OT: Midwest bands... now I understand the hurdle!

wheresgrant3

• Members

Even if these chicks were smokin' hot, would the ad make you want to go to Fargo? There are plenty of hot chicks and 'legendary' potential locations around the country if that's the case. And which one of you losers is going to get a smokin' hot chick, anywa....Wait a minute - is that the scandal? They put 3 mildly attractive yet chubby girls in an ad - and guys are supposed to think they'll get lucky for sure in Fargo?

It is quite documented that less attractive women have lower standards, so with my above average looks if I went to Fargo I would be hitting chicks off with a bat!!!

Advertising is all about visuals and sex. Hot chicks = more attention, more attention = more people going to Fargo.

• Members

Even if these chicks were smokin' hot, would the ad make you want to go to Fargo? There are plenty of hot chicks and 'legendary' potential locations around the country if that's the case. And which one of you losers is going to get a smokin' hot chick, anywa....Wait a minute - is that the scandal? They put 3 mildly attractive yet chubby girls in an ad - and guys are supposed to think they'll get lucky for sure in Fargo?

I think the ad should say "Come to North Dakota. You'll be a Legend among the local ladies because the odds are very good you'll be the among the top 1% of Best Looking Men in Town simply by virtue of having a decent hair cut and a nice shirt."

• Members

Maybe we are looking at the add all wrong. It looks like the girls are window shopping the guys. Since there is a shortage of women In N. Dakota if you're female come here and get better looking partners than you could get back home.

Then they should have shown a nightclub filled with guys. Not really getting much sense of "guys outnumber girls 10 to 1" in that picture....

• Members

Then t
hey should have shown a nightclub filled with guys
. Not really getting much sense of "guys outnumber girls 10 to 1" in that picture....

I'd guess they tried that, but SF's Castro District and South Beach threatened to sue for IP infringement.

• Members

I get where it comes across as tasteless. I'm not sure I even really get the marketing tagline...."Leave a LEGEND"? What are you supposed to do in ND that is going to make you "legendary"? With whom? The locals? It's SOUNDS catchy on the surface, but falls apart if you try to put any deeper thought into it, and the deeper thought that THIS poster implies IS a bit tasteless, IMO.

Personally, I'm not offended...but I'm an old jaded musician. But I can certainly see where people might think that "come to ND, bang the hell out of our women, and then leave" isn't something they want to be known for.

Guess I wasn't as clear as I intended with my previous post. The "Arrive a Guest, Leave a Legend" slogan is a part of several different ad photo shoots. I think there are 10 in all. You can see them here. Only 9 of them are displayed due to the controversy.

This was the only ad that caught people's attention in the wrong way. With this picture in the context of the slogan, it's almost like they are comparing ND to Vegas with the "Whatever happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" thing. But showing someone going hiking or hunting? The slogan means something completely different.

• Members

Maybe we are looking at the add all wrong. It looks like the girls are window shopping the guys. Since there is a shortage of women In N. Dakota if you're female come here and get better looking partners than you could get back home.

Haha, that's one of the ways I took the ad too, like they were passing by a pet store or something!

"hmmm...I'll take that one!" (girl points out her pick) :lol:

• Members

Guess I wasn't as clear as I intended with my previous post. The "Arrive a Guest, Leave a Legend" slogan is a part of several different ad photo shoots. I think there are 10 in all. You can see them
. Only 9 of them are displayed due to the controversy.

This was the only ad that caught people's attention in the wrong way. With this picture in the context of the slogan, it's almost like they are comparing ND to Vegas with the "Whatever happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" thing. But showing someone going hiking or hunting? The slogan means something completely different.

Yeah, it's a better slogan in those other contexts.

• Members

I think the ad should say "Come to North Dakota. You'll be a Legend among the local ladies because the odds are very good you'll be the among the top 1% of Best Looking Men in Town simply by virtue of having a decent hair cut and a nice shirt."

That'd sure be one long-ass bumper sticker...

• Members

my problem with the ad is that they could've contracted out 3 better looking chicks from a nearby major city.... I'm not flying 2500 miles to go clubbing in Fargo for that!

This.

I will add that friends and I used to go rafting in different states, and after camping a few years we stayed at a Ramada Inn in West Virginia.

We partied at the hotel bar, buying people drinks and all managed to hook up with the locals...guess they liked us "city folk"....plus the girls were alot hotter than in this ad.

Even the dwarf my roomate hooked up with....all weekend it was "Cant reach this" sung to MC Hammer's "Can't touch this".

Archived