Styx, Foreigner, or...... JumpStart???

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Easy target...

I kid because he frequently rehearses whichever gig is coming up at a place I have close ties with, and I hear the (mostly humorous) inside scoop like about him regularly showing up wearing some vest with no shirt under, etc...always in character.

Jim is a friend...................He's ALWAYS in character.

• Members

Adele and Taylor Swift are both 750K? Wouldn't have guessed that.

Looks like behind them are the Black Eyed Peas, Lady Gaga, Neil Young, Journey, and Keith Urban at 500K.. makes more sense. Kings of Leon are also 500K.. really?

At 400K are John Mayer and Katy Perry, again, understandable.

Snoop Dogg at 75,000, Travie McCoy at 20,000, and Love & Theft at 10,000 seem like pretty good deals, considering.

Skrillex's price is 200K? I'm not one of those people who hates DJs or thinks they aren't talented.. but I look at some of the names making less than him and can't help but think it makes babies cry.

Are people actually paying Faith No More 250K to perform?! In 2012?!

All of that said.. two things worth considering. I think this list has been updated sparingly... and probably only to up a rising star's price, and not often to drop it. The other thing is that this pricing is from an independent agency, not from WMA, Creative, or whoever else... and as such, all of these prices are a bit high. I know for a fact that most of the country artists are priced usually starting at 5K, then 7.5K, then 10K. With a few exceptions, that's the way they price them. Using that as a guideline... it's safe to assume that the 7.5K acts on this site are 5K acts "wholesale".. and that would imply a 50% markup on the artists and bands listed.

Not saying that is the case, but it is a possibility!

• Members

interesting site................Taylor Swift...$750,000!!!!!!! Guessing the overseas arena tours have gone to her head.

facepalm1.jpg

Once you typed "overseas arena tours", you pretty much justified why she's one of the highest paid artists on this list! Besides, all those guest appearances she has at her shows don't come cheap!

• Members

My business partner lives next door to and is very good friends with the guy who's signature is on every bottle of a a particular brand of KY bourbon with a read wax seal top (or at least it was before his family sold the brand to Beam). Back in the last decade - this particular fellow would throw a KY Derby party at his house. In sequential years he highered Little Richard, Charlie Daniels and KC and the Sunshine band. The prices on that website look to be correct - from what I was told about the outlay for those parties.

• Members

My business partner lives next door to and is very good friends with the guy who's signature is on every bottle of a a particular brand of KY bourbon with a read wax seal top ....

I'm an Ambassador. Went there when they tapped the barrel with my name on it. Ended up with a nice buzz and a couple of bottles I dipped myself that Bill signed for me. Had a great trip. Spent that evening in Louisville at a place with the same name as the bourbon, drinking Manhattans.

• Members

I'm an Ambassador. Went there when they tapped the barrel with my name on it. Ended up with a nice buzz and a couple of bottles I dipped myself that Bill signed for me. Had a great trip. Spent that evening in Louisville at a place with the same name as the bourbon, drinking Manhattans.

Supposedly BS is a great guy - I've never had the pleasure. My partner did have him sign a copy of his book for me several years ago. Wonder what I did with it........

He stopped doing the parties several years ago - as it was getting out of control.

• Members

Supposedly BS is a great guy - I've never had the pleasure. My partner did have him sign a copy of his book for me several years ago. Wonder what I did with it........

He stopped doing the parties several years ago - as it was getting out of control.

He was very nice to me. Seemed like a good guy. I do recall getting email invites to the parties. Now it seems the Redheads and Thoroughbreds weekend is the big thing.

• Members

Adele and Taylor Swift are both 750K? Wouldn't have guessed that.

Looks like behind them are the Black Eyed Peas, Lady Gaga, Neil Young, Journey, and Keith Urban at 500K.. makes more sense. Kings of Leon are also 500K.. really?

Assuming those figures are even that believable (who really knows??), I would think a lot of it has to do with how much the artist considers it a pain in the ass to do private event gigs. A band like Kings of Leon may find it so much trouble, for whatever reason, that you gotta pay them a LOT to get them to do it.

And, of course, that's gonna be their top asking price. If you actually want to hire Kings of Leon you might find they are willing to do it for much less.

• Members

Assuming those figures are even that believable (who really knows??), I would think a lot of it has to do with how much the artist considers it a pain in the ass to do private event gigs. A band like Kings of Leon may find it so much trouble, for whatever reason, that you gotta pay them a LOT to get them to do it.

