My minivan died. Any suggestions for a reliable new or used one?

tim_7string

• Members

As the title says. It's just time to put her down. Too many issues are piling up with it.

So...does anyone have advice on one I should be looking for (or just as importantly, ones I should avoid)? I was looking at a Pontiac Montana a couple of years ago. Some people have said they are great, while others have problems with them. I suppose that could be said of any vehicle.

Anyway, suggestions are welcome. :cool:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As the title says. It's just time to put her down. Too many issues are piling up with it.

So...does anyone have advice on one I should be looking for (or just as importantly, ones I should avoid)? I was looking at a Pontiac Montana a couple of years ago. Some people have said they are great, while others have problems with them. I suppose that could be said of any vehicle.

Anyway, suggestions are welcome.
:cool:

Whats your price range? What do you have to haul? How secure does the stuff in the back have to be? It is going to be your daily driver too? I feel your pain. My old S10 blazer 98 is getting a little long in the tooth too. I have been asking myself the same question ,, what would I replace it with if it should kick the bucket.

• Members

Price range is negotiable. I need something very reliable, so if I have to go the brand new route with financing, I will do that.

Hauling a YAMAHA pa system (Club V series 115 tops, 118 subs, 32 channel mixer, power amps (in 2-space rack cases), 4 space rack case, cord bags, amplifier, guitars, LED lights, two small Par 38 cans.

As secure as possible, preferably a darkened/tinted back window. Also preferably a hatchback that is low to the ground for ease of loading/unloading.

And yes, it will be my only vehicle. Not in the budget to have a city car and a separate music-only vehicle at the moment.

• Members

Price range is negotiable. I need something very reliable, so if I have to go the brand new route with financing, I will do that.

Hauling a YAMAHA pa system (Club V series 115 tops, 118 subs, 32 channel mixer, power amps (in 2-space rack cases), 4 space rack case, cord bags, amplifier, guitars, LED lights, two small Par 38 cans.

As secure as possible, preferably a darkened/tinted back window. Also preferably a hatchback that is low to the ground for ease of loading/unloading.

And yes, it will be my only vehicle. Not in the budget to have a city car and a separate music-only vehicle at the moment.

Having the option of going new is a plus. I think you may want to find a solid later model used truck just due to the fact that its a shame to beat the hell out of a new truck hauling gear. I know you are in a cold climate so the pickup and cap route might be unwise. I think you are in a situation where its a mini van vs a full sized van... whats your bottom line on gas milage? can you afford to guzzle a little to get the heated cubic feet of cargo that a full sized van offers?

• Members

I just bought a 2010 Chrysler Town & Country last month. The '94 GMC Safari cargo van I've had for 12 years was in seriously bad shape and overdue for the grave with 217K miles and more problems than space to list here.

I started looking the day after my old house finally sold. I would have preferred to get a smaller vehicle like the Ford Escape but I quickly realized that just wouldn't have enough space for what I need to haul. It turns out that mini vans have become a much more rare breed, in fact, Chrysler is the only American company still making them unless you want to go to an import which I have never done.

The reviews on this model aren't particularly stellar but I found one that fit my budget (the profit from my house sale covered most of it), drives nice and has stow & go seating to maximize hauling space. All but the front windows are nicely tinted and nearly impossible to see into. Mine is an LX model, less fancy than the Limited model but suits me just fine. It's a real dream compared to what I was driving! According to the review try to avoid the 3.3 liter. There's no significant fuel savings and the 3.8L and bigger perform better.

• Members

When I was minivan shopping I was looking at Chrysler, Honda, and Toyota. The Chrysler experience for the test drive was hilariously bad, first one fired up on three cylinders and belched black smoke. Walking toward the second the salesman said "Don't look at the mirror". I looked at the mirror, the body colored cowling had fallen off. These were new vehicles, so I left. At Honda you have to go up a couple of trim levels to get the auto 6 speed.

