Dad bands

• Members

Without regard to the audience? Where did that come from. Unless the OP was the only one there they may have been playing right to what the crowd wanted. Did I miss the part where they didn't draw? Rangefinder didn't mention that the bar was dead. Did he say they weren't good players? Did he say the general public was not interested in that music? Wow, your insight is incredible. Someone say "Hi" to you and you know their entire life story with details? Awesome.

OK, I a 50+ year old and my band has been doing roughly the same music for the last 34 years. We occasionally throw in some newer stuff but our crowd isn't really interested in newer stuff. They come to hear us play what we play. We aren't lazy we just do what we do. I enjoy all kinds of music including some of the current stuff. I have hip hop, jazz, oldies, symphonies, metal, easy listening and bubblegum on my iPhone. The people that come out to see us want to hear the stuff we've been doing since 1977 and we oblige them. We are old but we ARE getting paid. We all have careers and the music is a hobby, albeit a pretty lucrative one. It's probably just different strokes for different folks.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Without regard to the audience? Where did that come from. Unless the OP was the only one there they may have been playing right to what the crowd wanted. Did I miss the part where they didn't draw? Rangefinder didn't mention that the bar was dead. Did he say they weren't good players? Did he say the general public was not interested in that music?

Well I didn't want to get into all the details, but for what it's worth:

- I personally enjoyed both bands

- The players had very good chops but limited showmanship

- Both bars were completely dead on a Saturday night. It was mostly friends and family. And both of these places get jam-packed for the better bands in the area

So in this case I think it was hobbyists out for a night of fun, probably booked for peanuts in a slow month.

As richardmac said, it just struck me as weird that (apparently) they were simply not going to play songs that they didn't grow up with. As for the audience, who knows. Most likely I wouldn't want to see Grandpa busting out a gangsta rap... or maybe I would, if he could bring it with a twinkle in his eye.

I'm not passing judgment. They can do whatever they want, and like I said, I personally still enjoyed the shows. I was just curious to get some insights.

• Members

maybe you didn't have to grow up with Kiss.

I did. Wasn't too into them at the time. The bass player in my band is a HUGE Kiss fan. We do a few of their tunes, and they go over pretty well.

I'd probably be okay with doing some Nickelback, I just don't want to have to tune a guitar to drop C, or whatever they use.

• Members

July 3rd our band played in a trendy downtown Delray pub that was packed with what I call kids, what looked like college age to mid thirties. Except for "About a Girl" and "All Apologies" our set list is pretty much 1955 to 1972. We got massive applause and whistles for everything we played...

I have found the same to be true. We are a old school Blues band, with some Blues-rock covers. Lots of obscure old Blues tunes, and Swamp Pop.

I have seen 20 - 30 years olds go nuts for our "ancient" and obscure music, and it is because we have a rock-solid swinging in-the-pocket rhythm section. Its the groove that gets them every time. And we are all over 55.

• Members

People like the music they like which, 9 times out of 10, is the stuff that was popular when they were between the ages of 10 and 25. Musicians are no different, and whenever I hear some musician talking about how the reason they play the music from THEIR era is because THAT music is somehow superior to other stuff, I get a big chuckle. Because it seems to me that, for all their experience and musicianship, they are operating from the same inclinations as are most of the musically-inexperienced audience members they often look down upon for having poor taste.

Having said that, I have no problem with any dad or granddad (or any other) band that wants to play whatever music it is they personally enjoy and feel they play well. But they need to do so with the reasonable expectations that come along with that. If you don't want to play anything released after 1980 in a nightclub, that's fine--but be prepared to understand very few people who grew up in that era go out to nightclubs anymore and that it will be very hit-and-miss regarding which and how-many younger people will enjoy your songlist.

• Members

Music is sometimes a lot like cars. A LOT of younger people (yes, I'm a grandpa) like classic cars and music. They seem to dovetail somehow.

Most the new stuff isn't that memorable, just like most cars. If you like to dance, like the sound of a big V8, you like classic rock.

Trying to explain the thrill of driving a GTO around town to some punk with a riceburner will get you nowhere, just like trying to do the same with the same in music.

I know that more younger people like classic rock than older people liking current music (in general). I think we got it right back there in the '60s.

Dittos to Guido's above post.

• Members

One thing that hasn't been asked is this:

Was there a good crowd? Were they getting a good response?

To me this is the only true measure of a band's success. (Am I wrong?)

If the answer is yes, then the fact that they weren't getting paid is because they are ignoring the business side of the music business.

If the answer is no, then I too would be asking why they are going to the trouble of packing their gear out for a gig. Or maybe they're in the wrong club as richardmac points out.

• Members

I know that more younger people like classic rock than older people liking current music (in general).

