all seriousness... if you're typically making $500 to $600, I'd charge around $1000-$1200. Not only is that compensating you guys for the fact that it is a holiday (you can almost ALWAYS make more playing on July 4th, the day before Thanksgiving, Halloween, and New Years), giving out a fair rate for a private party (the clubs get you cheaper because they book you more), and accounting for the extra hassle and headache you'll no doubt incur, but it shows the people organizing the party that you can't be looked at as "oh, that's just Jim Bob's band". If you quote them a high price.. it's much more likely that the PA won't be someone's home stereo system (although that's still very possible), as they'll realize there's a cost and work associated with hiring a band.

Best of luck!

I would think if you are making 5 and 6 hundred it may be a real push to expect a grand or more just because its not a bar. Its still a 500 dollar band. It didnt get twice as good when youj step up on a semi trailer.

• Members

I would think if you are making 5 and 6 hundred it may be a real push to expect a grand or more just because its not a bar. Its still a 500 dollar band. It didnt get twice as good when youj step up on a semi trailer.

That may be.. I'm not familiar with the OP's band. I do know, however, that I charge more for parties, weddings, corporate events, and college shows. Partially, it's because the budget is there.. but also because these events are generally "one and done" type deals, or perhaps once a year or so in the case of the corporates and colleges. The bar down the street books me in and out, year round.. hence the price break.

I even know some national acts who's rate isn't the same for a bar or club as it is for a party, festival, corporate event, outdoor concert, or wedding... I thought that was standard procedure for most bands, especially in the cover band circuit?

Archived