And, of course, that's gonna be their top asking price. If you actually want to hire Kings of Leon you might find they are willing to do it for much less.

Exactly.

For many of those top asking acts, there is a significant undertaking just to get people and gear to the next scheduled gig...and if they're touring, Joe CEO is gong to disrupt a LOT of plans if he wants the act to come to the annual shareholders' function in Flagstaff or wherever...even if it's just a fly-in, and of they aren't touring, they either want to take advantage of the scheduled down time, or have otherwise already been allocated and routed, etc.

I think when you see a bigger name act at comparatively lower rates, that's them effectively saying 'Yes, I want to work more', and when they are priced way higher, they are often doing so because they want to price themselves out of consideration OR they recognize that it's easier to keep on the schedule that's been planned on.

• Members

Exactly.

For many of those top asking acts, there is a significant undertaking just to get people and gear to the next scheduled gig...and if they're touring, Joe CEO is gong to disrupt a LOT of plans if he wants the act to come to the annual shareholders' function in Flagstaff or wherever...even if it's just a fly-in, and of they aren't touring, they either want to take advantage of the scheduled down time, or have otherwise already been allocated and routed, etc.

I think when you see a bigger name act at comparatively lower rates, that's them effectively saying 'Yes, I want to work more', and when they are priced way higher, they are often doing so because they want to price themselves out of consideration OR they recognize that it's easier to keep on the schedule that's been planned on.

Yep. I would think that for the top level acts, doing a casual gig would HAVE to be a huge pain in the ass. Either they've got to disrupt a tour if they're on one, or if they are not, they've got to assemble a band that might be scattered all over, or hire players and rehearse or what not.

• Members
Yep. I would think that for the top level acts, doing a casual gig would HAVE to be a huge pain in the ass. Either they've got to disrupt a tour if they're on one, or if they are not, they've got to assemble a band that might be scattered all over, or hire players and rehearse or what not.

I had this thought, too. I'm sure it's a healthy mix of:

- Value of artist
- Logistics (travel, band availability, schedule)
- Proper show (Metallica for your company is still a Metallica show with full rig)
- Possibly trying to price themselves out; I see this as "well, we'll do it, but as we don't want to, we'll make it so the money makes us want to." :)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Gig update:

We played the gig last night. Very nice setup on a big stage in the clients backyard with a panoramic view of Sacramento and Folsom Lake. Client is an electrical contractor, so the power situtation is great. About 150 guests. Very good catered food from an excellent local Mexican restaurant. Open bar. Got a bit chilly by start time, but not too bad, but we're moving around on stage just to keep warm. Speeches portion of the evening goes on forever. Nice guy. Successful business. Lots of friends. We end up playing only a couple of short sets before the cops come and shut us down. We had learned a couple of extra Styx and Foreigner tunes just for the event but only got around to doing "Juke Box Hero". We decide that since he paid so much and deserved as much of a full show as possible, the drummer and the girls and I take an acoustic guitar inside and give them a 6-7 song set of the best stuff we didn't get around to in a group sing-along fashion. Everyone seemed to really enjoy it and appreciate it.

Worst thing was the load in/out from the guy's driveway to the stage area. Narrow steps down a hill and such.

He tells us that at one point he actually called Journey about playing his party, but they wanted $75K to do it. One of those "I've done very well for myself and I want to the world to know about it" kind of guys, but seems to also be very generous about it with his friends and family. Not exactly my style of doing things, but seems like a good guy nonetheless.

• Members

Sounds like an interesting gig. It's hard to play quiet. You would think he would have alerted the neighborhood, or even maybe invited them.

We play pretty quietly--not much stage volume at all these days---but the way this guy's house was situated on the edge of a cliff, I imagine the sound carried pretty well. But yes---always invite the neighbors when you throw a loud party!

Funny story though---he comes up to us with the check in hand and we're all a bit worried he might try to back out of paying us the full cut since we didn't play the full show (this was before we went in to do the unplugged set) but instead he has a big wide grin on his face and says "if you remember correctly I stated in the contract that I'd pay you $XXXX to play until midnight or until the cops showed up---whichever came first!

• Members

"if you remember correctly I stated in the contract that I'd pay you $XXXX to play until midnight or until the cops showed up---whichever came first!

That's awesome!

I actually put something into my contracts if we are doing an outside house party.

Archived