Pricing question - 4th of July outdoor pvt party

• Members

That may be.. I'm not familiar with the OP's band. I do know, however, that I charge more for parties, weddings, corporate events, and college shows. Partially, it's because the budget is there.. but also because these events are generally "one and done" type deals, or perhaps once a year or so in the case of the corporates and colleges. The bar down the street books me in and out, year round.. hence the price break.

I even know some national acts who's rate isn't the same for a bar or club as it is for a party, festival, corporate event, outdoor concert, or wedding... I thought that was standard procedure for most bands, especially in the cover band circuit?

Yea bands do that and we do too.. but you have to have a band that is more than a 500 dollar bar band. I look at it as more like bands are down charging, for some gigs rather than up charging.

You cant turn a 500 dollar band into a 1500 dollar one ,, but you can take a 1500 dollar band and go do a gig for 750, if you think its in your best interests to do it. For a straight up cover band that does events , that prolly doesnt happen , except for loss leaders in a high profile bar. For a band that has original music and CDs... what gets charged can be all over the place on price. Alot depends on who its for.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My issue is that this is a block party and the families will have to split the price of the band. If I had other things to do I would turn down the gig but I would never expect to pay $1000 for a band at a block party. If any band asked that much, I would just set up my sound system and play iTunes for the neighbors. Maybe block parties by you guys are different then this area. Here is a pick from a couple of years ago. The street gets blocked off and the neighbors bring their grills out to the street and they have a great time.

• Members

I would think if you are making 5 and 6 hundred it may be a real push to expect a grand or more just because its not a bar. Its still a 500 dollar band. It didnt get twice as good when youj step up on a semi trailer.

In most cases, the people hiring you for a private party would have no idea that you normally make $500 for playing at a bar.

• Members

My sentiments exactly!

I always charge more for a private event, unless I know the people. Why? Because I can. People who ask you to play a private party likely saw your band play somewhere and specifically want YOUR BAND. Unlike bar owners, they aren't getting bombarded by 25 different acts being willing to play for less than the other guys.

bands also get asked to do pvt gigs because ,, of the they will do attitude and they wont cost us an arm and a leg. to me a 1500 dollar band should have harmony back up and a singer that is spot on pitch and be a pretty tight band. Your average bar band doenst have to measure up to that level and hence isnt going to get 1500 bucks or even a grand for that matter.

• Members
In most cases, the people hiring you for a private party would have no idea that you normally make $500 for playing at a bar.

Hell most of them may not even understand that they do get a 100 a man for a bar gig. I guess a lot depends on where you are located.

• Members

I even know some national acts who's rate isn't the same for a bar or club as it is for a party, festival, corporate event, outdoor concert, or wedding... I thought that was standard procedure for most bands, especially in the cover band circuit?

You hear stories of how Rod Stewart or Elton John or Beyonce get a million dollars, or whatever, to go play some rich dudes birthday party. Certainly none of those acts get anything CLOSE to that playing their 'regular' gigs.

• Members

Why do some of you guys keep insisting on arguing for reasons for playing cheap like that's a good or somehow NOBLE thing? It's correct that NOBODY, except other bands, knows what a bar pays a band, and, even if they did, what does it matter when it comes to pricing private parties? Let's try to raise the bar, guys, NOT lower it!

• Members

Hell most of them may not even understand that they do get a 100 a man for a bar gig. I guess a lot depends on where you are located.

In my experience most people are far more surprised to find out how LITTLE the average bar band makes a night as opposed to how MUCH.

• Members

Why do some of you guys keep insisting on arguing for reasons for playing cheap like that's a good or somehow NOBLE thing? It's correct that NOBODY, except other bands, knows what a bar pays a band, and, even if they did, what does it matter when it comes to pricing private parties? Let's try to raise the bar, guys, NOT lower it!

+1,000,000

• Members

And the other side of the coin is why do you think that a average bar band thats playing all over a town for a 100 a man is somehow going to transform themselves into a 1500 or 2000 a night band with a single pitchy singer , nothing in the way of back up vocals and the typical bar band setlist?. Just because they are playing a pvt party?. I honestly dont think people are that dumb. Maybe they are. You raise the bar by being a better band ,, not by bushwhackin a guy that doesnt know whats going on and is too dumb go do a little research before they get their checkbook out.

• Members
Yeah, we've all heard the
:facepalm:
stories of folks offering $50 and all you can eat to play at their party--not out of a conscious attempt to rip you off, but they just genuinely have no idea what a band
needs to sustain itself

Fixed your post.
:thu:

Can't keep track of the times I've seen jaws drop when it's mentioned in passing even what kind of $ it takes to keep a band in decent gear, rehearsal space, PA, lights, etc.

• Members

In my experience most people are far more surprised to find out how LITTLE the average bar band makes a night as opposed to how MUCH.

I think you'd agree though, that unfortunatley for most of us, 'most people' aren't the ones actually paying us.

• Members

Yeah, well...

...that's why I won't play in bars anymore....

I think you guys that play in the more upscale bands on here have a bit of a disconnect on what the typical semi pitchy single singer bar band can actually get paid. Most bar bands are not even close to being in your league. It would be like me telling a new commercial rated pilot that he can go get paid a 500 a day for pilot service when he would be lucky just to get a job paying 10 bucks an hour hoppin rides.

• Members

I think you guys that play in the more upscale bands on here have a bit of a disconnect on what the typical semi pitchy single singer bar band can actually get paid.

