Guido61....

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Fights like my wife....

Or like my mother in law. If you disagree with her, her brain computes that as "You obviously didn't understand me. I need to repeat it".

Not knocking Guido though. I've usually found his comments helpful.

• Members

Or like my mother in law. If you disagree with her, her brain computes that as "You obviously didn't understand me. I need to repeat it".

the most annoying of the annoying are those who refuse to let others have their own opinion. There's a lot of that going around, not just here.

• Members

the most annoying of the annoying are those who refuse to let others have their own opinion. There's a lot of that going around, not just here.

Well, the whole point of a discussion (RL or Web) is that everyone's opinions might not be equally valid or valuable. Even if your "opponent" is never going to change his mind, others might learn something (or YOU might learn something). So part of being a useful contributor is to go ahead and challenge other's opinions.

While it's foolish to argue endlessly over something about which reasonable people might differ, it IS useful to discuss different perspectives, point out inconsistencies, share wisdom learned through experience, etc.

• Members

While it's foolish to argue endlessly over something about which reasonable people might differ, it IS useful to discuss different perspectives, point out inconsistencies, share wisdom learned through experience, etc.

it is true that sometimes I have learned the most while pondering points of view I did not initially agree with, often with a blended theory emerging.

• Members

some people are Working Musicians and some people are 'working musicians'. I pick up what Guido throws down in every post. I'm a Working Musician and I get the vibe he is too.

I consider myself to be a Working Musician, if not a 'working musician' (would love for hear whatever criteria Sarricola uses to differentiate between the 2 categories, BTW).

I'm set up to make as much $$ per hour as anybody here, as best I can break it down: $3K per average corporate/wedding gig, minus 15% agency fee, minus gas expense, minus 4-6 hours driving-time, with 3-4 hours stage time factored in = $30-$35 per hr with a 6- piece band, as best as I can break it down. But what I like about my situation is: I make near equivalent $$ with more onstage MUSIC PERFORMANCE time (hereafter referred to as WANK time, approx. 12 hrs over a 3-gig weekend vs one 10-12 hour marathon), and virtually no set-up/tear-down or drive time. House-band gigs ROCK, IMO (and so do well-paid solo Sunday brunch gigs).

And no biggie if anyone doesn't here doesn't "get" my vibe. I much prefer vibes from the real world, thank you, I find them much more satisfying than whatever vibes you getfrom being Top Dog on the internet (not that I would know how THAT feels, lol).

• Members

Since you (Guido) are in a band that is working steadily (which is better than I'm doing at the moment) I usually listen to your advice and apply it if it will work in my situation.

That said I think that starting an online poll about yourself ranks right up there with people who refer to themselves in the third person. :)

• Members

guido = spice of life

I been throwin around with him for the past couple of years. And yes, he hangs on like a pit bull and doesn't let go. And he rarely makes demonstratively declarative points without giving himself plenty of leeway. Hard to catch him in a corner.

But it sho nuff is fun tryin'!;):p:lol:

All in all it makes for some great internet fun. If anyone takes it too seriously, they need to make like a noob and stfu. I have respect for the guy as a musician and bandleader and like his persona here. I mean, if you don't wanna go toe to toe for a while with him, then don't return fire, knowhatimsain'?

I do hate that it got personal with Lee in the other forum. I hope they PM's it out and had bro hugs and {censored}.....

• Members

I'm in the like guido camp too. I love that he's engaged and passionate about what he's doing. Anyone who has been playing music and gigging for a few decades has strong opinions about the whole mess. I certainly have mine. One of the great things about this board is that I've come to realize my experiences, my location, and my way of getting from point A to point B has been, and is, completely different than most others. I've never lived anywhere but SF, and 90% of the gigs I've done have been within 50 miles of town. Through the posters I've gained some idea of what's it's like to gig in many other places. I haven't played in a cover band for over 25 years, but again, I have some idea of what that's about through the posts. I can't fathom doing some of the stuff that some guys do in order to play this or that gig, but I'm sure many would feel the same about some of the stuff I've ended up doing. It's good entertainment, with a bit of learning and sharing. Koom bye ya to y'all.

