Gorillas in a cage-playing for the 1%

MartinC

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Agreed. Our conga player handles the kitchen staff-he's usually got coffee before we even get unloaded. He's really outgoing and has no problem chatting up the other vendors. I'm also comfortable talking with people of any background as in my day gig I deal with every type of person/ethnicity there is. But playing music is a retreat for me, and I'd really rather concentrate on the music, and my sound and playing in particular, than to show people who might think we are cretins that in fact, I can discuss politics, finance, current events, or music without, in most cases, embarrassing myself. They don't need to know that I may in fact have a more established position than they do. Why upset the apple cart? That's another reason I like working with agents. Get there, set up, play as well as possible, be nice to everyone, be humble, and GTFO.

In terms of the type of gig, I get to play music I wrote with great musicians of my choice, for top dollar, and pay them equal shares. Considering I'm a complete unknown with mediocre skills, it's a decent trade off.

I've played a few caged gorilla events so when it's upscale I know going in they may want to treat us like the bus help. Maybe S. Florida has a better vibe over all because I have found more gracious rich side of town hosts than pigs with their snouts in the air.

When it comes to valets or door men, the concierge, or whomever I try to be gracious with them too since their butts will get reamed if they don't enforce the rules. I think I would have parked in the lot down the street if asked, especially if there was any chance of being towed. We do a festival event every year where the off duty cops roust us like vagrants and go out of their way to make life difficult at load in. This year they wouldn't let us off load our gear where we were supposed to and made us park so far away that we drove behind the stage to sneak the gear through a hole in the fence. Someone called the cops on us for doing that but we were already clear with our gear on the stage. When they came to question us we were cool and clueless until they walked away.

As for the social class nature of the OP's post I tend to blend in anywhere and know how to find commonality with people who might want to treat me like a servant. I also get friendly with wait staff, caterers, etc as quickly as possible.

I too would bang a garbage can with a stick for decent pay.

• Members

Wow. If I was "managing" that event and you behaved that way, I'd have fired you on the spot.

You took a simple misunderstanding from a obvious low-level employee... chewed him out; spewed your negativity about participating in the event; and threatened to walk out on a contract (I'm assuming?). That's the height of unprofessionalism.

If the the "free drinks, free food, tent from the sun" were all in the contract. Then you have every right to complain (and I've clearly misread your post). If they are things you just "expected" without specfiying in the contract.... then yeah, the dishes get priority. Bring your own tent next time.

Just my observation from the other side of the coin.

You're right. I should have just dropped my pants, bent over and spread my cheeks so that the corporate reaming would have been complete.

• Members

We learned our lesson early on when we played a private party for some super rich people that required us to set up way earlier than show time and we were not fed AT ALL. After that I started handling contracts and the contract got WAY more detailed. I modeled it after the contract I use for the wedding videography I do.- A meal must be provided for the band, the SAME as other vendors. We have NEVER had a problem since. That was the only time I think we were treated badly.

Sometimes employees at the place you are playing don't have a clue what's going on: At a wedding I shot awhile ago for a couple I knew personally, the bartender tried to stop me from having a gin and tonic at the end of the night. He said I was considered an employee of the country club and he wouldn't serve me. I just laughed at him.

I have a slightly different take on these sorts of issues. I don't demand that they feed us ... I ask if the band is invited to eat with the guests. If not ... I tack $200 onto my fee for the event. The drinking thing? Most country clubs have a "no drinking" rule for the band - that's why I tack $200 onto my price to take a country club gig (and rest assured the bar in the van is fully stocked!).

• Members

I've done a bunch of these types of gigs and, like has already been posted, some are great fun and some of them are downright depressing. I especially liked the comment about the enhanced women. I used to have a regular gig at a local country club/resort. I noticed that most of the men were in their late 50's/early 60's while most of their wives were in their 20's and 30's. I'd usually keep a 1:1 ratio of slow to fast songs, but the women kept asking me to play more uptempo stuff. It finally dawned on me that they were trying to wear out their husbands, presumably so they would depart this mortal coil sooner rather than later so that the rich widows would have time to enjoy life. Or maybe I'm just cynical.

• Members

You're right. I should have just dropped my pants, bent over and spread my cheeks so that the corporate reaming would have been complete.

Not sure I see the "corporate reaming" you took. :confused:

1. You were asked to move your vehicle from the parking area assigned for guests. Granted, it was mistakely parked there by the valets. I don't see it being a big deal to move it. Furthermore, I contend you should have known better than to let the valets park your car in the first place.

2. You didn't get free food and drinks. (You're unclear whether this was in your contract.)

3. You didn't get a tent for shade. (You're unclear whether this was in your contract.)

So yeah. I stand by my original post. You're a real rebel for standing up to the "coporations". :facepalm:

• Members

whether it's playing music, installing floor tile, doing yacht repairs, etc, the 1% can be a royal pain in the ass to deal with but I don't look at them with scorn. They are my employer for the gig and I am grateful to be employed. The trendy fixation with hating employers is not healthy.

