Solo act Backing/Accompaniment tracks

TinPan

• Members

Does anyone know where I can buy blues & rock backing tracks that have vocals? I know about the free backing tracks but most dont have actual actual songs with vocals, and most are not the material Im looking for. The blues tracks are just jam tracks for beginers. I have found few mp3's on amazon and found they are of better quality so I would rather pay for quality stuff then have poor quality free stuff. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would even consider software that I can mix to my liking but like I said I need the vocals as I cant sing a note and dont want to frighten the customers.

I will be using the tracks during live solo preformances at small clubs.

• Members

Let me get this straight... you want to play in public, for money, to backing tracks, with vocals, and just add yourself playing guitar?

Correct, I should have mentioned Im a guitarist, Im solo for now but once I get out there Im sure I'll meet other musicians willing to join in, I need bass drums keys and of course vocals. I will be doing both paid & free gigs, mostly free at first.

• Moderators

Correct, I should have mentioned Im a guitarist, Im solo for now but once I get out there Im sure I'll meet other musicians willing to join in, I need bass drums keys and of course vocals. I will be doing both paid & free gigs, mostly free at first.

Okay, and don't take this the wrong way, but why do you think this is a good plan?

I personally would be surprised if many venues will find this kind of act acceptable as far as entertainment.

I mean, if you really can't sing, why not just go out and play instrumentals?

• Members

CHEEEZZZZZEEEE...Some guitar is OK..The rest is some dude with a motif...IF there is a market for this I will make them perfect with all live musicians. Who thinks the ultimate GREATEST backing tracks available, multi-tracked, in different keys available, vocals or no, etc etc..No cheezy synth drums etc...Who thinks there would be a market for them? All the bread and butter tunes soloists play live to boot.

• Members

Ok this is a good one but still does not contain much of the material I want to cover. But this is the right idea!

What are you trying to do? Obscure blues {censored} that no one but you wants to hear? Do you care what other people want to hear or do you just want to get yourself off? I'm not judging, just wondering.

• Members

It might be a better idea to play the original recordings and then juggle or sword swallow.....

Seriously though, the vocal is really the only thing "civilian" people care about. Can you imagine starting a sports event with the recording of the anthem while someone stands out in the middle of the stadium doing card tricks? And yes I know sometimes it is prerecorded but at least the singer lip syncs.

Anyway if the guitaroke idea works, I guess it will be time for me to take my glove and go home - and stay there!

• Members

@ TinPan

i recommend you find yourself someone who can sing and get out there as a duo. youll get way more work i reckon...

then you could take backing tracks from karoakoe version.com etc... or else you can get midi files from hittrax.com and edit them yourself.

@ sventvkg

yes i think your idea would work for sure. with multi tracks available, in multiple keys, with and without everything so u can have it as stripped back as much as you want.

what i find with teh karoakeversion websiteis that i want multitracks so i can strip them right back to bass/drums, maybe backing guitar.

but i can only do that to + or - 2semitones. and alot of these tunes , the original is WAY high for me..

try singing only two semitones down on an AC/DC or rod stewart tune or whatever.. even jagger. those guys hit some really high notes. :eek:

im very often down more than 2 semitones on those guys..

• Members

In my experience as a career musician, the vocals are the most important part of a live performance.

I don't mean to be a passion-dowser, but you might think long and hard about the commercial appeal of your plan.

I would think an all-instrumental act with backing tracks would go over better than one with vocals that are on the track. But keep in mind, I could be wrong about that, and your market is different from mine.

At one time I couldn't sing, but with lots of work and practice, I learned. I became an adequate singer, and later on a decent singer.

You might also think about getting a singer and making it a duo instead of a single act.

Again, I could be wrong about this. If you do it and it works, let us know, I'll definitely be happy for you.

And good luck.

Notes

• Members

Upon reflection, maybe I should soften my previous post a bit.

To the OP. I think what I'm trying to say is; if someone is a good enough instrumentalist to feel that they will appeal to an audience based on their guitar skills, they might be disappointed. Most folks that appreciate a skilled musician would not appreciate canned vocals. They will put up with drum machines and other forms of backing tracks but vocals not IMO.

I should state however that I never thought the Blair Witch Project would make any money - so I can definately be wrong!

Blues is a very forgiving genre vocally. Maybe you can pull it off. Sometimes sincerity or the intangible is all you need to have successful vocals. Think Leornard Cohen, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, or even William Shatner (who just released a new album). These are all singers who either have a very individual style or can't even sing, but they all manage just fine.

And plus one to just hiring a singer and doing a duo - tracks or no tracks.

As noted above, if it works it would be interesting to hear about it.

• Members

I think maybe people are reading this wrong? Or no? If you re-read his second post, it almost looks like he wants to put a band together, and sees this as a way to showcase his guitar playing skills, and plans on playing for free doing this at first? If so, that's not an entirely bad plan. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong?

• Members

There is so much wrong with that statement.

Someone always has to find fault in everything, I bet he hates kids and the elderly and cats & dogs, look out if someone in a wheelchair get's in his way. Oh I see now what he's saying, there is a typo in the word "performance" God forbid someone should forget to dot an i or hit the J next to the H by mistake. I bet this guy is a teacher, the kind that talks down to not only his students but his wife (if he has one) & friends (if he has any). He's safe (he thinks) talking down to folks from behind a computer screen. What do you think? Mr. prefict? oh sorry i ment to type perfect? Oh frack i did it again I not i. Mr. perfect NOT!

• Members

I think maybe people are reading this wrong? Or no? If you re-read his second post, it almost looks like he wants to put a band together, and sees this as a way to showcase his guitar playing skills, and plans on playing for free doing this at first? If so, that's not an entirely bad plan. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong?

BING!!!

Give that man a cigar! Perhaps I was a bit vague in my original post, I apologize for that but I had no idea I was going to be tied to the whipping post for it, Geezzz some mope even cut me down for a typo, I thought this forum was a place to come for help or offer help.

Richardmac, your not reading it wrong, I guess in my vague original I should have been clearer, after all yall cant read my mind right? I will be playing at first for other musicians, Its kind of hard to explain, why not just play with the other musicians? Correct? The venues are clubs that a lot of musicians go to, we all do this kind of thing in our area, again none of you could have known that, however instead of trying to figure out what the use is for what Im trying to use the tracks for, why not just share the knowledge. I you know where I can find such a web site where I can download or of CD's I can buy, or software? Why not just answer ihe (oops anothe typo) the main jist of the question, why go on with "Whats the use of that?" What'r ya try'n to do? Get paid for that? Well guess what, yeah some club's near me do actualy pay people to come in a play to tracks! Go fig'ya! Oh oh, Now I dun did it, the mope with the clip board will be after me for use'n a non word "fig'ya" What was I think'n? Oh and by the way, to the typo correct'n mope, I happen to have MS and my fingers dont always go where I want them to so typos are common, yes it effects my guitar play'n too but Im still damn good, would'nt be surprised Im better the him!

Archived