Should we create a sub-forum specific to original bands?

BATCAT

• Members

I love it when people call me a weekend warrior or pull a musicians card on me. That just motivates me. Sometimes a little head cutting is in order too, when that happens.

It's an ego thing sure but anyone passionate about music and performance e knows goddamned well what I'm talking about.

Just sayin.

Don't forget "hobbyist amateur". :facepalm:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I might consider taking it over and moderating it if offered. But the thing is, I believe the types of discourse I want to have would have to be populated with like minded folks on the same page as me and the kinds of hobbyist amateur rhetoric that seems to come out on this forum by the weekenders WILL turn the very people that I'd like to attract off. So, we'll see....I'm still turning it around in my head whether I want to start a boots on the ground podcast and a forum associated with it for pro's idiotically trying to make something happen in this insane business. Some like me, on the journey, some very successful. Might be cool..Might be dumb pipedream idea. Maybe we'll all rant at NSAI meetings, songwriter rounds and co-writes
:)

face it sean ,, we are just little league guys and you are in nashville swimmin in the big pond. Make the break and follow your dream. If you make it we will know someone famous ,, if you dont ,, see ya on the bounce back.

• Members

I think a lot of folks don't understand the extent to which this is an issue. I've heard this quite a bit. I think it's only natural because there's so many more cover band-focused regulars. It's human nature to assume.

I started a thread about lighting from the stage a while back and even though I took pains to point out the time/space/fixture limitations we generally faced as an original band usually playing 3-4 band bills, I had to keep pointing these out. People just kept assuming I had the luxury to show up well in advance to set everything up, instead or (usually) having to set the entire bands gear up in 15 minutes or less, even though I'd clearly stated our situation.

And it goes both ways. I weigh in on people's cover band stuff all the time.

• Moderators

And it goes both ways. I weigh in on people's cover band stuff all the time.

I don't think it's inherently bad for someone in a cover band to throw in their two cents on a question related by someone in an original band and vice versa, if they have taken time to actually consider the question, but on BWTB there is just WAY too much assuming that everybody else's circumstances are just like yours.

• Members

Don't forget "hobbyist amateur".
:facepalm:

That too! I wasn't specifically talking to Sean as I don't know that he had me in mind when he said that, but I have seen veterans do this before and have their ass handed to them by some so-called weekend warrior, so...you know.

• Members

I support the idea to the extent that it isn't exclusionary to song writers. Say I join an original band. I'm not going to give a damn about business and booking because that ain't my role. But I would like to focus on creating parts, structuring a song, creating turn arounds that turn around, using secondary functions and other genre specific chord substitutions, playing with taste while still conveying a sense of power, etc.

You know: music. Ain't that what we do? Man I dig the business side but wtf man, it seems that's all we gab about on here anymore. You'd think it was a bunch of salesman and not players. More music talk, PLEASE.

• Members

I don't think it's inherently bad for someone in a cover band to throw in their two cents on a question related by someone in an original band and vice versa, if they have taken time to actually consider the question, but on BWTB there is just WAY too much assuming that everybody else's circumstances are just like yours.

If everyone kept that in mind every time, there'd be no problem. A lot of the weekend warriors have been around the block and done the originals thing when they were probably more around my experience level. So there's still a lot to learn from them. Somebody like Sean, who's focused on originals still, with a boatload of experience to boot, is rare. To the point that the exclusive criteria proposed might leave him talking to himself.

• Members
I might consider taking it over and moderating it if offered. But the thing is, I believe the types of discourse I want to have would have to be populated with like minded folks on the same page as me and the kinds of hobbyist amateur rhetoric that seems to come out on this forum by the weekenders WILL turn the very people that I'd like to attract off. So, we'll see....I'm still turning it around in my head whether I want to start a boots on the ground podcast and a forum associated with it for pro's idiotically trying to make something happen in this insane business. Some like me, on the journey, some very successful. Might be cool..Might be dumb pipedream idea. Maybe we'll all rant at NSAI meetings, songwriter rounds and co-writes
:)

Sounds interesting -or you could do it the other way 'round and do the forum first and get inspiration for the podcasts from there :-). The Career Minded Original Artists forum awaits you still ;).

• Members

That too! I wasn't specifically talking to Sean as I don't know that he had me in mind when he said that, but I have seen veterans do this before and have their ass handed to them by some so-called weekend warrior, so...you know.

Yeah, this "weekend warrior bar star" used to do the originals thing full time, and at one point was even signed, touring, and regularly playing 1000-2000 seaters. Certainly not a major rock star by any means, but I was making my living playing original material, had a bit of recognition, and certainly had my share of "pro" biz experiences, even within sven's narrow definition of "pro".

And I would bet money that I'm not the only one here with similar relevant experience.

• Members

I know a bass player here that has 30 years experience and I blow him away in every way imaginable on bass.

I've also seen teenagers that smoke me in every way possible. It happens.

That said: why not let the music do the talking? More of that would be a good thing IMO.

And in country/roots music, many songs are written by folks that don't have any experience playing live music. I met a little old lady at a songwriters convention in the 80's that wrote a big hit for I believe Kenny Rogers. She showed the group her first royalty check and you'd never guess in a million years this old gal had written a bona ride hit tune.

Bottom line is nobody has a lock on writing tunes or earns their way into that by playing and gigging. Writing good music is a gift and those that have it don't need to flash any credentials: the song is the credential. But anyway, wtf do I know.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Potts

View Post

I voted no...why in Gods name would we need another forum? There's like three threads a day started here as it is.

I would actually post in here more often if there was a forum more cover related. I've dropped off here lately because I feel I either end up explaining or defending half my posts to other members who don't even have the same goals.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Vermoulian

View Post

I voted yes, because if there's a forum specifically for original band issues, we can hopefully avoid some of the noise that comes from people inevitably applying cover-band values to original projects when people bring them up.

Quoting this just because it's so perfectly captured my thoughts. thumb.gif

• Members

What y'all aren't considering is that "noise" bumps threads back to the top and gives more chances for late arrivals to post. Eliminate that and threads will sink to the bottom of the bowl and stay there. Search here is useless, so front page placement of posts is vital to ensure discussion. Why not just filter out the noise an pick what is good? That's been the hc way for a while now.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wheresgrant3

View Post

I would actually post in here more often if there was a forum more cover related. I've dropped off here lately because I feel I either end up explaining or defending half my posts to other members who don't even have the same goals.

Good post and I agree. I voted yes btw.

Archived