• Members

... I'm set up to make as much $$ per hour as anybody here, as best I can break it down: $3K per average corporate/wedding gig, minus 15% agency fee, minus gas expense, minus 4-6 hours driving-time, with 3-4 hours stage time factored in = $30-$35 per hr with a 6- piece band, as best as I can break it down. But what I like about my situation is: I make near equivalent $$ with more onstage MUSIC PERFORMANCE time (hereafter referred to as WANK time, approx. 12 hrs over a 3-gig weekend vs one 10-12 hour marathon), and virtually
no
set-up/tear-down or drive time. House-band gigs ROCK, IMO (and so do well-paid solo Sunday brunch gigs)...

I think this is an excellent point!

But you left out: taxes (cause they probably don't all pay cash), equipment costs, lights, sound man, practice time (alone, in groups), programming time, post show meeting time, practice travel, overhead for practice, etc.

You've also got to figure if this is a serious business what to do if someone quits, a car breaks down on the four hour drive or suddenly someone has to not show up or leave for "personal reasons" - you need a ready backups and/or a way to do the show without someone.

Similarly if a critical piece of equipment breaks or flakes out how many single points of failure do I have?, e.g., the Kronos with all the program track stuff or the main soundboard gets fried or dropped, or the generator running the show hiccups, etc.

Low overhead = more $'s, far less risk of a no-performance failure, fewer headaches and lots less grief. :lol:

• Members

And for what it's worth, I think everyone here has some good advice and some {censored} that's garbage. The key is to filter out the bad and recognize the good. I applaude anyone who posts here 50 times a day, because while much of what that person says might not apply to my situation, if I can get 1-2 good ideas a week, I'm a winner.

Guido haters need to realize this.

Please resume....

• Members

So why are you here?

Used to play in bands and do solo gigs. It's entertaining to watch. Are you the internet Barney Fife? Why do I take no one's advice? Because you have to make up your own damn mind for what works for you in the market/genre you're in. Doesn't mean you can't glean tidbits from other's experiences, but ultimately what works (or didn't) for them has absolutely no direct bearing on my individual situation. Reading a forum does not mean I copy/paste everyone's sage wisdom into a wiki and follow it like a cookbook. If I'm not allowed to watch everyone get bent out of shape and express my opinion to an open poll like this one, then the mod can ban me and my life will continue.

My "join date" was after I hung it up for good. Started off bouncing a couple questions around as I was waffling my decision. When I decided I did what was right for me, I continued to check in periodically to enjoy the show.

• Members

I didn't check a single category in the poll, because "awww, Guido's not THAT bad" wasn't a choice :D. Success paints a bullseye on your back so watch out...

And other factors do too so watch out for that, also. Get your ass back here David, we're not done with you, dammit! :evil::D

• Members
Used to play in bands and do solo gigs. It's entertaining to watch. Are you the internet Barney Fife? Why do I take no one's advice? Because you have to make up your own damn mind for what works for you in the market/genre you're in. Doesn't mean you can't glean tidbits from other's experiences, but ultimately what works (or didn't) for them has absolutely no direct bearing on my individual situation. Reading a forum does not mean I copy/paste everyone's sage wisdom into a wiki and follow it like a cookbook. If I'm not allowed to watch everyone get bent out of shape and express my opinion to an open poll like this one, then the mod can ban me and my life will continue.

My "join date" was after I hung it up for good. Started off bouncing a couple questions around as I was waffling my decision. When I decided I did what was right for me, I continued to check in periodically to enjoy the show.

you just contradicted your earlier post.

• Members

apparently Guido61 is posting on other forums and avoiding BWTB.

Sure. It got pretty ugly and personal in that one thread with Lee. And I hate that.....

Prolly just taking some time away. I don't sense him a butthurt kinda fellow.

I hope he doesn't avoid permanently. He was a prolific contributor and a good guy.

Archived