what is your age?

eyesore

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

well as far as i'm concerned i HATE playin to the "text messaging 20 something crowd".thats why i quit the band 6 months ago.ya play your heart out and when the tune is over ,no one notices!..i guess i'll stick with the farmers mkts and try to get in some restaurants this yyear. i happy bein "wall paper" music!!

• Members

I'll be 55 in a few months. I play once/week May through September at a nudist resort in the Pocono mountains of PA. From October to May, I play twice/month at a nudist resort in FL. The crowd at these bars is older, and body acceptance is part of the lifestyle, so I'll keep going as long as my own body will accept it, LOL!

I've only been gigging for 6 years. I studied music in college, but gave up music in my early 20s to raise a family. About 10 years ago, my second wife convinced me to pick up a guitar and sing again. I'm not ready to quit my day job, but enjoy making music on the side.

• Members

well as far as i'm concerned i HATE playin to the "text messaging 20 something crowd".thats why i quit the band 6 months ago.ya play your heart out and when the tune is over ,no one notices!..i guess i'll stick with the farmers mkts and try to get in some restaurants this yyear. i happy bein "wall paper" music!!

I'm 45. I did the cover band/bar scene over the last couple of years to exactly what you described. I was the lead singer/2nd guitar, look younger than my age but feel older with aches and pains of varying sorts. Quit about the same time you did. Went solo playing hotel lounges and restaurants. I found the same thing there. Older crowds but still in love with their smartphones all night. I didn't mind being the sonic wallpaper, but there was something that made me feel different if I was that for folks drinking, conversing, etc (the normal things you do when you're hanging out) rather than those texting and playing Words With Friends all night.

I guess I'm just a sensitive guy. :) Anyway, hung it up for good in the fall. Still love music and my guitar; just didn't have the performance bug any longer.

Needless to day, I never considered age to be a boundary of any kind until my back and sciatic nerve could barely make it through 4 hours standing at the mic.

• Members

I turn 59 in March. I've been gigging regularly since the early 1970s. Started out doing top 40 cover bands, then branched into Country, Oldies, and German Polka music. I also do anything else that looks like it might be interesting, like bagpipes, celtic harp, and Native American flute music.

I am getting a bit tired of the late night bar scene with a rock band and am working on doing more solo gigs. I plan to spend a lot of time lining these up when I retire in May.

• Members

I'm 66 and play where ever I get a chance. I am playing better than I ever have. I also play with a lot of guys my age or older.

You make me the second oldest so far.:) I'm 61 and like you I am playing better than ever. When it comes to up tempo bluegrass, driving country, bebop, light jazz, r&r, blues etc. I'm your guy. Lead, rhythm, fingerpicking, tight phrased licks you name it. I have rock solid meter too. My voice is better than ever also. Age has been very good to me.

• Members

Just turned 56 this past December. Also just started going solo about May of last year. Should have done it a long time ago. Although playing solo requires a lot more out of you....set/up, tear down = all you, plus singing = all you, check at end of gig = all you....there are the obvious rewards. I find at my age that I am more secure in myself and my abilities. I have traveled up and down the East Coast playing in rock bands, hotel circuit bands, beach show bands for over 10 years...you name it...so I've paid my dues. Now when I perform I dont get the jitters thinking I'm not good enough...it's more like "dang, did I remember to bring that midi patch cable for the sound module". I guess what I'm eluding to is that with age comes a certain amount of confidence and acceptance of one's self. I hope to gig for a long time doing this solo thing as I believe it is good for the soul...keeps me young hearted..and phyisically in shape.

• Members

I qualified for the freedom fifty-five dream a few years ago. I'm still looking for that sailboat they show in all the ads ;) Guess I should have put what little money I make into gold instead of mutual funds - or in my area, the real estate market.

• Members

37. And I feel both old and young at the same time.

Just started playing live again after a decade, though I have found my writing has been seriously reduced and I'm doing more covers than I ever felt comfortable but I'm playing out rather than whining about not :) (I try to avoid Neil Young but sometimes there's no escaping someone wanting to hear "Rocking in the Free World")

Started running an open acoustic session at a pub for other musicians, which is turning into a regular Friday night gig with some of the other regular musicians that have shown up. Unfortunately I don't quite jive with the music genre but heck, people are having fun and I've discovered that I enjoy running sound so I'm playing less and running the board, setting up the mics and spending more time working to get the best sound out of others and I'm really enjoying that part.

Unfortunately due to some illnesses when I was younger my body is starting to really hurt. I've fairly bad arthritis in my hands so some days it's pretty difficult to play, but more so if I actually take a break from playing then it's really sore and difficult. It's depressing though knowing that sometime in the future that I may not be able to work through the arthritis and I'll have to give it up or find an alternative.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I am 41.

I have played in bands since I was a kid. Ten years ago the plant I worked at closed and I had 3 young kids that were not in school yet. I decided I didn't want to go out and get a job just to pay daycare, so I built a set list and started gig'n solo.

After about a year I was working 4 to 6 nights a week. between solo and a band.

Over the past 5 years I have been playing between 6 and 7 nights a week sometimes doubles and triples. Two years ago I played over 400 gigs. Usually 3-4 hrs. Playing Mostly bars at night.

I will say I am about as burnt out as you can get. Bar life is fun when you are young, playing music is all I have ever wanted to do. I have done it and now I am tired. I turned myself into an alcoholic, I got to where I had to drink to tolerate the audience. It got bad.

Last Oct. I wrecked my car on the way home one night. Luckily nobody got killed or hurt. I totaled my car, and entered rehab the next week. I am now nearly 90 days sober. I have cut back to 2 maybe 3 gigs a week. It is actually a blessing. I can enjoy playing again. Over the last ten years it became a job. I was on cruise control. Smile and play the F'n song. Drink some Bourbon play the next song. Repeat.... Now I am looking for a "Real" Job. that sucks, but at least my music is mine again. I am looking to record, and possibly get an original band together again. I have passion for it again.

I am not a great guitar player, I am a solid singer, ok harp player. I am an entertainer though I claim that. I don't encourage playing too much. The money is good, but it steals your soul. A few times a week keeps it special.

Sorry for writing a book.

• Members

hey souldonor;i wish you the best of luck!times are tough right now but it'll get better.i played in a band for 10 years[ 9 years too long]i 'm sick of drunks and the "chick" who wants to sing "me& bobby mcgee and forgets all the words.i think where i wanna be is :backround" music .hate the barscene!! i'm gonna check out WEGMANS.they seem to be interested in music intheir coffee shop and i asked for $75 for 2 two hours....so i'll let ya know .....anywaybest of luck to you!!

• Members

I'm 62. Not a musician, but a recording guy and I have loved recording for many years. I have a friend who is a guitar player who plays every Sunday evening with his 5 piece band at a local club. I'm going to try to go see them tonight. He's only 96 years old at the moment. They can be seen and heard here playing at his 93rd birthday party at the club he still plays every Sunday:

[video=youtube;eAZTdjfa0Tw]

I shot this that night and had good fun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Mure

Archived