Should we create a sub-forum specific to original bands?

BATCAT

• Moderators

I'm bring this up (again) in light of the recent thread.

To be clear- the purpose of such a sub forum would not be to exclude anyone (anyone would be welcome to post there, provided they keep it civil and reasonably on-topic) but to make a place to consolidate the scattered and infrequent discussion of topics relating primarily to original bands. As it is it seems kind of hard for folks in original bands to connect, and a number of people have been complaining about this for a while.

Anyone would still be welcome to post about any band-related topics in the main BWTB forum.

If there's enough support for this I'll bring it up to the folks upstairs.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well like I said in the other thread I do think it's a good idea cuz having been in my share of both I personally believe that covers and original bands really are two COMPLETELY different animals, sure, you're both trying to get several different humans to play the same music, but it's a whole different ballgame playing stuff that's already been written and that they have herad before on the radio or elsewhere and tryng to get several different human beings to compose, play, record, original music...I also don't think it could HURT anything, so why not?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger

View Post

All right, who's the lone hater? Fess up and we'll go easy on yah LOL.

I would not call myself a hater since the band I play in does a boat load of original stuff. I cast that vote due to the many things that are alike in an original band that I dont think they really need a separate arena. Even a guy like sev is going to end up with cover guys if he needs a backing band. He is also gonna hve to feed them to keep then on board, so an occasional mixed gig of covers and original stuff is the best way to do that. About the only real difference is you cant be a total mercinary with a band that has original stuff. You will turn gigs to get in to the get your ticket punched venues and on stages on the bill with certain acts to build cred. Typiclly the first slots of that kind are going to be way down the pay scale if any at all. The bandleader might be lucky just to pay his guys. does that flush? You still have to work your way up as a band.

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by toddkuen View Post
No - I think it needs to be a forum on "career minded" - originals or otherwise. Comment on the other thread here.
Over the years I've had a pretty large number of folks advocate for a separate forum to focus on original stuff, but sventvkg is the first person I can recall bringing up "career minded". My inquiry into this isn't a direct result of his thread but rather a response to a few years of this coming up.

Separating forums in to "career-minded" and "non-career minded" seems like a one-way ticket to headache land.

Archived