Pricing question - 4th of July outdoor pvt party

• Members

whatever ,,, for a good corp party , you want a band that can do all kinds of stuff. New, old and inbetween. To thow a party band that is totally geared toward 20 sumthings for a corp party would be a mis match in my opinon. Kids get out of college at age 21 or 22. Most dont hit the corp world hard till they are pushing thirty. The most people are going to fall in the 35 to 45 range. upper mgmt is going to be in their late 40s to mid 50s. I know those guys ,, they were the ones I delt with ,,, I was their pilot.

No one said "totally geared towards". No one is doing that. No one knows that better than me, since I'm playing these gigs. Variety is imperitive. Our set list at a corporate gig is 80s/90s/modern dance/2-3 disco songs/2-3 "classic rock" tunes/2-3 country songs. That's the gig. But you're right about one thing: the bulk of the party is geared towards the 35-45 year old most of the time. That was the point I was making about not realizing how old we actually are. I'm not sure you're clued into what today's average 35 year old wants to party to.

Somebody who is 35 now graduated high school in 1994. And attended college from 94-98. Maybe a couple of years beyond that. And most people stay single and hitting the club scene until they are 25-30. That means that 35 year old is going to be hip to stuff well into the last decade. And next year, that 35 year old will be somebody who graduated high school in 1995.

Here's the list of the Top 100 songs from 1994.

http://www.musicoutfitters.com/topsongs/1994.htm

Not a lot of anything resembling classic rock on that list, is there?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No one said "totally geared towards". No one is doing that. No one knows that better than me, since I'm playing these gigs. Variety is imperitive. Our set list at a corporate gig is 80s/90s/modern dance/2-3 "classic rock" tunes/2-3 country songs. That's the gig. But you're right about one thing: the bulk of the party is geared towards the 35-45 year old most of the time. That was the point I was making about not realizing how old we actually are. I'm not sure you're clued into what today's average 35 year old wants to party to.

Somebody who is 35 now graduated high school in 1994. And attended college from 94-98. Maybe a couple of years beyond that. And most people stay single and hitting the club scene until they are 25-30. That means that 35 year old is going to be hip to stuff well into the last decade.

I know that demographic pretty well. My daughter is in that group. To be honest ,, they dont really party that much. Both work in oretty stressful jobs. he is in international business , and she works in mid level mgmt for a university and is working on her PHD. Kids her age are tied up with career, starting families, buying houses and cars and starting to pork money away for retirment. To be honest when the weekend rolls around most of their social life revolved around home , and friends and parties at the house ,,, they are more likley to cut out early on a office party than the old people. I am from the midwest. Kids with upper level educations didnt hang at the bars that much, because of school , and having to work work on things like masters degrees. Its just not a real fast pace club kinda lifestyle out there in Indiana/ Michigan. Actually older people tend to go out more. They have more money and they have more free time. Prolly is different where you are. Its hard to tell what things are like in texas ,, I live in a resort town and everyone is out in the bars doing the party thing. a ton of them are older. You have a good handle on what the ones are like that are out on the town ,, and no handle on what your 30 sumthing kids and their friends are actually doing. Hell when i was in my 30s I didnt go out much either. Those are really what you call the nesting/ home years in most peoples lives if they have anything on the ball

• Members

I know that demographic pretty well. My daughter is in that group. To be honest ,, they dont really party that much. Both work in oretty stressful jobs. he is in international business , and she works in mid level mgmt for a university and is working on her PHD. Kids her age are tied up with career, starting families, buying houses and cars and starting to pork money away for retirment. To be honest when the weekend rolls around most of their social life revolved around home , and friends and parties at the house ,,, they are more likley to cut out early on a office party than the old people. I am from the midwest. Kids with upper level educations didnt hang at the bars that much, because of school , and having to work work on things like masters degrees. Its just not a real fast pace club kinda lifestyle out there in Indiana/ Michigan. Actually older people tend to go out more. They have more money and they have more free time. Prolly is different where you are. Its hard to tell what things are like in texas ,, I live in a resort town and everyone is out in the bars doing the party thing. a ton of them are older. You have a good handle on what the ones are like that are out on the town ,, and no handle on what your 30 sumthing kids and their friends are actually doing. Hell when i was in my 30s I didnt go out much either. Those are really what you call the nesting/ home years in most peoples lives if they have anything on the ball

Well, SOMEBODY'S been going to all those gigs we've been playing. They all LOOKED like 30-45 year old people who worked for the corporations who hired us. They all SEEMED to be partying and having a good time to me. And I'm figuring whoever hired us had enough money because the checks didn't bounce.