• Members

whether it's playing music, installing floor tile, doing yacht repairs, etc, the 1% can be a royal pain in the ass to deal with but I don't look at them with scorn. They are my employer for the gig and I am grateful to be employed. The trendy fixation with hating employers is not healthy.

It was that very line of thinking that led us out of servitude to the wealthy business owners and corporations/companies 120 years ago.. Here's an excerpt-

Rise and Fall of American Unions

Unions expanded in late 19th century despite violent conflict

Unions shrank during the Roaring Twenties

Changes to labor laws during the Great Depression led to rapid union growth

Unions fell into decline after 1950s

Unions rose to nationwide prominence in America after the Civil War as employees joined together to have a collective voice in dealing with employers. Employers worked just as hard to slow the growth of unions, making the late nineteenth century a time of fierce and often bloody labor conflict. At first, the government tended to side with the businessmen, frequently using court orders or even federal troops to shut down strikes. By the time World War I rolled around, however, unions won important legal rights and began growing noticeably. In the 1920s, however, organized labor fell into decline as the nation basked in widespread prosperity and unions no longer seemed so necessary.

The Great Depression of the 1930s changed the equation once again, as unions found a friend in President Roosevelt and changes in federal labor laws made it easier for unions to organize most of the large American industries. The proportion of American workers belonging to unions skyrocketed to unprecedented levels.

After World War II, however, many union leaders became complacent and corrupt, and organized labor lost direction. Riding high on postwar prosperity, labor leaders paid little attention to their eroding movement. During the 1970s that erosion began to accelerate and union power entered a decline that has lasted until the present day.

http://www.shmoop.com/history-labor-unions/summary.html

Notice that in our history, every time we have unions, we have prosperity, and when they fall into decline, we have servitude. It's coming near an end of age again, can't come soon enough IMO.

• Members

It was that very line of thinking that led us out of servitude to the wealthy business owners and corporations/companies 120 years ago.. Here's an excerpt-

Rise and Fall of American Unions

Unions expanded in late 19th century despite violent conflict

Unions shrank during the Roaring Twenties

Changes to labor laws during the Great Depression led to rapid union growth

Unions fell into decline after 1950s

Unions rose to nationwide prominence in America after the Civil War as employees joined together to have a collective voice in dealing with employers. Employers worked just as hard to slow the growth of unions, making the late nineteenth century a time of fierce and often bloody labor conflict. At first, the government tended to side with the businessmen, frequently using court orders or even federal troops to shut down strikes. By the time World War I rolled around, however, unions won important legal rights and began growing noticeably. In the 1920s, however, organized labor fell into decline as the nation basked in widespread prosperity and unions no longer seemed so necessary.

The Great Depression of the 1930s changed the equation once again, as unions found a friend in President Roosevelt and changes in federal labor laws made it easier for unions to organize most of the large American industries. The proportion of American workers belonging to unions skyrocketed to unprecedented levels.

After World War II, however, many union leaders became complacent and corrupt, and organized labor lost direction. Riding high on postwar prosperity, labor leaders paid little attention to their eroding movement. During the 1970s that erosion began to accelerate and union power entered a decline that has lasted until the present day.

Notice that in our history, every time we have unions, we have prosperity, and when they fall into decline, we have servitude. It's coming near an end of age again, can't come soon enough IMO.

the presence of labor unions in America was a good balancing influence for decades and probably kept us from a full scale shift to Communism following the Soviets. But the sad truth is labor unions in America have declined for good reason, mostly corruption as stated in your quote. Fix the corruption first then talk to me about saving the workers. I appreciate that you think you have a solution but in today's world you are merely trading one corrupt influence over government with big corporations for another corrupt institution known as organized labor. Why not stick your head above the fray and look for constructive solutions to build a better system?

• Members

I'd usually keep a 1:1 ratio of slow to fast songs, but the women kept asking me to play more uptempo stuff. It finally dawned on me that they were trying to wear out their husbands, presumably so they would depart this mortal coil sooner rather than later so that the rich widows would have time to enjoy life. Or maybe I'm just cynical.

I doubt they were thinking that far ahead....Prolly more like wearing them out so they fall asleep early so they can {censored} the pool boy.

• Members

I'd usually keep a 1:1 ratio of slow to fast songs, but the women kept asking me to play more uptempo stuff. It finally dawned on me that they were trying to wear out their husbands, presumably so they would depart this mortal coil sooner rather than later so that the rich widows would have time to enjoy life. Or maybe I'm just cynical.

I doubt they were thinking that far ahead....Prolly more like wearing them out so they fall asleep early so they can {censored} the pool boy.