True, but that's always been the case. Older music has more opportunity for wider exposure and younger people are just more open-minded in general. Back in the 90's there was the big swing revival and there were a lot more younger people listening to 40s music than people who grew up with swing listening to 90s music. Was there actually something more special about music from the 60s? Maybe. But there are also a lot more boomers in control of media outlets like TV and movies and advertising who keep a lot of that music out there.

Yeah, there's a lot of great music from the 60s and a lot of opportunity for it to remain culturally-relevant. But is that music objectively any better than stuff that came out in the 70s, 80s, 90s or later? I'm not so sure about that. Music from just about any era all seems like it is just "three chords and a lot of noise" to SOMEBODY.

• Members

One thing that hasn't been asked is this:

Was there a good crowd? Were they getting a good response?

To me this is the only true measure of a band's success. (Am I wrong?)

Not always true. I recently played a new gig where I thought I was DYING on stage. No applause. No one making requests. No one even looking my way. When I'd finish a song, the silence was deafening. However, at my first break, the owner booked me for another gig on the spot. Seems the patrons thought I was awesome, they were just really digging the laid back vibe. Also, someone who saw me there that night booked me for a very lucrative private party a month or so later. So, you can't always make those kind of judgements!

• Members

I think bands have to find their nitch , and work it. We are the country/beach/ classic rock guys. We have a band that does the club thing that plays country and modern dance stuff. We have a blues band, and we also have a classic rock band, and a totally original ska type band thats an institution down here. one venue has touring bands that come in for a week. A couple of the above bands are joined at the hip with a venue and basically have houseband, home digg status. what you play has alot to do with what your crowd tends to be. Last night we broke the record on ring at the bar playing for an all age crowd. More tables have been added and the dance floor has been pretty well eliminated. Its that time of year. For bands to be happy they have to be comfortable in their own skin and be a good fit for their crowd. Everyone gets in to this being in a band thing for different reasons and have differnt goals. If you are meeting your goals for your band ,, you can consider yourselves to be a successful weekend warrior band. They come in all flavors and they come with all kinds of goals and purpose.

• Members

So I decided to get out of the house tonight, and went to my usual dive bar.

There was a Dad band there. Five-piece, all with gray hair, all in T-shirts and cargo shorts. They didn't play anything released after 1980.

They wrapped up early, and after chatting up the keyboard player and taking a gander at the internals of the Hammond B-3 and Leslie speaker that he had somehow hauled into the bar, I decided to head across the street.

Where a Grandpa band was playing. Five-piece, all with sparse gray hair or no hair at all. They didn't play anything released after 1965.

My question is... why????

It is SO hard to find a few killer songs released since you were a teenager? Do they feel awkward playing newer stuff? Do they just not have the time/energy/willpower/interest?

Just curious. Because I'm no kid, but I'll bust out some Bruno Mars or whatever without giving it a second thought.

If it's a popular venue that hired the band and didn't have such a good night then I'd blame the venue not the band. Unless the band misrepresented itself it's more than likely they were cheap... July tends to be a slow band month (people are away on vacation) and there's not much risk in hiring an affordable band even if they don't bring anyone.

• Members

There was a Dad band there. Five-piece, all with gray hair, all in T-shirts and cargo shorts. They didn't play anything released after 1980.

They wrapped up early, and after chatting up the keyboard player and taking a gander at the internals of the Hammond B-3 and Leslie speaker that he had somehow hauled into the bar, I decided to head across the street.

Where a Grandpa band was playing. Five-piece, all with sparse gray hair or no hair at all. They didn't play anything released after 1965.

It is SO hard to find a few killer songs released since you were a teenager? Do they feel awkward playing newer stuff? Do they just not have the time/energy/willpower/interest?

Just curious. Because I'm no kid, but I'll bust out some Bruno Mars or whatever without giving it a second thought.

Its what bands like that play.... not really all that hard to figure out. Did they do a good job of the material they played? thats kinda the bottom line on bands.

• Members

I can't stop imagining this as a scene from a Matt Groening show :)

• Members

If it's a popular venue that hired the band and didn't have such a good night then I'd blame the venue not the band. Unless the band misrepresented itself it's more than likely they were cheap... July tends to be a slow band month (people are away on vacation) and there's not much risk in hiring an affordable band even if they don't bring anyone.

Good point. I know around here a lot of venues book new bands in the summer, and, if they like 'em, invite 'em back during the busy season.

• Members

True, but that's always been the case. Older music has more opportunity for wider exposure and younger people are just more open-minded in general. Back in the 90's there was the big swing revival and there were a lot more younger people listening to 40s music than people who grew up with swing listening to 90s music. Was there actually something more special about music from the 60s? Maybe. But there are also a lot more boomers in control of media outlets like TV and movies and advertising who keep a lot of that music out there.

