Should we create a sub-forum specific to original bands?

BATCAT

• Members

I don't really see the difference having been in both kinds of "local" bands. Played some of the same venues in both. IMO the business, management and music issues are all really the same at this level.

What's different IMO is am I a "local band" (on type of problem) or something bigger or with bigger aspirations (different problems).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Count me as a supporter as well. Here's hoping that Squid can pull the right strings to get it approved by the HC powers that be.

Obviously, I'm not excited about posting in the "originals" forum (what would be the point? Input from covers guys like me would defeat the purpose right?)

I am looking forward to lurking there a little bit ... if for any reason, just to see what sort of super secret, completely over us "covers guys" head sorts of insights the enlightened "originals" guys will be sharing in the forum they'll call their own - that couldn't have been posted in BSWTB.

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman

View Post

I am looking forward to lurking there a little bit ... if for any reason, just to see what sort of super secret, completely over us "covers guys" head sorts of insights the enlightened "originals" guys will be sharing in the forum they'll call their own - that couldn't have been posted in BSWTB.

I dont really see it as a matter of anything being beyond the comprehension of guys in cover bands or somehow "super secret". But there is content here that is pretty specific to being an original band... Stuff like songwriting, demoing songs, online distribution of music, the logistics of multiple band bills, touring, album art and packaging, yadda yadda. Not to mention booking and getting paid working somewhat differently. Is it really weird to you that original band guys might want a place where these sort of topics are grouped together?

• Members

While I"m not 100% against it I think it could slow things down considerably. Another suggest may be the option of a "My band" sort of thing next to peoples av's so they could state "covers" "originals" or "both". In a perfect world people would think after reading others posts and realize that there is more than one kind of band in the world and situations do differ.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Actionsquid

View Post

I dont really see it as a matter of anything being beyond the comprehension of guys in cover bands or somehow "super secret". But there is content here that is pretty specific to being an original band... Stuff like songwriting, demoing songs, online distribution of music, the logistics of multiple band bills, touring, album art and packaging, yadda yadda. Not to mention booking and getting paid working somewhat differently. Is it really weird to you that original band guys might want a place where these sort of topics are grouped together?

Nope not weird in the least. What does strike me as a bit strange is that we're talking about creating new forums for this on BSWTB - when topics like these RARELY if ever pop up on this forum. A review of Sventvkg's (the OP who's proposed the new forum) certainly haven't been focused on the topics you've mentioned. Other than a couple of threads started regarding his own recordings - there's been little mention of songwriting in his posts at all.

My turn for a question - do you really think topics like demoing songs, logistics of multiple band bills, touring, and packaging - are SOLELY of interest to "originals" guys? With the exception of songwriting, online distribution of music and album art ... these topics ARE very much of interest to cover band guys. Threads covering how to demo songs, logistics of all sorts, band travel, packaging (band identity, advertising, etc.) - have been topics of discussion here on numerous occasions.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Potts

View Post

I voted no...why in Gods name would we need another forum? There's like three threads a day started here as it is.

I also voted no, for the same reason. I'm not sure the member base exists to support it. But I'm not really opposed, I just don't think it's needed.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SLScott86

View Post

I also voted no, for the same reason. I'm not sure the member base exists to support it. But I'm not really opposed, I just don't think it's needed.

Agree..its not like it will change my life in any way whatsoever if they create one.

• Members

I voted yes.

An original band has 4 phases in any project: Pre production, production, post production, then promotion and performance. Cover bands pretty much just focus on performance and all that that entails (set lists, hustling gigs, etc).

Doesn't make one any better, it is just that original stuff has other things to discuss. And if you keep it combined in one forum, one will eventually drive out the other. This forum has been cover based since I've been here, but as Blue Strat and others have said, it has not always been that way.

And as for the 'career minded' thing, I agree with Squid, just too many headaches. The pros and the part timers can all learn from each other.

Will BTSWB thin out? Nah...most everyone here is in a cover thing. As long as I'm doing both, I'll frequent both.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TIMKEYS

View Post

I would not call myself a hater since the band I play in does a boat load of original stuff. I cast that vote due to the many things that are alike in an original band that I dont think they really need a separate arena. Even a guy like sev is going to end up with cover guys if he needs a backing band. He is also gonna hve to feed them to keep then on board, so an occasional mixed gig of covers and original stuff is the best way to do that. About the only real difference is you cant be a total mercinary with a band that has original stuff. You will turn gigs to get in to the get your ticket punched venues and on stages on the bill with certain acts to build cred. Typiclly the first slots of that kind are going to be way down the pay scale if any at all. The bandleader might be lucky just to pay his guys. does that flush? You still have to work your way up as a band.