The Toyota Sienna comes in a base version with AC, cruise, and a decent stereo, 6 speed auto, and no center console (which allows me into the back without stepping outside). The V6 (you can get a 4) was a stand alone option for a grand, so I took it. I've driven three Camrys over 200k miles, so the Toyota reliability has been proven to me. Also, it was the first new design since the unintended acceleration scam of a few years back, it has tire pressure warning, stability control, ABS, traction control, and airbags everywhere, even for my knees. The service intervals are super long (I run mine on synthetic), and it has way more than enough passing power, even loaded.

• Members

I've had great luck with my Nissan Quest. 215,000 miles on it and no major breakdowns. I did have an electrical issue a few years back that set me back a few hundred though.

Toyota Sienna is Consumer Reports top rated used van across all price categories - mainly because of it's high reliability. The top rated new vans (in order): Honda Odyssey, Nissan Quest, Toyota Sienna.

Avoid older Kia Sedonas which are very cheap used. Highly unreliable - both in Consumer Reports and from the experience of a friend of mine who had one for awhile until he finally dumped it. The new ones are supposedly a little better.

You might be able to fit your gear in a Mazda 5 microvan. You don't have a heck of a lot. That would definitely make everyday driving a little more fun.

• Members

When my old conversion van gave it up last fall I got a used Dodge Grand Caravan. It has tinted back windows, power side doors on both sides, and the stow and go seating, so the bottom of the van is pretty much flat from the front seats to the rear door. It holds more gear than the conversion van did. I haul 2 subs, 2 tops, various cases and racks and all of my keyboard gear with minimal stacking of things on top of something else. It's not without it's flaws but it gets the job done. 20mpg and decent pickup for getting on the highway too.

• Members

If you're thinking about going the new route - I'd look long and hard at the Ford Transit. They've got a max carrying capacity of 1600 lbs (3/4 ton), mileage estimated at 21 MPG City - 27 MPG Highway. It can be ordered with a safety "bulkhead" that seperates the cargo compartment from the cockpit area. As a gear hauler it looks perfect! ... and at roughly $22K ... it's not stoopid expensive.

I'm driving a Ford E150 Cargo van as my gear hauler/daily driver. It's a white box on wheels that my kids have affectionately nicknamed the "molester van" (because according to the movies and most newscasts it's always a white van that they're looking for ...) - that and the fact that my hockey buddies are always scrawling "Free Candy" in the dirt and grime on the sides. The mileage ain't great (I average between 15 - 16 MPG). However, it moves EVERYTHING I need (my keys rig, the PA and the lights) - comfortably and most importantly - safely! If I had to replace it - a Transit is what I'd be driving next.

Don't automatically dismiss the "safety bulkhead". Sure it looks a little strange to have that when you're in "daily driver" mode ... but make one full on "emergency" stop without it and feeling the resulting surge of gear against your seat back will make you realize that you while you might survive the crash - that piano up your ass will still kill you dead!

• Members

I just bought a 2010 Chrysler Town & Country last month. The '94 GMC Safari cargo van I've had for 12 years was in seriously bad shape and overdue for the grave with 217K miles and more problems than space to list here.

I started looking the day after my old house finally sold. I would have preferred to get a smaller vehicle like the Ford Escape but I quickly realized that just wouldn't have enough space for what I need to haul. It turns out that mini vans have become a much more rare breed, in fact, Chrysler is the only American company still making them unless you want to go to an import which I have never done.

The reviews on this model aren't particularly stellar but I found one that fit my budget (the profit from my house sale covered most of it), drives nice and has stow & go seating to maximize hauling space. All but the front windows are nicely tinted and nearly impossible to see into. Mine is an LX model, less fancy than the Limited model but suits me just fine. It's a real dream compared to what I was driving! According to the
try to avoid the 3.3 liter. There's no significant fuel savings and the 3.8L and bigger perform better.

Ha! I guess I should have listed what I had. It was a 1994 Chrysler Town and Country. It was probably a pretty sweet ride when it was new. I definitely enjoyed the space for equipment. The removable back seat was a blessing.

