Guido61....

• Members

Sure. It got pretty ugly and personal in that one thread with Lee. And I hate that.....

Prolly just taking some time away. I don't sense him a butthurt kinda fellow.

I hope he doesn't avoid permanently. He was a prolific contributor and a good guy.

I somehow missed the fireworks.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know...right? Who starts a thread about himself???

I just figured since at least two threads had devolved into conversations about ME that I'd start another so everyone could get it out of their system in one easily-avoidable thread. And to the degree that Guido61 serves as a Rorschach's test for other forum members, perhaps the thread could even be a bit cathartic.

Of course the poll itself wasn't meant to be taken seriously---otherwise the obvious "needed" choices would have existed. But 5 people thought I was the man?? I don't know whether I should be flattered, appalled, or just feel sorry for whoever answered that. But a special "thank you" must go out to MickeyKeys for taking me up on my offer to let me use his username and password in exchange for my being his personal roadie for 3 months. I'll be out there in a couple of weeks, Mick. Just keep some beer and salami in the fridge and it's all good!

Of all the attempted insights into my psyche...SeniorBlues probably hit it the most spot on. My incessant arguing isn't so much about me needing to be RIGHT, it's about thinking my point isn't getting across. I'm fine with letting go in a debate when somebody responds with something like "I understand what you're saying, but my experience and knowledge is THIS...." It's when people respond in a manner that makes me think they didn't understand what I was saying that I then start to think "if only I express myself better or in more detail...." So if I've learned anything from this thread, it's that I need to figure out that people sometimes just don't express themselves well (they often DO understand what I'm saying, I just don't get that they do) and that for many others---if they don't get something right away, another 20 pages of posting isn't going to change anything.

But the winning answer to the poll is the one I would have chosen myself: let the girls post instead. Unfortunately, when I talked to them about this, they told me that they already spend enough hours every week hanging out with old, ugly, usually bitter musicians and have no further desire to do so.

So y'all are still stuck with me. Hopefully, for all of us, in a bit less quantity though. :D

Carry on.

• Members
So y'all are still stuck with me. Hopefully, for all of us, in a bit less quantity though.
:D

Carry on.

I still like ya. :thu: Maybe I'm one of those people who understands your very first post, so I just think you're redundant... because I understand the first time. :D

As stated, "Carry on." :rawk:

• Members

Of all the attempted insights into my psyche...SeniorBlues probably hit it the most spot on. My incessant arguing isn't so much about me needing to be RIGHT, it's about thinking my point isn't getting across.
I'm fine with letting go in a debate when somebody responds with something like "I understand what you're saying, but my experience and knowledge is THIS...."

I understand what you are saying, but my experience and knowledge is that this has never actually happened on BSWTB

• Members
I still like ya.
:thu:
Maybe I'm one of those people who
understands your very first post, so I just think you're redundant
... because I understand the first time.
:D

As stated, "Carry on."
:rawk:

+1 on this

Although I don't post much I do read alot on this forum. And even though I am currently in a totally different musical situation (worship band music director) I have learned alot from your shared experiences and value most of what you do share.

• Members

Oh...and Potts? I hear you about the purple Kix. I tried hard to talk him into wearing his purple capris for that shoot, but he just wouldn't budge...

Do you know why I don't like you? ;)

Because when I was shopping with the wife the other day and got new shorts ,the first thing I thought was will Guido think that these are capris? I'm not bull{censored}ting either.

• Members

Do you know why I don't like you?
;)

Because when I was shopping with the wife the other day and got new shorts ,the first thing I thought was will Guido think that these are capris? I'm not bull{censored}ting either.

Answer: if you have to question whether they are actually "shorts" or not, they are probably something else.

If you want to wear shorts, wear shorts. If you want to wear long pants, wear long pants. Since it's a drought year, what's the point of the high-waters? ;)

• Members
Do you know why I don't like you?
;)

Your wife was helping you pick out a new pair of male birth control shorts. :)

• Members

I need to figure out that people sometimes just don't express themselves well (they often DO understand what I'm saying, I just don't get that they do)

Why not just take "I understand what you're saying, but ..." as a given? In my short time here, you always seem to me to express your opinions well. I can't see any reason why anyone wouldn't understand what you're saying - not just "often" but pretty much most of the time.

I think it does you credit that you're bothered about how your opinions are received and how you come across. (Wish I could say the same for my mother in law).

• Members

Again, my mother in law. The root of the matter is the assumption that anyone who doesn't agree with you most probably didn't understand you.

Why not just take "
I understand what you're saying, but ..."
as a given? In my short time here, you always seem to me to express your opinions well. I can't see any reason why anyone wouldn't understand what you're saying - not just "often" but pretty much most of the time.

I think it does you credit that you're bothered about how your opinions are received and how you come across. (Wish I could say the same for my mother in law).

Because people bring out the "only" and "doesn't matter" cards that demonstrated a gross misinterpretation of what has just been said. This happens everywhere to everyone. But Guido posts a lot, so he's probably the most frequent victim.

• Members

Why not just take "
I understand what you're saying, but ..."
as a given? In my short time here, you always seem to me to express your opinions well. I can't see any reason why anyone wouldn't understand what you're saying - not just "often" but pretty much most of the time.

As usual, a great post, FranE. I have to agree. In fact, guido's comment could be misconstrued as egotistical. Saying things like "people sometimes just don't express themselves well" is a subjective opinion, but it almost comes across that he believes he is the ONLY one (or one of very few people here) that actually knows how to express himself with words.