I don't want to talk about original bands and running the band etc etc..In my world if you are at the level where you have a backing band, you have a band leader that handles all that bull{censored}, rehearses the band etc...I want to talk with like minded, individuals with similar goals, about the trials and tribulations of navigating the business which encompasses a plethora of different subjects. From pub deals, licensing, recording, demos, meetings, labels, demo recording, co-writing, playing rounds, industry showcases, industry events, organizations NSAI, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, industry forcasting, contracts to touring expenses, roylaties, gear and live rigs, hiring and dealing with backing musicians, studios, studio musicians, etc etc..A Pro forum....Maybe Music Pro Forum is what it should be called...

This forum would not have flame fests and idiotic ego bash-fests about music stands, backing tracks, and wearing shorts on the gig. wave.gifeek.gif Also, this forum is not for part timers or amateurs to sound off in..It's for people who are currently doing it in a professional manner and that DOES NOT MEAN THEY HAVE TO HAVE HITS. They just have to be in the game full time, working toward a career.

• Members

That ain't it.

People here must smoke more dope than I do... Your forum is right here (The Music Biz) with about 12 threads in it...Go take it over because if you start a new original forum it'll end up just like that one. Here's the topics over there. It sure does sound like an original forum to me.

Copyrights

CD replication

Logos

Indie Labels

Producers

Web Site solutions

Promo Ideas

TV and Film

• Members

That ain't it.

Your forum is right here (The Music Biz) with about 12 threads in it...Go take it over because if you start a new original forum it'll end up just like that one. Here's the topics over there. It sure does sound like an original forum to me.

Copyrights

CD replication

Logos

Indie Labels

Producers

Web Site solutions

Promo Ideas

TV and Film

• Members
Really Sven...WTF dude? Why don't you just create, post, edit, moderate and police this new forum yourself?

I might consider taking it over and moderating it if offered. But the thing is, I believe the types of discourse I want to have would have to be populated with like minded folks on the same page as me and the kinds of hobbyist amateur rhetoric that seems to come out on this forum by the weekenders WILL turn the very people that I'd like to attract off. So, we'll see....I'm still turning it around in my head whether I want to start a boots on the ground podcast and a forum associated with it for pro's idiotically trying to make something happen in this insane business. Some like me, on the journey, some very successful. Might be cool..Might be dumb pipedream idea. Maybe we'll all rant at NSAI meetings, songwriter rounds and co-writes :)

• Members

I see it splitting the forum to the point that you will have two forums with little traffic. When that happens, people will stop posting in one or both (music biz..) because of low traffic. hey, maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like BWTB died off quite a bit after the whole forum upgrades fiasco, I'd hate to see it die off even more.

• Members

Music Biz definitely cooled off a lot after some of the forum issues a while back.

I voted yes, because if there's a forum specifically for original band issues, we can hopefully avoid some of the noise that comes from people inevitably applying cover-band values to original projects when people bring them up.

• Moderators

I voted yes, because if there's a forum specifically for original band issues, we can hopefully avoid some of the noise that comes from people inevitably applying cover-band values to original projects when people bring them up.

I think a lot of folks don't understand the extent to which this is an issue. I've heard this quite a bit. I think it's only natural because there's so many more cover band-focused regulars. It's human nature to assume.

I started a thread about lighting from the stage a while back and even though I took pains to point out the time/space/fixture limitations we generally faced as an original band usually playing 3-4 band bills, I had to keep pointing these out. People just kept assuming I had the luxury to show up well in advance to set everything up, instead or (usually) having to set the entire bands gear up in 15 minutes or less, even though I'd clearly stated our situation.

• Members

I love it when people call me a weekend warrior or pull a musicians card on me. That just motivates me. Sometimes a little head cutting is in order too, when that happens.

It's an ego thing sure but anyone passionate about music and performance e knows goddamned well what I'm talking about.

Just sayin.

Archived