Yeah, there's a lot of great music from the 60s and a lot of opportunity for it to remain culturally-relevant. But is that music objectively any better than stuff that came out in the 70s, 80s, 90s or later? I'm not so sure about that. Music from just about any era all seems like it is just "three chords and a lot of noise" to SOMEBODY.

+1. Furthermore the classic music that young people listen to is cherry-picked to only include the very best stuff. I mean, when those now classics were on the radio, they were sandwiched betwee a lot of crap that didn't stand the test of time.

• Members

Its what bands like that play.... not really all that hard to figure out. Did they do a good job of the material they played? thats kinda the bottom line on bands.

Yes, they played well, which I mentioned in a later post in this thread, but they didn't draw flies and lost whatever crowd was usually there. I guess it's just another version of the commerce vs. art debate, and it's not that interesting a topic.

Certainly there are plenty of bands with older members that DO play recent music, including several that hang out here... and bands that specialize in classic songs, and find the right venues to play those. I'd like to think you'd go one way or another as a band, and not bother playing to an empty house, but if they are hobbyists, then whatever.

• Members

I pretty much follow the rock band / guitar hero song lists when it comes to classic rock.

I have to say: I think the tone of the OP is a bit ageist - only two things really matter: were they gigging? Did they get paid?

Bottom line is they were on the stage(s) and you were in the crowd(s).

Not to start crap, but sometimes perspective is needed on all sides.

Don't worry about what other bands do.. if you got all the answers on entertainment, isn't it to your benefit if some older-than-dirt band is playing worn out garbage, right? I'd think you would want the competition to be weak?

Just playing the devils advocate here, nothing personal :thu:

• Members

I have to say: I think the tone of the OP is a bit ageist - only two things really matter: were they gigging? Did they get paid?

:confused: Did I say they shouldn't be out there? Or "LOL look at the old people on stage"?

They can do whatever they want. But they also COULD play some newer stuff. I mean, it's allowed. I was wondering if there was anything interesting behind that kind of decision, but apparently everyone thinks the reason was "They didn't feel like it."

So, nothing to see here, I guess.

• Members

To a certain degree when people are saying that "today's music isn't as good as the old stuff" they are saying "there aren't as many good songs released in 2011 as there have been released over the past 40 years combined."

Nice! I like that. You're right.

• Members

:confused:
Did I say they shouldn't be out there? Or "LOL look at the old people on stage"?

They can do whatever they want. But they also COULD play some newer stuff. I mean, it's allowed. I was wondering if there was anything interesting behind that kind of decision, but apparently everyone thinks the reason was "They didn't feel like it."

So, nothing to see here, I guess.

well in all honesty, you DO come off like that, yes. You say in one same sentence that they can do what they want, then you criticize them in the next for doing what they want, instead of what you think they should do..

People tend to play the music of their generations, respectively. I'd not want to see a 65 year old geezer playing "{censored} you" or some miley cyrus song. I want to hear them do a dynamite job on some deep purple. Light up some highway star and kick up that organ!

Leave the younger music to the younger bands.

Most bands play variety around here, little bit of everything, as does mine. It's not rare, so I don't care what the older guys/bands play.

• Members

well in all honesty, you DO come off like that, yes. You say in one same sentence that they can do what they want, then you criticize them in the next for doing what they want, instead of what you think they should do..

Where did I criticize them? Where did I say what I think they should do? I don't care WHAT they do. I'm just trying to learn something about the thought process.

It was YOU that just came back with "leave the younger music to the younger bands." So... who's ageist?

Anyway, I'm done. Thanks to those who provided insights.

• Members
Where did I criticize them? Where did I say what I think they should do? I don't care WHAT they do. I'm just trying to learn something about the thought process.

It was YOU that just came back with "leave the younger music to the younger bands." So... who's ageist?

Anyway, I'm done. Thanks to those who provided insights.

I'm still trying to figure out how you knew their financial dealings with these two clubs. Also, you made it sound like you seldom go out and check out live music locally and in the next breath you state that these two bands didn't keep the crowds like most bands do at these two venues.

• Members

This^^^^^

Dad bands who aren't at least semi pro, gots them some families to raise. And their POV is to play what is easiest, which means songs they already know. Which means songs they learned 30 years ago when they had time to practice. They might learn something new, but since they play to mostly folks their own age, Bruno Mars is like,....well.....NOT.

And since you feel like some "trying to hard" dork in anything other than cargos and t's, playing Bruno is gonna make you ESPECIALLY self conscious.

But if they depend on the income, they will MAKE WHATEVER THEY HAVE TO PLAY WORK.

So don't hate the player, hate the game......

Archived