My minivan died. Any suggestions for a reliable new or used one?

tim_7string

• Members

I've owned a 99 Chrysler T&C, an 01 Chevy Venture, and an 02 Honda Odyssey, and there is no comparison. It's not even close...the Honda killed both of the other two. Better engine, more reliable, drives better, ergonomically superior. I drive a Toyota RAV4 right now and it fits a bunch of stuff, but I definitely miss my Odyssey as a hauler. The only reason I got rid of it was I was downsizing a few years ago and had a Toyota Matrix, which was nice but a little small. Then my wife convinced me to get the RAV4 because we couldn't afford a Sienna. It's okay gas mileage (22.3 or so according to my "Average fuel mileage" gauge), better than I was getting with the Odyssey.

I think for your purposes you should definitely consider either the Sienna or Odyssey, though the Transit is an intriguing option. I can't imagine that being my daily driver, though... I love the idea of the Mazda5, but I don't know if it's big enough for your needs. That's what I really wanted when I ended up with the RAV4 (our buddy sells Toyotas and hooked us up, otherwise I'd have the Mazda...)

Good luck, man!

Brian V.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a VW Eurovan and I honestly consider it one of my favorite vehicles I have ever owned. That said, i initially had to throw some money at it to get the front end fixed. I had it in the shop a few times and they weren't really fixing it - until I really broke it :) I took it to another guy and he replaced the driveshafts and it's been really cool ever since. It is a 1999, I think.

It is really tall inside and seats 7 big people pretty easily. The middle seat comes out easily, but the rear one is bolted in. I hear the transmissions go kerblooey pretty easily.

Don't buy one. But I love mine :lol:

• Members

In the 90's, when AWD and SUV's came into fashion I asked a tow truck driver if it cut into his business, he replied "No, it just meant that I had to buy a longer chain." From what I see in the ditch during storms, the majority are AWD. With FWD in a skid you point the wheels in the direction that you wish to go and give a bit of gas. With AWD, put it in neutral and steer your way out. If you try to accelerate with four driven wheels that are pointing in different directions on a slippery surface, where you wind up is anyone's guess.

Well its not like they are pointed in 4 different directions plus the possibility of finding yourself skidding about is greatly reduced by having more traction.

Im just saying that in my experience traction is great and the more the better. In fact i would even say that i would rather have a RWD than a FWD in snow mostly because if you lose traction in FWD by accelerating on ice or whatever not only have you lost the ability to move forward but youve also lost the ability to steer. If you put enough weight over the drive wheels, something that many people with RWD forget about, a RWD can be great.

Having said that i own 2 vehicles, both 4wd.

• Members

first thing I thought of. If not, How about adding the Honda Element or similar Scion to the mix?

From what I know of the boxy Scion model...stay far away. Smaller inside than you might think, and no power in the engine. Have friends who got rid of theirs after 6 months.

Now the Element on the other hand...

We had one, turned the lease over, paid it off, sold it a couple years ago and got a brand new one to replace it...two tpyears on that one now.

BEST

GIG

GEAR

VEHICLE

EVER

...for me/my situation, of course.

More room inside than you likely think with the two rear seats removed. I fit a full 5 piece kit, and a fair deal more in mine with both seats in/upright and a child's safety seat in it. With both seats out, I can fit all back line for a 4 piece band plus a passenger.

Decent mileage.

EASY to park in tight places where most cars can't fit. GREAT vehicle in a city setting.

all that being said, I wouldn't recommend to the OP.

They are underpowered and only 4 cylinder vehicles.

Not strong enough to tow, either.

I live in a major city, and the car is great in that setting. Where the OP is...I'd be far less inclined to recommend.

• Members

No argument there, as I said a few posts back, steep slippery hills too.

rear wheel drive kinda sucks compared to fwd. Load in the band gear and rwd handles the snow. I lived in the snow belt of MI pretty well my whole life. Lots of snow, freezing rain, slush, slop and everything in between. I play keys so I need 5 feet of flat back end in a vehicle to haul my 88 stage. 4x4 is indeed sweet in the ice and snow.. but I didnt get a 4x4 till 97.. started driving in 68. Back in the day my gig buggy was a 68 bonnieville station wagon , 383 2 barrel with an automatic. took on some major winter storms with that old pig wagon.

• Members

I'm a big fan of the Caravans.

I've got an '89 with the 3.0 V6. I'm just now considering selling it for a different vehicle since it's approaching 400k. (Yes, four-hundred-thousand miles)

I'm looking into a pickup truck to suit my current needs, but if you're looking for a minivan, I think you should go for a caravan/voyager.