• Members

When my old conversion van gave it up last fall I got a used Dodge Grand Caravan. It has tinted back windows, power side doors on both sides, and the stow and go seating, so the bottom of the van is pretty much flat from the front seats to the rear door. It holds more gear than the conversion van did. I haul 2 subs, 2 tops, various cases and racks and all of my keyboard gear with minimal stacking of things on top of something else. It's not without it's flaws but it gets the job done. 20mpg and decent pickup for getting on the highway too.

The Chrysler Town and Country is basically the same thing as the Dodge Grand Caravan. However, I noticed the more recent Grand Caravans were on Consumer Reports' "5 Minivans To Avoid" list, so I'm a bit wary of going through the same thing I'm going through now. What year is yours?

• Members

If you're thinking about going the
new
route - I'd look long and hard at the Ford Transit. They've got a max carrying capacity of 1600 lbs (3/4 ton), mileage estimated at 21 MPG City - 27 MPG Highway. It can be ordered with a safety "bulkhead" that seperates the cargo compartment from the cockpit area. As a gear hauler it looks perfect! ... and at roughly $22K ... it's not stoopid expensive.

That's actually a pretty good suggestion. I like the idea of the safety bulkhead. Thanks, SpaceNorman!

• Members

I like the idea of the safety bulkhead.

The safety bulkhead was the absolute last thing on my mind when I was looking to replace the leased Windstar mini-van I used to drive. I knew when I left the house to go shopping that I was going to have to move up to a "full size" van to carry the weight safely - and figured I'd simply buy a simple passenger van. However, while wandering the local dealer lot - I happened to spot row of white, windowless cargo vans at the rear of the lot - and asked the sales guy - "How much?". Well ... turns out, they were significantly less than the cheapest "no frills" passenger van with windows and seats. The price piqued my interest - so I asked to take a closer look at one. Mine came with the bulkhead as well as metal parts bins along the side walls. I walked around it a few times ... and found myself thinking "It ain't what I thought I wanted ... but damn, it's perfect for what I plan to use it for!" So I bought it and drove it home. I yanked the parts bins out when I got home (they made a nice addition to the storage situation in my gargae ...) and simply left the safety bulkhead in place. My wife thought I was absoluetly crazy for selecting the vehicle I did ... but, aside from the mileage associated with driving a "full size" van - this thing has been great! It schlepps gear like a banshee ... it's easy load and pack - and carries it safely. It's always coming in handy for moving "non-band" stuff as well - and has really saved alot of wear and tear on the interior of my wife's vehicle since we never bother trying to move anything that's misshapen, large and/or "dirty" in the car like we would try on occassion if the the "molester van" wasn't available.

• Members

Anyway, suggestions are welcome.
:cool:

You are up in the tundra, ever considered 4 WD? Unsure if fuel economy is in your scope. Just a thought.

• Members

You are up in the tundra, ever considered 4 WD? Unsure if fuel economy is in your scope. Just a thought.

Fuel economy is definitely a factor. I drive a good amount during the week for my day job, teaching guitar, and gigs on weekends, not to mention occasional visits to family out-of-town. As for 4WD, I'm a pretty careful driver so I don't think I need it, but not only that, it has to be an automatic transmission because my wife can't drive manual and she sometimes needs the vehicle.

• Members

I'm in Quebec, and I've only ever driven FWD. AWD can be handy for steep driveways, but on the whole, give you a bit of a false sense of security as they accelerate well no matter the conditions. People forget that the number of braked wheels is the same with FWD or AWD. Recovering AWD in a sideways skid can be an adventure compared to FWD.

