RIP Bob Welch

• Members

I agree with Stevie. So very sad.

I was considering playing "Ebony Eyes" in my band last year. When I played the song for various people, too many of them said "Who?", so I decided not to do it. I enjoyed "Ebony Eyes" a lot. I thought it was Electric Light Orchestra or the Steve Miller Band when I was a kid. I also liked "Sentimental Lady." Whenever that song was played on the radio, I would try to tape it on my old Realistic cassette recorder (the mono kind with a handle).

Hopefully, he found some peace.

• Members

I had French Kiss on cassette. Loved every song.

Even "Hot Love, Cold World" appearing three times.....

But yeah...that was a great album. He kinda peaked there though. And he had some classic tracks with FM too. I also liked "Bermuda Triangle" and "Angel" from Heroes Are So Hard To Find.

Story is that when he left the band, he was the one who suggested to Mick Fleetwood that he take a listen to Lindsay Buckingham as a possible replacement.

• Members

Wow, like Brad Delp (sp?), I wonder what would push a man with so much talent to take his own life. So very sad.

Apparently he had health issues which included spinal surgery a few months back which was debilitating. That being said he seemed kind of bitter about his time with Fleetwood Mac and not being inducted in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame with the other members of the band.

Brad Delp on the other hand had absolutely no reason (that we know of) to do what he did. He was healthy, newly married and ready to tour with his old band Boston when he killed himself.

• Members

That being said he seemed kind of bitter about his time with Fleetwood Mac and not being inducted in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame with the other members of the band.

That's too bad. I don't know the internal story there but, by all accounts I've heard, Welch was the one who convinced the band to relocate to LA and then decided to leave. So obviously he was unhappy with the group but I never heard that anyone forced him out. As far as not being in the R'nR hall of fame....sorry Bob, but had you stayed with the band and they don't add Buckingham and Nicks, you probably STILL don't get inducted.

• Members

It would suck to be excluded from the hall when the band you played with went in, but that's hardly a reason to off yourself. the RnR hall is a complete joke IMO. there's only so many people/groups who should be in it and they passed that number a long time ago. Now, it's like they have to put people in so they can have a show.

Apparently he had health issues which included spinal surgery a few months back which was debilitating. That being said he seemed kind of bitter about his time with Fleetwood Mac and not being inducted in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame with the other members of the band.

Brad Delp on the other hand had absolutely no reason (that we know of) to do what he did. He was healthy, newly married and ready to tour with his old band Boston when he killed himself.

• Members

It would suck to be excluded from the hall when the band you played with went in, but that's hardly a reason to off yourself.

A report I read today said that his wife said that after his spinal surgery the doctors told him he would not recover and that he did not want to be an invalid she'd have to care for.

Sucks in our society that the only way to end your own life under such circumstances is in some ungraceful manner that usually results in a horrible mess for your family to find, clean up and deal with. But had the family dog been given the same diagnosis he'd have been painlessly and gracefully put to sleep with the family at his side and with the greatest degree of dignity possible.

• Members

....sorry Bob, but had you stayed with the band and they don't add Buckingham and Nicks, you probably STILL don't get inducted.

or maybe without Bob they would have never made it to the Lindsey and Stevie era. Everything is connected. Go back in time and step on one bug, find the Earth a desolate wasteland when you return. What they did was brutal and they did it over a business feud. Maybe today they might all like to go back and change it, maybe not. If it were me I might send his widow my statue....

• Members
or maybe without Bob they would have never made it to the Lindsey and Stevie era. Everything is connected. Go back in time and step on one bug, find the Earth a desolate wasteland when you return. What they did was brutal and they did it over a business feud. Maybe today they might all like to go back and change it, maybe not. If it were me I might send his widow my statue....

good point. There are a lot of "forks" in the road of life. Any of them can change your course.

• Members

Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, and Jeremy Spencer were inducted so I think Bob should have been included. Both Danny Kirwan and Bob Welch were not founding members but part of that in between era. But then again I guess you could make a case for Bob Weston and that wasn't going to happen.

• Members

Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, and Jeremy Spencer were inducted so I think Bob should have been included. Both Danny Kirwan and Bob Welch were not founding members but part of that in between era.

Yes. Apparently there was some pretty bad blood there. I was reading his wiki page today. According to that he never got along very well with the McVie's anyway and then he and Mick had a big falling out over royalities.

But he always got along well with Lindsay and Stevie.

• Members

Sad.

I got a bit obsessed by his music a while back, first rediscovering the great "Hypnotized" and "Sentimental Lady", then discovering his super cool album tracks on those Fleetwood Mac records that he was important on (Future Games is a moody masterpiece).

But seeing him on YouTube was disturbing. The Sentimental Lady video is really embarrassing; he just didn't have the visual appeal and charisma to seal the deal (like Mac did after he left).

He has, or had, a website that was kind of sad too- low-budget, homemade but not hip. He was obviously very smart and had a lot he wanted to share about his philosophies as well as his music, in prose... but again, his execution wasn't terribly well realized or coherent (his song lyrics were the weakest part of his music, too). I got the depressing sense of a gifted, creative guy who had peaked many years ago, and knew it. Again, sad. I'm less surprised that he committed suicide after looking at the website.

We all mourn the passing of those few hugely talented artists that leave an undeniable mark in our culture. But what of those lesser creators who manage, to some degree or another, to channel just a bit of that inspiration? Maybe it's because the vast majority of us are "mediocre" in our artistic expression (ya think??) that the sum total of the life of a guy like Bob seems so poignant to me.

• Members

That's too bad. I don't know the internal story there but, by all accounts I've heard, Welch was the one who convinced the band to relocate to LA and then decided to leave. So obviously he was unhappy with the group but I never heard that anyone forced him out. As far as not being in the R'nR hall of fame....sorry Bob, but had you stayed with the band and they don't add Buckingham and Nicks, you probably STILL don't get inducted.

Bob Welch was with the band for 4 years and recorded 3 albums with Fleetwood Mac from 1971-75. He was in the band as long as both Jeremy Spencer and Peter Green who were the original guitarists. Even though the band was called Fleetwood Mac, Peter Green was essentially the leader and it was he who formed the band from the beginning. Peter Green basically flamed out in 1970 from too much LSD and very shortly after that Jeremy Spencer joined a religious commune.

It's too bad because if you listen to early Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac they were one of the most blistering blues/rock bands to ever come out of the UK. They also had many #1 charting songs in Britain and Europe long before the introduction of Nicks and Buckingham and were huge fan favorites when they toured the USA in the late 60's. People seem to forget that now.

Of course I don't think Welch's suicide was connected to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame thing. I only mentioned that in my previous post because poor Bob did feel genuinely snubbed by Fleetwood Mac from an interview I read that was posted after he died the other day.

• Members

Of course I don't think Welch's suicide was connected to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame thing.

really depends upon the person. I can brush off a lot of things but getting snubbed for the R&R HOF would be a lot to handle. Some people handle disability better than others and can deal with a long painful exit from life. Others find it more noble to exit on their own terms. The world of depression and despair has many building blocks.

Archived