But {censored}...next time some corp calls us up and wants to pay us good money to play their party, maybe I should turn it town because some old guy in Texas who says he knows the demographic says those people don't go out.

No...corporate gigs aren't about people involved in the "fast pace club kinda lifestyle". That's the point. These people let loose once a year. It's their big annual party. That's why they throw it. That's why they are willing to pay a lot for a band. And yeah, they are all young enough now that they listen to the stuff I linked. That's the point I was making: people 35-45 graduated between 1984 and 1994. They don't give a {censored} about classic rock for the most part. We're older than we think we are, Tim.

So no, I DON'T think you really know that demographic much at all.

• Members
Well, SOMEBODY'S been going to all those gigs we've been playing. They all LOOKED like 30-45 year old people who worked for the corporations who hired us. They all SEEMED to be partying and having a good time to me. And I'm figuring whoever hired us had enough money because the checks didn't bounce.

But {censored}...next time some corp calls us up and wants to pay us good money to play their party, maybe I should turn it town because some old guy in Texas who says he knows the demographic says those people don't go out.

No...corporate gigs aren't about people involved in the "fast pace club kinda lifestyle". That's the point. These people let loose once a year. It's their big annual party. That's why they throw it. That's why they are willing to pay a lot for a band. And yeah, they are all young enough now that they listen to the stuff I linked. That's the point I was making: people 35-45 graduated between 1984 and 1994. They don't give a {censored} about classic rock for the most part. We're older than we think we are, Tim.

So no, I DON'T think you really know that demographic much at all.[/QUOTE]

David, he doesn't know much about the music business at all. Tim has over 2500 posts in about 6 months usually repeating the same {censored} over and over. As soon as he starts getting paid and booking his band then he might have something useful to contribute. Until then just ignore anything he has to say and maybe he will go away if were lucky.:)

• Members

.... Variety is imperitive. Our set list at a corporate gig is 80s/90s/modern dance/2-3 disco songs/2-3 "classic rock" tunes/2-3 country songs. That's the gig....

No Rap or Hip/Hip? Seems like a younger demographic would want some of that as well! Our blues/cover band played a wedding reception last year (because the leader knew the bride) and our old r&b and soul covers went over well with the moms but the younger kids brought in an ipod and played rap on the breaks, dancing and singing along with all of the songs, most of which I had ever heard. It's gonna be a new world, maybe already is. I think there is still a place for classic rock but it's getting smaller all the time and the folks that like it are getting older and going out less often and going home earlier. Around here a band might do well to start the night with classic rock then ease into modern rock and end with dance music/rap. I don't know any musicians who would be willing to do that, however.

• Members

No Rap or Hip/Hip?

Some yes. That falls under the 90s stuff, for the most part. We do some classic stuff like Good Vibrations, Babys Got Back, Bust A Groove, Funky Cold Medina. Mostly bits of that stuff in medleys. That stuff gets a GREAT response and I'd do a lot more but we frankly aren't that good at it. We don't have anyone in the band who can rap really convincingly, so we do that stuff sparingly. But the bands that do a lot of it around here are pretty successful with it.

The plan is to load up on more 90s female stuff: a couple of Salt n Pepa tunes would work great, for example.

But I've always got "plans", lol. More "plans" than we have time to implement. But yeah, the songlist is ALWAYS a work-in-progress, isn't it?

• Members

So no, I DON'T think you really know that demographic much at all.

