What are some ways to improve the "value" of your band?

roamingbard13

• Members

Here we go again with all the gear talk. Wake me up when you all wanna talk about how to be an effective music director, how to help band mates find the harmony note consistently and with confidence, how to encourage band mates and yourself to have situational awareness and a forward facing, inviting stage presence: which includes not looking or acting scared or timid up there.

My whole point in posting our video is that we don't reall have vocal talent. Hell the lead in the OP probebly is a better singer than what we got. But: this is a band with no gigs and a handful of focused rehearsals as opposed to 2 years of gigs and obviously unfocused rehearsals.

:yawn:

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by wades_keys

View Post

Here we go again with all the gear talk. Wake me up when you all wanna talk about how to be an effective music director, how to help band mates find the harmony note consistently and with confidence, how to encourage band mates and yourself to have situational awareness and a forward facing, inviting stage presence: which includes not looking or acting scared or timid up there.

My whole point in posting our video is that we don't reall have vocal talent. Hell the lead in the OP probebly is a better singer than what we got. But: this is a band with no gigs and a handful of focused rehearsals as opposed to 2 years of gigs and obviously unfocused rehearsals.

:yawn:

Rehearsal is over-rated. The classic rock band I play with has never had a band practice yet I play 45 nights with them last year. My main bands last practice was in Sept. IIRC. Unless we are working in a new drummer we will only have a rehearsal if we are learning a new song. I know one band locally who were rehearsing once a week for about 18 months before there first gig. That would drive me nuts.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by modulusman

View Post

Rehearsal is over-rated. The classic rock band I play with has never had a band practice yet I play 45 nights with them last year. My main bands last practice was in Sept. IIRC. Unless we are working in a new drummer we will only have a rehearsal if we are learning a new song. I know one band locally who were rehearsing once a week for about 18 months before there first gig. That would drive me nuts.

yep. If you are gigging you really shouldn't need weekly practices.

• Members

View Post

That's a great point.

Mistakes happen.

But bad habits: making the same mistakes....that should be recognized and dealt with by either getting it locked down tight in rehearsal or dropping the tune.

Agreed. Personally, I prefer the former to the latter.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead

View Post

No disrespect but: no {censored}.

But here's the thing. If the band doesn't work up stage presence, moves, a coherent look and develop the ability to set the bar high and work together to keep it that way, the result is rarely better than mediocre, musically.

There are established, stagnant bands here that we already smoke musically: better energy, passion, execution. That doesn't happen by just showing up and playing the parts. Someone has to be the critic. And someone should also play the role of saying: "good enough, let's not burn this out"

Yall are steadily proving my belief by refusing to share details of how to really run an effective rehearsal. And for that: I thank you. I know I'm on the right path now.

• Members

View Post

But here's the thing. If the band doesn't work up stage presence, moves, a coherent look and develop the ability to set the bar high and work together to keep it that way, the result is rarely better than mediocre, musically.

There are established, stagnant bands here that we already smoke musically: better energy, passion, execution. That doesn't happen by just showing up and playing the parts. Someone has to be the critic. And someone should also play the role of saying: "good enough, let's not burn this out"

Yall are steadily proving my belief by refusing to share details of how to really run an effective rehearsal. And for that: I thank you. I know I'm on the right path now.

• Members

View Post

ok, dad.

• Members

View Post

ok, dad.

• Members

View Post

And yet the average idiot will think the band with 20K in PA and lights is a better band.smile.gif

• Members

View Post

And yet the average idiot will think the band with 20K in PA and lights is a better band.smile.gif

• Members

View Post

Rehearsal is over-rated.

It's all about balance as far as I'm concerned. Although I've done my share of gigs with virtually no rehearsals - it's not my preferred method, if for any reason - simply because I know an unrehearsed show rarely make the list of my better performances.

Neither am I interested in endless rehearsing without gigs.

Rehearsals that focus on new material icon14.gif

Rehearsals that blow thru "starts and stops" before a "first gig in awhile" situation icon14.gif

Rehearsals that address obvious disconnects icon14.gif

Rehearsals to "get tight", "capture the feeling", "recreate a performance" feel icon13.gif

Rehearsals where individual players are learning their parts icon13.gif

Rehearsals to review whole songs that have been on the playlist forever icon13.gif

Rehearsals when gigs were available because "we're not ready" icon13.gificon13.gificon13.gif

It's all about balance!

• Members

View Post

Rehearsal is over-rated.

It's all about balance as far as I'm concerned. Although I've done my share of gigs with virtually no rehearsals - it's not my preferred method, if for any reason - simply because I know an unrehearsed show rarely make the list of my better performances.

Neither am I interested in endless rehearsing without gigs.

Rehearsals that blow thru "starts and stops" before a "first gig in awhile" situation icon14.gif

Rehearsals to "get tight", "capture the feeling", "recreate a performance" feel icon13.gif

Rehearsals to review whole songs that have been on the playlist forever icon13.gif

Rehearsals when gigs were available because "we're not ready" icon13.gificon13.gificon13.gif

It's all about balance!

• Members

View Post

ok, dad.

Damn tommy: it ain't about all that but whatever.

I can see you ain't into taking direction and working steady in the band room to get it right.

It ain't for everyone. But good teams have good coaches and good team players believe in the system and buy into it.

You band could improve too but I ain't here to call nobody out. Would rather chat with like minded, pro minded cats that get what I'm saying. My guy didn't get his Nashville gig by being tough to work with, and he's all the time telling me stories about razzy and how he'd keep the band on track.

But like I said: go on and get butt hurt if that makes ya feel better.

• Members

View Post

ok, dad.

I can see you ain't into taking direction and working steady in the band room to get it right.

It ain't for everyone. But good teams have good coaches and good team players believe in the system and buy into it.

You band could improve too but I ain't here to call nobody out. Would rather chat with like minded, pro minded cats that get what I'm saying. My guy didn't get his Nashville gig by being tough to work with, and he's all the time telling me stories about razzy and how he'd keep the band on track.

• Members

View Post

ok, dad.

• Members

View Post

ok, dad.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman

View Post

It's all about balance!

thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman

View Post

It's all about balance!

thumb.gif

Archived