• Members

Well its not like they are pointed in 4 different directions plus the possibility of finding yourself skidding about is greatly reduced by having more traction.

Im just saying that in my experience traction is great and the more the better. In fact i would even say that i would rather have a RWD than a FWD in snow mostly because if you lose traction in FWD by accelerating on ice or whatever not only have you lost the ability to move forward but youve also lost the ability to
steer
. If you put enough weight over the drive wheels, something that many people with RWD forget about, a RWD can be great.

I dunno about RWD. I haven't seen anyone send their kid out to bounce up and down on the rear bumper so the car can get up a hill since I was a kid sent out to bounce up and down on the rear bumper so the car could getup the hill.

• Members

Im just saying that in my experience traction is great and the more the better. In fact i would even say that i would rather have a RWD than a FWD in snow mostly because if you lose traction in FWD by accelerating on ice or whatever not only have you lost the ability to move forward but youve also lost the ability to
steer
. If you put enough weight over the drive wheels, something that many people with RWD forget about, a RWD can be great.

Actually FWD is way better than RWD since the engine is right over the drive wheels. You have to master the technique with FWD of when things get crazy to be willing to point the wheels in the direction you want to go and then hit the gas. Its totally un natural for RWD experienced drivers. The old toronados were really great in the snow ,, heavy car with a heavy V8 and front wheel drive. With pickups we just used to load the bed up with firewood in the winter or sand bags.

• Members

my RWD full sized Econoline barely moves on snow when empty. But with 2000lbs of gear in the back it stays planted well and really goes thru snow! Much more than a typical FWD car.

yup wt over the drive wheels is the secret. For a passenger car you use to drive to work ,,, fwd rocks on ice and snow. Load up a pickup or van , and they go through snow. You still have to be able to drive well on ice and snow. Where I grew up,, you started driving on that crap as soon as you got your beginners permit, and by the time you had your regular lic ,, you knew how to handle our winters.

• Members

but if you have to plow thru a fair amount of snow an AWD or 4WD will certainly go thru much deeper stuff than just FWD.

Very true, But if I see a vehicle upside down in the median, it's sure to have 4WD. Happens out here every major snow storm, but the first is the worst.

• Members

Very true, But if I see a vehicle upside down in the median, it's sure to have 4WD. Happens out here every major snow storm, but the first is the worst.

They go great ,, but they dont stop any better than anything else. The will climb a big snow bank rather than just ditch themselves. some people dont know how to drive in the winter. Oh well.

• Members

my RWD full sized Econoline barely moves on snow when empty. But with 2000lbs of gear in the back it stays planted well and really goes thru snow! Much more than a typical FWD car.

True, both my work vans are econolines. One reason why people like FWD is because the engine, which is usually the heaviest thing in the car, is right over the drive axle. Weight over the drive axle is key for extra traction.

They arent rollover proof and sadly people become overconfidant. Also lots of people think that you dont need great tires for 4wd as the 4wd is somehow magical, these people are wrong.

• Members

Thanks for all the replies. After doing a lot of research over the past few days, I decided to go with a 2006 Honda Odyssey minivan. I got most of the paperwork done on Saturday and on Monday, I will have it! I'll let you know what I think of it after I drive it for a while and use it on the gig this coming Saturday. :)

• Members

I always see morons with AWD in the median during ice/snow storms. The problem isn't the vehicle, it's with the people that think they can still drive 75+mph in those conditions. Combined with the isolation from the feel of the road in newer vehicles, the false sense of confidence these idiots get from driving an SUV is a recipe for disaster.

• Members

Thanks for all the replies. After doing a lot of research over the past few days, I decided to go with a 2006 Honda Odyssey minivan. I got most of the paperwork done on Saturday and on Monday, I will have it! I'll let you know what I think of it after I drive it for a while and use it on the gig this coming Saturday.
:)

I'll honestly be shocked if you don't like it, Tim...they're really great.

Brian V.

• Members

I always see morons with AWD in the median during ice/snow storms. The problem isn't the vehicle, it's with the people that think they can still drive 75+mph in those conditions. Combined with the isolation from the feel of the road in newer vehicles, the false sense of confidence these idiots get from driving an SUV is a recipe for disaster.

Na being a crappy driver is a recipe for disaster. Some people know how to drive and others dont. its not the SUV's fault.

• Members

Na being a crappy driver is a recipe for disaster. Some people know how to drive and others dont. its not the SUV's fault.

Almost all new vehicles are like that, not just SUVs. I agree entirely that it's the driver. Fortunately, my FJ can climb over any wreck in my way, no matter the conditions.

Archived