Maybe if it was worded more like, "Perhaps I just misunderstand what some people write sometimes, because I feel like they aren't expressing themselves well," it would sound better. Making a statement that people don't (as fact) express themselves well is part of the problem in my eyes. It's the words that are chosen that cause misunderstandings to begin with. Maybe David didn't really feel that way, but that's what he wrote. I wouldn't say that there are a lot of times where people aren't expressing themselves well. And even if that is true, I can usually figure out what they really meant to say, without going into a long discussion about the semantics of what they didn't write and what they SHOULD have written instead, which I think is counter-productive and unnecessary in most cases.

• Members

As usual, a great post, FranE. I have to agree. In fact, guido's comment could be misconstrued as egotistical. Saying things like "people sometimes just don't express themselves well" is a subjective opinion, but it almost comes across that he believes he is the ONLY one (or one of very few people here) that actually knows how to express himself with words.

Then why would I keep trying to express myself BETTER if I thought I knew how to do it so well the first time?

• Members

Perhaps it's your way of trying to speak in 'their' language?

"Hmm, that didn't work...let's write it like this.."

"They're still getting it wrong...I'll write this now..."

It's all in the perspective. I don't think you are an asshole, David. I understand that you just want people to get what you are saying. I think most people want other people to understand what they are talking about. That is effective communication, right? I just think the way you say it may come across in an unintended fashion. I probably do the same for others. Then it's really a case of deciding whether you should go "Oh well, that person didn't get it" or "I'm going to keep going until everyone gets it."

I've been known to irritate people when I keep breaking stuff down all the time in real life. I find certain subjects fascinating, like a scientist discovering a new lifeform or element. I realize that not everyone thinks like this and they get tired of answering questions after a while. This might be similar with you, where the intricacies of the debate of subject itself becomes the focus rather than the more basic form of the subject at hand.

I dunno, I'm just throwing out ideas here. :)

• Members

I've been known to irritate people when I keep breaking stuff down all the time in real life.

my first wife with the psychology degree did that constantly, almost like living with someone holding a clipboard and taking notes, constantly asking more probing questions, breaking it down more and more trying to understand and communicate. I don't miss her.

• Members

Then it's really a case of deciding whether you should go "Oh well, that person didn't get it" or "I'm going to keep going until everyone gets it."

Yes, that's what I said. That's why I said I'm going to try to do less of trying to have people "get it" and just leave it as is. Especially since --- LIKE I SAID --- they probably very often DO get it. It's just my failing that I don't see that.

Now please tell me that you got all that so I don't have to repeat myself. :)

• Members

Yes, that's what I said. That's why I said I'm going to try to do less of trying to have people "get it" and just leave it as is. Especially since --- LIKE I SAID --- they probably very often DO get it. It's just my failing that I don't see that.

Now please tell me that you got all that so I don't have to repeat myself.
:)

I'm sorry, I didn't get that?

;)

• Members

For the record, I believe that I "get it". Let's just not open the discussion what exactly it is that I get (or how often that happens.) :) Mark C.

• Members

O.k, David, you and I have had many vigorous debates around here, and I have enjoyed them all. And having been guilty of some stupid posts and lack of perspective in said debates, I thought that would give me some room to offer an observation or 2. Cuz U know I haz respect.

Your post here is a perfect example of how you ruffle feathers. You expressed this posts ago. Why try to re correlate? It feels argumentative.

See, it is almost ALWAYS about you making YOUR point in correction or clarification of another's idea. It's like you don't really hear what the other person is saying sometimes...like you are not listening....like "Look, this is the correct way to think about this" and you re clarify a point. Someone disagrees with that idea and you RE CLARIFY by arguing details and context. That makes it seem like you didn't hear the other person's point.

Ever been in a high powered meeting? I bet you have. Ever had to make your point, albeit correct and useful, and have it overturned? How do you respond? Certainly not like you do here cuz it would go on forever and you'd make enemies.

And I realize this is not a high powered boardroom...thank gawt...but you see the point? And there are many arguable points in my post here....but do you hear what it is saying? Can you simply understand that said point works to sometimes folks get tore up cuz it just seems like you don't listen and just argue?

And I don't think that the arguing is necessarily bad. It makes some headway into some deeper subjects. You've never made me mad. Maybe a little nauseous. :p;) But there have been a few folks who get/got pretty pissed off at you. Some have gone and won't come back or at the very least, not respond to anything you post. I ain't worried about them tho'. If they can't handle it, sorry. It's just the internetz. But your tendency to not let go can also make folks think you aren't really listening to them.

And of course I'm sure you have felt like people aren't listening to you, right?

So I'm just pointing it out cuz it is relevant to creating good discussions around here, and folks have been getting mad at you lately. I hope you and Lee Knight can make bro hugs and "it's allgood" backslaps together....

• Members
Your post here is a perfect example of how you ruffle feathers. You expressed this posts ago. Why try to re correlate? It feels argumentative.

Pretty spot on from where I sit.

Again, I think Dave-o's full of good info. I like your opinions, man, and I like reading your posts.

I just read the first one only, that's all. :D

• Members

Guido61 is the guy who invented the time machine!

He plays in a successful band with a lot of gigs, takes care of the band's business, hopefully maintains his musician shops and, some how, he finds time to always be incredible active on this board! LOL

Archived