This Forum is pretty much toast right?

wheresgrant3

• Moderators

As I posted a little while ago:

Yes, the problems you mention are intermittent, persistent, and forum-wide. They occur for all users AFAIK.

I have nothing to do with the technical side of the forums; I'm strictly a moderator. To be blunt, I can't offer much to satisfy you guys except to say everyone in Admin and IT are aware of the problems. Apparently it has to do with the specific way vBulletin is being run. I'm afraid I can't offer much else other than to say people really are working to fix the problems.

It seems particularly bad today. I sort of hope they break completely so something will then HAVE to be done. idn_smilie.gif

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by Kramerguy View Post
yep. I posted about it last week.

This week is even worse.

It's always been an issue, but I do like these forums...
it's funny how sporadic the problems are. The whole forum will seem like it'll be on the very edge of totally breaking, then minutes later it will be working flawlessly.
freak.gif

• Members

[16:00:06.868] GET http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...drate.js?v=408 [HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified 38652ms]

38.6s to serve up a 304 response for a static object. There must be flames shooting out the power supply. They could lighten the load quickly and relatively easily by serving static content up from some kind of a CDN.

[15:59:16.465] GET http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...-With-the-Band [HTTP/1.1 200 OK 848ms]
The actual "hard work" for this page took less than a second, so chances are fair that the DB is not overwhelmed.

HEAD responses are taking their sweet time, too.

Either some huge crazy process is running on the server and chewing up a LOT of resources, or they are getting the {censored} beat out of the webserver and it can't handle all the concurrent connections. The latter could easily be because of evil people playing silly games.

Wes

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think he hacked this and that's why it's so slow.
;)

:eek:

Not me man. First time I've even lurked here since then. Y'all are cool. Just gotta take a break from this time wasting stuff and get stuff sorted. Besides, I'm not gigging anyway so that kinda pushes me out of the club.

Wes made some great observations. Also, check your routes. From what I can see, HC is hosted on an edge provider and not a core provider. There is a difference where you host, as to the quality of the routes you get. A core provider enlists in BGP, where an edge provider does not. That's the long and the short of network latencies with no apparent cause. Of course, the evil ones may be syn flooding or some other such, but again: look at the routes I posted a while back and see that some of the upstream routers were choked so badly that they were returning 300+ ms resp times. Moving to a core provider would alleviate this particular issue. Plus, core providers have more expertise at blocking SYN flood DDOS attacks.

Later.

Archived