• Members

I have owned both a 96 GMC Safari (sold it with over 200,000 miles on it and the guy drove it for another 2 years without major issues) and now a 2002 Chev Astro -both with AWD. I am pretty positive that I came back from at least 5 winter gigs that I never would have gotten through without the AWD. I have no false sense of security with the vehicle - I know and respect it's limits and it has gotten me through some major white crap past other vehicles in ditches. MPG is around 18 highway (not the best but it is decent for an AWD), and without the seats in I can lay a 4x8 sheet of plywood on the floor for easier loading - or for those trips to the lumber yard for projects. They don't make them anymore but there are some good used ones to be had in the 2003-04 range - at least in my area. Something else to maybe take a look at...

• Members

The Chrysler Town and Country is basically the same thing as the Dodge Grand Caravan. However, I noticed the more recent Grand Caravans were on Consumer Reports' "5 Minivans To Avoid" list, so I'm a bit wary of going through the same thing I'm going through now. What year is yours?

Mine is an 07

• Members

Toyota's Sienna is built in the USA. The engine and transmission come from outside, but the bodywork and final assembly is in Kentucky. (Might have the State wrong as they moved production after I bought my in 1999.) The back seat folds into the floor and the middle seats are removable. It's a lot of space and mine is finally giving me some problems at 230,000 miles. i'm changing out the fuel injectors this weekend and hopefully all will be fine for the next 70,000+ miles. I really haven't had many problems at all. I did change out the alternator. ($80 used I think.) Batteries, shocks, struts, tires, timing belts and one radiator this year. Been easy to live with. I do wish that I got better fuel mileage. I get 20 mpg in the city and 23 on the highway. I do most of my own work. It's been paid off for so long that I don't remember making car payments anymore. (Also it's one of the safer vehicles on the road.) You can get them in AWD now but there is a cost in reduced fuel mileage. They can also tow up to 3500 lbs. And I would bet that you can paint the back windows black. (Or at least dark enough that people can't tell what's in it.) Mine back windows are darkened from the factory. And it is difficult to tell what's in the back.

• Members

I'm in Quebec, and I've only ever driven FWD. AWD can be handy for steep driveways, but on the whole, give you a bit of a false sense of security as they accelerate well no matter the conditions. People forget that the number of braked wheels is the same with FWD or AWD. Recovering AWD in a sideways skid can be an adventure compared to FWD.

I live in snow country and disagree with pretty much all this. Sure AWD or 4wd has better traction but its not a "false" sense of security here, its an actual hey-have-me-some-traction-and-feel-as-if-im-not-gonna-skitter-off-the-road sense of security. And honestly any sort sideways skid is an adventure but at least with AWD you have the possibility of traction on all wheels.

To the OP: im a fan of the older Ford Aerostar and the bigger ones are on the very big side of a "mini"van.

• Members

I live in snow country and disagree with pretty much all this. Sure AWD or 4wd has better traction but its not a "false" sense of security here, its an actual hey-have-me-some-traction-and-feel-as-if-im-not-gonna-skitter-off-the-road sense of security. And honestly any sort sideways skid is an adventure but at least with AWD you have the possibility of traction on all wheels.

To the OP: im a fan of the older Ford Aerostar and the bigger ones are on the very big side of a "mini"van.

In the 90's, when AWD and SUV's came into fashion I asked a tow truck driver if it cut into his business, he replied "No, it just meant that I had to buy a longer chain." From what I see in the ditch during storms, the majority are AWD. With FWD in a skid you point the wheels in the direction that you wish to go and give a bit of gas. With AWD, put it in neutral and steer your way out. If you try to accelerate with four driven wheels that are pointing in different directions on a slippery surface, where you wind up is anyone's guess.

• Members
In the 90's, when AWD and SUV's came into fashion I asked a tow truck driver if it cut into his business, he replied "No, it just meant that I had to buy a longer chain." From what I see in the ditch during storms, the majority are AWD. With FWD in a skid you point the wheels in the direction that you wish to go and give a bit of gas. With AWD, put it in neutral and steer your way out. If you try to accelerate with four driven wheels that are pointing in different directions on a slippery surface, where you wind up is anyone's guess.

but if you have to plow thru a fair amount of snow an AWD or 4WD will certainly go thru much deeper stuff than just FWD.

Archived