I can see the point of them letting loose one time a year. 1994 music is still almost 20 years old. I do agree that classic rock is a pretty dead market,unless you have an old crowd. a corp band has to do it all. As for knowing what 30 sumthing aer up to ... you cant judge them by one night a year. So they boogie at the office party. Most of them prolly would not go at all if office politics were not involved. Office parties are awful deals ... they are like cousins kids weddings and funerals. You do alot of them and thats cool.they are good gigs.. but they are what they are. You seem to think life ends at 50 for people. It doesnt , but doing bull{censored} things you dont have to do ends the day you retire lol. Trust me I know how old i am ,, i feel it every morning when I get up. but it beats the other option.

• Members
minimum $1000. And send them your PA requirements insisting on a specific number of monitors, mains, channels in the mixer and subs. Also, tell them that until you verify that their sound will be adequate you can't agree to the gig. If they complain just say that it's $200 a person which will be less than the DJ or soundguy are making.

+1 !!!!!!! Playing outside on a trailer should at least double your normal rate. At least it would here in the sunny South! :cop:

• Members

Hell most of them may not even understand that they do get a 100 a man for a bar gig. I guess a lot depends on where you are located.

From my limited 10+ years of experience in the live shows/events category, people generally have a hard time *paying* for music of any type. Whether it's CDs or MP3s, live bar bands, or special occasion bands, they just don't expect to have to pay out.

I cannot begin to count how many times I have quoted a price (bass/guitarist + vox) in the church scene (wedding services) and got a reaction of total shock. I typically charge $75 to $125 per wedding, and have often got rejected. That price includes my practice time leading up to the event, as well as instruments and amplification. So, the bride-to-be will not spend ~$400 to $600 on professional musicians for the service, but will spot up $1000s upon $1000s of dollars for flowers and decorations at the reception.

With any "specialty" event that I do, including weddings, private parties, or holiday shows, I ABSOLUTELY charge more. The extra money pays for my inconvenience, additional practice or additional time required to play.

• Members

From my limited 10+ years of experience in the live shows/events category, people
generally
have a hard time *paying* for music of any type. Whether it's CDs or MP3s, live bar bands, or special occasion bands, they just don't expect to have to pay out.....

There's another side of that story, though. We play some festival gigs, and the fees vary widely. We might play Festival A and get twice what we get for Festival B. Once our fee is set for Festival A and that's what the festival managers know then that's what it is every time. That's what they get used to paying.

• Members
As for knowing what 30 sumthing aer up to ... you cant judge them by one night a year. So they boogie at the office party. Most of them prolly would not go at all if office politics were not involved. Office parties are awful deals ... they are like cousins kids weddings and funerals. You do alot of them and thats cool.they are good gigs.. but they are what they are.

Yep, they are what they are: a chance for these 35 year olds to act like they are 23 again and party like it's 1999. The basic premise for how to handle these sorts of gigs is the same as it has always been: the older folks bail early and the youngest ones would rather be at their favorite nightclub so the trick is locking in on that 30-45 age group and hitting those other groups on the margins. The ONLY thing that changes, really, is that with every passing year, that age group responds to a more youthful music and presentation.

I have no interest in judging those people or their office politics. It's just my job to entertain them once they show up to the party. I don't give a {censored} WHY they go to it or what they do the other 364 nights of the year.

You seem to think life ends at 50 for people. It doesnt ,

LOL...I hope not! I'm turning 50 in two months! :eekphil:

• Members

... The basic premise for how to handle these sorts of gigs is the same as it has always been: the older folks bail early and the youngest ones would rather be at their favorite nightclub so the trick is locking in on that 30-45 age group and hitting those other groups on the margins. The ONLY thing that changes, really, is that with every passing year, that age group responds to a more youthful music and presentation....

True! My experience is that as people get older, get good jobs, marry and have kids, they don't keep up to date on music like they used to when they were younger and partied more. They may start listening to adult contemporary or country instead of Top 40 as they get older. On the occasions when they DO party, Christmas party, birthday, etc., the songs that would work for those folks typically would be songs they remember from high school, college, or early working years. So, if you do the math backwards and you're dealing with a crowd in their 40's, let's say, then the music you play should be probably 15-20 years old, along with the standard "MustangBrownThreeSteps" songs that will almost always work.

