Practicing your shtick (stage moves, breakdowns, crowd interaction, etc)?

• Members

I'm wondering how many of you guys put much specific thought into certain elements of your stage show. Stuff like breakdowns, going out into the crowd and pulling people up to the stage, doing those games where you pit half the room against the other, etc. Seems most high level function bands do lots of this stuff and am just curious how it is thought up and rehearsed. Anyone care to share?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the main thing is to be in a band that can get away with it. Once you've got that down, sit down with the other band members, see what they think. Especially your frontman, since they're the one doing all the work. Either come up with an idea collectively or rip it off from a couple famous bands you've seen doing something you like. Pick a song with a big chorus to come back to and room for an extended bridge in the middle. Do it as best you can in practice, come up with som4 kinr ot fu4 so that you know when to come back in, and go for it.

• Members

we have a good idea about where certain stuff that involves crowd participation happens, but every once in awhile our singer will throw us a curve ball. Keeps us on our toes. As far as rehearsing exactly what goes on, no but we have an idea, for instance- We do a call and answer kind of thing during dynamite (yes that song STILL kills) We know its coming but we only really made note of it when we first learned the song we never rehearsed it cuz you never know what is going to happen there.

• Members

ummm, yeah.

No disrespect but I've seen some of your band's videos and you guys don't do anything remotely close to what I'm talking about, which is why I asked.

Anyway, I just saw a band yesterday that had 4 (maybe 5) lead singers, all phenomenally talented, and had some very elaborate stage craft. They had carefully choreographed dance parts, members running out into the audience simultaneously on the left and right sides of the room and meeting in the middle at the back, skit-type things like bringing up 6 white guys to dance and do background singing, little "contests" between audience members, etc. It was like theater in a lot of ways and very obviously not something you just show up and do off-the-cuff. Really kept the crowd into it and truly made them part of the show. This goes WAY beyond just naturally being into the music and moving around to the beat. When they weren't engaged in these structured pieces, they did the normal dancing around thing and grooving like we all do.

Short of telekinesis, I'm just curious how all that structured stuff is worked out. Like, do you stop a song at rehearsal and say "wait, I have an idea for this interaction piece," then assign band members parts and run through it? Do you script it out ahead of time? Come up with a bunch of ideas, try them out and see what works? We're not even really that type of band so we won't be doing too much of it, I'm just curious how it all works.

• Members

We'll discuss certain ideas at practice, maybe work them out... but in reality we really don't do alot of heavy shtick. We have a roadie who is our human mascot and will do about anything. We'll come up with ideas for him to do but we never work them out in practice. It's always between or before the show. Most of any schtick we do involves his participation.

He's the guy we'll get to dress up in the Leperchaun costume for St Pats.... or as LMFAO during sexy and I know it. We can focus on the music and he can be the certain of attention. It works.

The Zip Files

• Members

No disrespect but I've seen some of your band's videos and you guys don't do anything
remotely
close to what I'm talking about, which is why I asked.

Anyway, I just saw
a band
yesterday that had 4 (maybe 5) lead singers, all phenomenally talented, and had some very elaborate stage craft.

Patrice Hawthorne is the former Peaches of the musical duo Peaches and Herb for 12 years. She performed as Peaches singing hits like Shake your groove thing and Reunited all around the world. In addition to her being a singer/entertainer, she is also an actress and model. Check out the other side of Patrice at www.patricehawthorne.com

Well here you go... not any ordinary cover band. She's had a background in music and entertainment. It's probably her full time devotion.

• Moderators

Any band that I've been in over the years let it's crowd interaction evolve naturally. When all the musicians agree that any arrangement can take a turn anywhere at any time, you're good to go. Combine that with a front man who naturally wants to do that stuff and it will evolve on its own.

I'm not saying that is the only way, but that is the only way I've ever known.

• Members

No disrespect but I've seen some of your band's videos and you guys don't do anything
remotely
close to what I'm talking about, which is why I asked.

Anyway, I just saw
yesterday that had 4 (maybe 5) lead singers, all phenomenally talented, and had some very elaborate stage craft. They had carefully choreographed dance parts, members running out into the audience simultaneously on the left and right sides of the room and meeting in the middle at the back, skit-type things like bringing up 6 white guys to dance and do background singing, little "contests" between audience members, etc. It was like theater in a lot of ways and very obviously not something you just show up and do off-the-cuff. Really kept the crowd into it and truly made them part of the show. This goes WAY beyond just naturally being into the music and moving around to the beat. When they weren't engaged in these structured pieces, they did the normal dancing around thing and grooving like we all do.

Short of telekinesis, I'm just curious how all that structured stuff is worked out. Like, do you stop a song at rehearsal and say "wait, I have an idea for this interaction piece," then assign band members parts and run through it? Do you script it out ahead of time? Come up with a bunch of ideas, try them out and see what works? We're not even really that type of band so we won't be doing too much of it, I'm just curious how it all works.