• Members

the presence of labor unions in America was a good balancing influence for decades and probably kept us from a full scale shift to Communism following the Soviets. But the sad truth is labor unions in America have declined for good reason, mostly corruption as stated in your quote. Fix the corruption first then talk to me about saving the workers. I appreciate that you think you have a solution but in today's world you are merely trading one corrupt influence over government with big corporations for another corrupt institution known as organized labor. Why not stick your head above the fray and look for constructive solutions to build a better system?

I think it also has a lot to do with outsourcing and factories going up in countries with much looser environmental standards.

They've basically lost their leverage.

• Members

I've done a bunch of these types of gigs and, like has already been posted, some are great fun and some of them are downright depressing. I especially liked the comment about the enhanced women. I used to have a regular gig at a local country club/resort. I noticed that most of the men were in their late 50's/early 60's while most of their wives were in their 20's and 30's. I'd usually keep a 1:1 ratio of slow to fast songs, but the women kept asking me to play more uptempo stuff. It finally dawned on me that they were trying to wear out their husbands, presumably so they would depart this mortal coil sooner rather than later so that the rich widows would have time to enjoy life. Or maybe I'm just cynical.

You are close actually. A bassist I know actually asks these type of questions to the female dancers and their response is that slow songs are bad because it gives a chance for some creeper to get close to them. They in no circumstances want that. They just want to dance and have fun (and keep a distance from the creeps).

Now I know these people in your example were married to the creepers, but I have a feeling it still applies. ;)

• Members

read the quote again, unions are mostly dead- again. With each new renewal fresh life breathes into the workforce- better wages, regulations, etc. We're long overdue for a new arrival, and history shows that it's all cyclic. When we are furthest from unions we suffer corruption from companies and government, which is today at about the same levels as the worst parts of our history. I can't say there is a solution outside of this cycle, as everything that has power tends to corrupt over time- not just unions, businesses and governments, but everything- 2000+ years of human history shows exactly that. We've changed little, so why not embrace the cycle and change that it deems next? I'd rather not stick with the status quo today, as it's killing us, and our planet. Maybe our eventual demise will be the final solution, either by war, or when the planet goes completely goofy from GW.

• Members

You are close actually. A bassist I know actually asks these type of questions to the female dancers and their response is that slow songs are bad because it gives a chance for some creeper to get close to them. They in no circumstances want that. They just want to dance and have fun (and keep a distance from the creeps).

Now I know these people in your example were married to the creepers, but I have a feeling it still applies.
;)

that's a very interesting POV, I never thought of it that way.. hmm it does make a lot of sense though. We've found that slow songs are increasingly clearing the dance floor and we are down to doing almost none now.. never really thought about why

• Members
read the quote again, unions are mostly dead- again. With each new renewal fresh life breathes into the workforce- better wages, regulations, etc. We're long overdue for a new arrival, and history shows that it's all cyclic. When we are furthest from unions we suffer corruption from companies and government, which is today at about the same levels as the worst parts of our history. I can't say there is a solution outside of this cycle, as everything that has power tends to corrupt over time- not just unions, businesses and governments, but everything- 2000+ years of human history shows exactly that. We've changed little, so why not embrace the cycle and change that it deems next? I'd rather not stick with the status quo today, as it's killing us, and our planet. Maybe our eventual demise will be the final solution, either by war, or when the planet goes completely goofy from GW.

Leaving a failed status quo for a corrupt failed solution makes no sense. I did read the quote and you own the union endorsement with "every time we have unions, we have prosperity." What you have now in America is jobs fleeing our labor force. I could live with stronger unions if we had massive union reform legislation first. We might also need to return to protectionism and tariffs. I'm ok with some protectionism but the average politician who is being handsomely paid off by overseas interests is not.

• Members

I found this exact moment this thread derailed, by the way. Just making note of it now so when we're on 9 pages and Actionsquid has to close it, I can say I called it in advance.
:thu:

I think I know where you're thinking as well.

I'm still scratching my head on anybody being under the misconception that hating on employers is in any way 'trendy', though...

Yeah, sure.

That's a NEW thing all the hip kids do, and it's never been the case before that the proles have resented or otherwise found issue with the bourgeosie...

If, of course, by 'never' you actually mean 'pretty much always' throughout recorded history.

• Members

I think I know where you're thinking as well.

I'm still scratching my head on anybody being under the misconception that hating on employers is in any way 'trendy', though...

Yeah, sure.

That's a
NEW
thing all the hip kids do, and it's
never
been the case before that the proles have resented or otherwise found issue with the bourgeosie...

If, of course, by
'never'
you actually mean
'pretty much always'
throughout recorded history.

there is a lot of cool factor to blaming the 1% right now. If you want to talk to me talk to me.

Archived