• Members

I've been off this thread till now. We charge the same rate for a night club or a casual party. You want to book us for an engagement $$$$ is our rate. It's that simple. We're not going to charge less and take away from a date we could have earned more from. We're charging for a service just the same. You would expect a caterer to price himself competitively but not to offer a 'deal'. I looked at our calendar through Labor Day and we have 12 Nightclub gigs, 4 summertime parties, 2 class reunions, 4 weddings, and 3 community events. With the exception of the weddings we are paid close to the same rate for each one.

• Members

There's another side of that story, though. We play some festival gigs, and the fees vary widely. We might play Festival A and get twice what we get for Festival B. Once our fee is set for Festival A and that's what the festival managers know then that's what it is every time. That's what they get used to paying.

Of course, it's sometimes tough to not either shoot yourself in the foot (by asking too much) or crippling yourself for future gigs (by asking too little)...

• Members
Yep, they are what they are: a chance for these 35 year olds to act like they are 23 again and party like it's 1999. The basic premise for how to handle these sorts of gigs is the same as it has always been: the older folks bail early and the youngest ones would rather be at their favorite nightclub so the trick is locking in on that 30-45 age group and hitting those other groups on the margins. The ONLY thing that changes, really, is that with every passing year, that age group responds to a more youthful music and presentation.

I have no interest in judging those people or their office politics. It's just my job to entertain them once they show up to the party. I don't give a {censored} WHY they go to it or what they do the other 364 nights of the year.

LOL...I hope not! I'm turning 50 in two months!
:eekphil:

getting old aint for sissy's. LOL.

• Members

LOL...I hope not! I'm turning 50 in two months!
:eekphil:

Thought I'd ring in here....i'm 32, family, kids. I party once a year at the office christmas party. I want a band playing songs from my youth and maybe some newer songs that sound like songs from my youth. If there is a horn section I expect some Motown & Disco. Daggy 80s 90s tunes are always winners.

A live band playing music originally created by a DJ/Producer, rap etc turns me off straight away. I like a real band playing music I can dance to, not neceserilly dance music.

A group of 50 year old men covering Kanye West of Katy Perry would be dodgy. A band of 50 year old men with a 20 something singer would be alright.

The 18 year old "office girls" have a different opionin obviuosly, and would probably prefer a DJ in any case.

• Members

interesting list there. I don't know most of those songs, maybe in part due to having been abroad in India for most of 1994, and off the grid of American pop.

only a very small handful jump out as catchy / memorable / with hooks that stand the test of time, for me at least:

9. All That She Wants, Ace Of Base

34. All I Wanna Do, Sheryl Crow

42. Whoomp! (There It Is), Tag Team

89. December, 1963 (Oh What a Night!), Four Seasons

an interesting snap-shot / cross-section of pop.

• Members

How about a DJ- band combo. I have been doing that lately...well actually very recently, well...three times. hahaha, And I am booked to do two weddings coming up with the DJ - band combo. It has been a hit so far. The music never stops and the DJ plays the newest dance-rap stuff and then segways to us after about 30 or so minutes and then we segway back to him after our set. I pay him the same as a band member and he runs our sound while we play. I haven't done a corporate gig with that combo yet. I want to though. It started out with a wedding gig were I didn't want to do the emcee stuff...cut cake...garter toss, etc, so I added a DJ. Works only in certain situations of course.

• Members

How about a DJ- band combo. I have been doing that lately...well actually very recently, well...three times. hahaha, And I am booked to do two weddings coming up with the DJ - band combo. It has been a hit so far. The music never stops and the DJ plays the newest dance-rap stuff and then segways to us after about 30 or so minutes and then we segway back to him after our set. I pay him the same as a band member and he runs our sound while we play. I haven't done a corporate gig with that combo yet. I want to though. It started out with a wedding gig were I didn't want to do the emcee stuff...cut cake...garter toss, etc, so I added a DJ. Works only in certain situations of course.

Excellent idea. I've imagined we'll have to go to that route at some point. So far it hasn't come up. But I've thought for a long time that a band that provides its own DJ is a great idea. I think Grant does something like that now.

• Members

Excellent idea. I've imagined we'll have to go to that route at some point. So far it hasn't come up. But I've thought for a long time that a band that provides its own DJ is a great idea. I think Grant does something like that now.