Anything that crosses the line to choreographed dance parts and involved many persons will almost certainly need to be rehearsed.

We do a couple of skit type things and audience-participation things but they aren't really so elaborate that they don't involve rehearsal. At most it might be "OK...the band keeps vamping over this while the girls do that..." or "I'm going to stop the band here and talk to the crowd for a minute and then we'll start the song up again". And maybe there might be some discussion after of "I think it would go better next time to do it all like this" and usually the bits evolve over time.

• Members

Successful schtick is ALL about timing. You can go through the motions at a rehearsal - but you'll never be able to replicate the crowd interaction that is necessary to be able to judge that timing. You can work on stuff like the intra-band communication that has to be there in order for "breakdowns" to come off smoothly - but stuff like "going out into the crowd and pulling people up to the stage, doing those games where you pit half the room against the other, etc." - not so much. Trying to "practice" that at rehearsal and thinking it's getting you ready for the real thing is like thinking that whacking off is gonna is some way prepare you for a relationship.

• Members

Successful schtick is ALL about
timing.
You can go through the motions at a rehearsal - but you'll
never
be able to replicate the crowd interaction that is necessary to be able to judge that timing. You can work on stuff like the intra-band communication that has to be there in order for "breakdowns" to come off smoothly - but stuff like "going out into the crowd and pulling people up to the stage, doing those games where you pit half the room against the other, etc." - not so much. Trying to "practice" that at rehearsal and thinking it's getting you ready for the
real
thing is like thinking that whacking off is gonna is some way prepare you for a
relationship.

Exactly, because you can't know what the people in the audience are going to do, so you have to be prepared to do stuff on the fly.

A lot of it depends on the strength of your front person. A great front person can lead the band and control the crowd through almost anything. The less experienced/talented your front person is at this sort of stuff, the more rehearsed some bits need to be.

• Members

For years now, ever since I've been wireless (guitar and headset mic) I'll always take at least one opportunity to walk around the club/bar while playing and/or singing. It's fun to do and never fails to generate at least a few smiles.

• Members

Exactly, because you can't know what the people in the audience are going to do, so you have to be prepared to do stuff on the fly.

A lot of it depends on the strength of your front person. A great front person can lead the band and control the crowd through almost anything. The less experienced/talented your front person is at this sort of stuff, the more rehearsed some bits need to be.

Pretty much agree!

• Members

I think if you have to rehearse it you won't be very successful at it.

+10 Rehearsed schtick is usually cheese.

No disrespect but I've seen some of your band's videos and you guys don't do anything remotely close to what I'm talking about, which is why I asked.

Just because a guy's not a mechanic doesn't mean he doesn't know how an internal combustion engine works.

• Members

I think a little schtick is fun, and can be a good thing. I've never done much, but it's kind of fun to think about. I think my mates and I could pull something off on one or two tunes at most.

Sidebar - ahead of gigs, do you think about any banter or dialogue that you'll use? For some including me, that should have some advanced planning. I can't tell you how many recordings I've listened to where I thought I was being funny at the time, but wasn't. At all.

• Members

Sidebar - ahead of gigs, do you think about any banter or dialogue that you'll use? For some including me, that should have some advanced planning. I can't tell you how many recordings I've listened to where I thought I was being funny at the time, but wasn't. At all.

Ax it and just go into the next song. Unless you're REALLY GOOD at it, and as such your banter is an integral part of your act, all you're doing is filling time when what you should be doing is the act people came to see.

• Members

Agreed - that has been the trend for us. But there are times when I am expected to speak, and I always like to be able to do it well: concise and good humored. Amazing how hard that can be.

Yes. I think you either have to be a natural at it or, at the very least, have been doing it so long that your 'schtick' seems natural. Some guys can read the phone book and keep the audience enthralled. I've got a few things I can say if I need to that I can fall back on and make seem natural because I'm well rehearsed at them, but THAT sort of rehearsal is from years of doing it on stage with an audience. You can practice that, I don't reallyt hink.

• Members

Ax it and just go into the next song. Unless you're REALLY GOOD at it, and as such your banter is an integral part of your act, all you're doing is filling time when what you should be doing is the act people came to see.

Agreed 100%. Also...even if you are good at banter, and can keep the crowd enthralled for 30 seconds after each song, make sure that when you stop the band goes immediately into the next song.

• Members

Sometimes the idea for the interaction piece comes first and then we find a song that fits what we want to do. For weddings especially, where there are certain interaction things we might want to do throughout the night---something for the bridesmaids; something for the groomsmen; something for the kids; something for grandma and grandpa; cake cutting; garter toss---we have sometimes come up with an idea of "oh THIS would be cool do!" or "I saw a band do something like THIS once!" and then we have to think of a song that would really accentuate what we're trying to do.

Archived