No, I know full well that the majority of bar bands are lucky to get what they get based on the level of talent, skill and performance they bring to the stage. In fact, I'm probably the guy hear yelling the most at everyone to up their game, and that unless/until bands do, there's no REASON for anybody to ever pay bands more money.

Having said THAT, I also understand the business end of it and I know how hard it is for clubowners to make money as it is. When I've heard guys tell me "I'd love to pay you more, I just can't afford it", I believe it. So for the bands that ARE good---that DO work hard and DO have good singers and tight bands and work to put on a good show, there ARE other avenues to pursue for gigs that pay at least somewhat better.

• Members

No, I know full well that the majority of bar bands are lucky to get what they get based on the level of talent, skill and performance they bring to the stage. In fact, I'm probably the guy hear yelling the most at everyone to up their game, and that unless/until bands do, there's no REASON for anybody to ever pay bands more money.

Having said THAT, I also understand the business end of it and I know how hard it is for clubowners to make money as it is. When I've heard guys tell me "I'd love to pay you more, I just can't afford it", I believe it. So for the bands that ARE good---that DO work hard and DO have good singers and tight bands and work to put on a good show, there ARE other avenues to pursue for gigs that pay at least
somewhat
better.

What it boils down to is that bands tend to start at pvt yard parties playing for pretty much nothing , and they tend to end up playing pvt parties for alot of money. The pvt event is the beginning and the ending point for most bands.

• Members

What it boils down to is that bands tend to start at pvt yard parties playing for pretty much nothing , and they tend to end up playing pvt parties for alot of money. The pvt event is the beginning and the ending point for most bands.

LOL. I think you might be right.

• Members

LOL. I think you might be right.

Its kinda funny how that works, isnt it. Thats why i think its wrong to give blanket advise to alot of guys to jack up the price on a pvt gig. Its good advice for an established band thats paid its dues in the bar wars and has moved on to corp and weddings and such. Its really poor advice for a band that just hit the bar scene and hasnt evolved enough to really be worthy of the big money. There is a period of time where your bar price and your pvt party price is pretty much going to be the same.

• Members

Its kinda funny how that works, isnt it. Thats why i think its wrong to give blanket advise to alot of guys to jack up the price on a pvt gig. Its good advice for an established band thats paid its dues in the bar wars and has moved on to corp and weddings and such. Its really poor advice for a band that just hit the bar scene and hasnt evolved enough to really be worthy of the big money. There is a period of time where your bar price and your pvt party price is pretty much going to be the same.

I do agree with the basic idea you've got going.. but I also think that the definition of what makes a higher priced band is as varied as the bands that play. I know two different bands that do lots of corporate gigs and private events for $1000-$2000 regularly.. they have weak instrumentation on many of the songs they do, the singer is pitchy, the background vocals are minimal... but they bring and put on an awesome show and PEOPLE HAVE FUN. This is WAY more important than anything else a band can do. As a hired entertainer, if you manage to entertain, then there you go.

I realize that this particular band is an exception and not the rule (most bands on that level are a bit more together and tight), but nevertheless, I've seen firsthand that most all of the things any of us think makes a "top level" cover band are irrelevant, except that they can entertain and engage a crowd.

• Members

I do agree with the basic idea you've got going.. but I also think that the definition of what makes a higher priced band is as varied as the bands that play. I know two different bands that do lots of corporate gigs and private events for $1000-$2000 regularly.. they have weak instrumentation on many of the songs they do, the singer is pitchy, the background vocals are minimal... but they bring and put on an awesome show and PEOPLE HAVE FUN. This is WAY more important than anything else a band can do. As a hired entertainer, if you manage to entertain, then there you go.

I realize that this particular band is an exception and not the rule (most bands on that level are a bit more together and tight), but nevertheless, I've seen firsthand that most all of the things any of us think makes a "top level" cover band are irrelevant, except that they can entertain and engage a crowd.

Good points.

And I would go a step further and say that a LOT of bands are underpaid at $100 a man. Heck, that what decent bands were getting DECADES ago. So for a pretty-good bar band that generally makes $500 a night to ask for $1000-1500 for a pvt party isn't outrageous.

• Members

I agree, as when we started doing a lot of club dates, privates started coming in and we'd take them for a bit more money than the clubs. As the privates grew, and the corporates started, prices for those gigs went up. Once a friend of the manager of a club we were playing couldn't understand why I wanted double for his wedding than what his friend told him we were playing for in the club twice a week. I explained the difference, but he still didn't get it, or simply couldn't understand why I insisted on so much more. I held the price and let the gig go. You can't let the customer run the business.

When I finally finished a full length cd in 2002, our price almost doubled overnight. We went from 1200. to 2k to 2.5k in a few months. The level of gig we did went from basic corporate/private to high end corporate/private. Tim's right in that this is where it will end for us in all likelyhood. We aren't going to get famous unless a miracle happens, and we aren't going back to clubs unless a miracle happens. If this circle holds true for us as individual players, my last gig will be in a school yard for a Catholic school fair...........................I hope not.

• Members

... I know two different bands that do lots of corporate gigs and private events for $1000-$2000 regularly.. they have weak instrumentation on many of the songs they do, the singer is pitchy, the background vocals are minimal... but they bring and put on an awesome show and PEOPLE HAVE FUN.....

Not to get sidetracked but I would be willing to bet that you know at least one band that has great musicians that can't get a booking.

• Members

I dont think a band like that could get paid that in the market I am in, I dont care what the show was like. Pitchy focals are pretty much a deal breaker for bands here. Even a hundred a man prolly would be out of the question for a band like that.

Archived