Since we are running the Backing Tracks debate into the ground....................

fingerpicker

• Moderators

You're good at reciting an unverifiable resume, at least. Nice inclusion of how you 'almost' made it big.

The question is, did you do any of those things while using backing tracks?

seriously, you show up here with 6 month of membership and 500 some odd posts and begin attacking people? :rolleyes:

did you bother to check out Norton's weblinks?

play that game over in one of the jam forums like OJ, not in here.

• Members

No. People who try to use non-verifiable resumes to establish authority on the internet are insecure.

By far and away Notes' Internet resume reveals him to be quite the talented musician and nowhere near insecure. His expanding upon the subject shows an incredibly talented individual who, far from your perception, has "made it" as a real success in in music his own way, on his own terms. You -- anyone -- would be lucky to achieve such success in your chosen profession (and I probably would be correct in assuming that you are NOT a full time pro musician like Notes or many others on this forum).

The real insecure people on these online forums are usually the ones who start blasting others -- without cause -- only to seemingly make a name for themselves on a microscopic part of the online world. Feel free to take your insecurity elsewhere.

• Members

Notes' demo sounds very good, IMO. It's obviously not meant to showcase virtuoso instrumental chops, but arranging chops.

It's so good, in fact, I think it would have Keith Olberman and Sean Hannity dancing cheek-to-cheek
:)

Now THAT I'd like to see!

:thu:

• Members

If you'd like to verify my resume, do some digging on the Internet. I suppose much of it is verifiable, but some of it has also probably been lost in the past before meticulous records of everything weren't either taken or stored in a central database.

You can start here if you like (Who's Who) - I'm the Robert Howard Norton in Fort Pierce, Florida. Let me know if you spend the $7.95 to buy my bio, I'll be tickled if you do.

But it matters not to me.

Furthermore, what does that have to do with backing tracks?

I'm happy with my life without the need to attack anyone who disagrees with me. I call it the "Fox" mentality and to me the "quick to attack" mode is the beginning of the end of civility in this country.

I play with backing tracks. We could do a "fwang-a fwang-a" rhythm guitar/vocal gig but I doubt if we could have played on MTV, CBS, NBC, ABC and The BBC, or the ballroom at The Breakers Hotel In Palm Beach, or Dinner/Dance nights at local yacht clubs and country clubs, or have lasted 3 years on a 3 week contract with Carnival Cruise Lines.

And I am aware that there are compromises made to playing with backing tracks. (1) All the musical input is either mine or my partners (2) the backing tracks are inflexible and the same every night - no surprises [but when I played with charts in symphonic band and a big dance band there were no surprises either] (3) we have to haul all the gear (4) it takes much longer to learn a song since I have to learn the drums, bass, and comp parts before recording them

On the other hand (1) we sound bigger and can play better paying gigs (2) I can play my favorite instrument on the gig - saxophone - along with flute, wind synth, guitar, vocals and percussion controller (3) we don't have to worry about other musicians that don't have the strong 'work' ethics that Leilani and I have (4) we make more money than a person in a 5 piece band [we left a 5 piece band to form the duo].

There is a plus and minus to almost everything, and there is more than one right way to make music.

The audience loves us, I make a living doing music and nothing but music, and I'm living a happy life. What else matters?

• Members

dont know how i skipped over this thread...

first off, i'm not a bragger, nor am i going to talk about mp3 or wave pre-recorded backing tracks. i work solely with midi tracks because they are totally adjustable on the fly and sound more live than pre-recorded. its a little more work to use them on stage since there is a bit more mixing needed, but i never was a person to be lazy or do things half ass. if it sounded like {censored}, i wouldn't use them. but they dont, so i do.

now on to the reason for this thread

i too tell the audience i made everyone of my 1000+ midi backing tracks that i use on my gigs. main reason i comment about it is i know mine are far better to any midi tracks i can buy on the market for my keyboard/sequencer. any pre-fabricated midi BT i ever tried sounded like {censored}. not worth even trying to edit them. they lack heart and soul.