For 2 years we've had a DJ who is a full time, 8th member of the band. Young guy... 23, great DJ, provides some vocals, MC's the show and runs lights. So he's more than his money's worth. He spin records between sets (in rooms that allow it) and he controls our light show from the stage.

• Members

For 2 years we've had a DJ who is a full time, 8th member of the band. Young guy... 23, great DJ, provides some vocals, MC's the show and runs lights. So he's more than his money's worth. He spin records between sets (in rooms that allow it) and he controls our light show from the stage.

We're definately headed in this direction. We keep adding to the light show all the time. Right now I'm still controlling it myself from stage, but it's a pain in the ass. I've been thinking about a DJ who runs lights would be great.

MCing would be cool, but I think my bass player loves doing that too much himself. I doubt he'd give it up.

• Members

We're a $500-600 a night 5-piece bar band, starting to dip our toes into better gigs. We've been approached to possibly do a 4th of July block party. Playing outdoors on a flat bed trailer, sound provided (I'm a bit skeptical that this guy knows what that really means, though), and would have a DJ playing in between. All the food/drink we want, etc. I'm guessing we'll be playing our standard 3, hour-long sets, give or take. Trying to get an idea what a reasonable quote would be.

Thanks in advance,

Nate

4th is expensive.

I'd say at least 1500 for the five of you. 1250 bare bottom.

• Members

Having a DJ makes it easier to disguise your backing tracks as well. Everyone just assumes anything not obviuosly being played live is a "sample" and is impressed by the way you're mixing live music with DJ-ing.

DJ-ing is apparently more widely respected than playing to a BT.

• Members

I'm not trying to argue with you.. but we see plenty of people in clubs in the 25-40 year old age group, ALL THE TIME, 3-5 nights a week.

... and how can you argue with David when it's obvious that he knows his niche and market way better than you, I, or most of the rest of HC possibly could?

• Members

For {censored}s and giggles.. I'm 28, graduated high school in 2001... here are the songs from that list I'm familiar with BY NAME from that list (although I'm sure it would be a lot more if I heard them):

1. The Sign, Ace Of Base
2. I Swear, All-4-One
3. I'll Make Love to You, Boyz II Men
5. Hero, Mariah Carey
9. All That She Wants, Ace Of Base
10. Don't Turn Around, Ace Of Base
11. Bump N' Grind, R. Kelly
14. Whatta Man, Salt-N-Pepa
15. Wild Night, John Mellencamp and Me'shell Ndegeocello
16. Without You/Never Forget You, Mariah Carey
18. Can You Feel the Love Tonight, Elton John
19. The Most Beautiful Girl In the World, Prince Symbol
20. Fantastic Voyage, Coolio
21. Baby, I Love Your Way, Big Mountain
22. Regulate, Warren G and Nate Dogg
27. Please Forgive Me, Bryan Adams
29. Shoop, Salt-N-Pepa
31. Shine, Collective Soul
34. All I Wanna Do, Sheryl Crow
35. Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm, Crash Test Dummies
38. I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That), Meat Loaf
40. Because the Night, 10,000 Maniacs
42. Whoomp! (There It Is), Tag Team
43. Come to My Window, Melissa Etheridge
50. Loser, Beck
52. Gin and Juice, Snoop Doggy Dogg
54. Streets of Philadelphia, Bruce Springsteen
56. Endless Love, Luther Vandross and Mariah Carey
61. Keep Ya Head Up, 2Pac
65. Tootsee Roll, 69 Boyz
66. I Can See Clearly Now, Jimmy Cliff
68. Crazy, Aerosmith
73. Always, Erasure
77. Mary Jane's Last Dance, Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers
85. Here Comes the Hotstepper, Ini Kamoze
87. Don't Take the Girl, Tim McGraw
89. December, 1963 (Oh What a Night!), Four Seasons
90. Indian Outlaw, Tim McGraw
92. I'm the Only One, Melissa Etheridge
95. I'll Take You There, General Public
97. What Is Love, Haddaway

Hmm. Also.. you don't really think about "Regulate", "Last Dance With Mary Jane", and "The Sign" as all being on the radio around the same time, do ya?

Archived