i put myself into every midi track i made. i feel the song because i know where every part is in that tune. and it shows on stage when i perform with them. i work very well with my own tracks because i know where i'm suppose to fit in the mix. you dont get that feeling when you buy tracks already made. plus you can tell the guys that have bought their BTs because they all sound the same. i think one guy bought them and gave them to all of his other solo act friends.

and oh yeah, i make and paint my own guitars and comment about that on stage as well. reason i comment about them is i get work painting other people guitars. and fender and gibson charge too much for their custom guitars. they take too long to get built. hell, i can make a telecaster or stratocaster from scratch and have it built, painted, and put together in 10 days and use it out on the gig. i get a whole lot of satisfaction knowing i can build a guitar of good quality. i feel the same with my midi tracks

so yeah, i'm proud that i can make my own tracks. and until you come out and see me perform and listen to what i put on the table at every gig and how the crowd responds to me, you'll be in la la land wondering how i get it to work so well.

• Members

Actually, if I could find a really good accordion player (who wasn't crazy; I do know one of those) I'd ...

well...

I'd have found a really good accordion player. But I do think that a duo with guitar and accordion could sound pretty great.

• Members

dont know how i skipped over this thread...

first off, i'm not a bragger, nor am i going to talk about mp3 or wave pre-recorded backing tracks. i work solely with midi tracks because they are totally adjustable on the fly and sound more live than pre-recorded. its a little more work to use them on stage since there is a bit more mixing needed, but i never was a person to be lazy or do things half ass. if it sounded like {censored}, i wouldn't use them. but they dont, so i do.

now on to the reason for this thread

i too tell the audience i made everyone of my 1000+ midi backing tracks that i use on my gigs. main reason i comment about it is i know mine are far better to any midi tracks i can buy on the market for my keyboard/sequencer. any pre-fabricated midi BT i ever tried sounded like {censored}. not worth even trying to edit them. they lack heart and soul.

i put myself into every midi track i made. i feel the song because i know where every part is in that tune. and it shows on stage when i perform with them. i work very well with my own tracks because i know where i'm suppose to fit in the mix. you dont get that feeling when you buy tracks already made. plus you can tell the guys that have bought their BTs because they all sound the same. i think one guy bought them and gave them to all of his other solo act friends.

and oh yeah, i make and paint my own guitars and comment about that on stage as well. reason i comment about them is i get work painting other people guitars. and fender and gibson charge too much for their custom guitars. they take too long to get built. hell, i can make a telecaster or stratocaster from scratch and have it built, painted, and put together in 10 days and use it out on the gig. i get a whole lot of satisfaction knowing i can build a guitar of good quality. i feel the same with my midi tracks

so yeah, i'm proud that i can make my own tracks. and until you come out and see me perform and listen to what i put on the table at every gig and how the crowd responds to me, you'll be in la la land wondering how i get it to work so well.

Put up some pics of your painted guitars when you have a chance, love to see 'em! :cool:

• Members

Actually, if I could find a really good accordion player (who wasn't crazy; I do know one of those) I'd ...

well...

I'd have found a really good accordion player. But I do think that a duo with guitar and accordion
could
sound pretty great.

these guys rock. I think we open for them on fri

[video=youtube;6N2ytHtAqPk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N2ytHtAqPk

• Members

What I've noticed with backing tracks is that some use them very well, and some make me want to leave the room.

Which really wouldn't be any different than singing and playing guitar (or anything else) ... some wanna make you stay and some make you wanna leave the room.

I think the answer is (in either case) if people stay it is because they have perceived talent, according to their concept of it.

• Members

Which really wouldn't be any different than singing and playing guitar (or anything else) ... some wanna make you stay and some make you wanna leave the room.

I think the answer is (in either case) if people stay it is because they have perceived talent, according to their concept of it.

Actualy sometimes I think, "This guy would be great if he would lose that cheesy track".

• Members

Put up some pics of your painted guitars when you have a chance, love to see 'em!
:cool:

here is some of my over-the-top guitars. i posted them all on youtube and you can see a few of them in my performing videos. i built 9 guitars last year. have 3 to make this year for customers including a "cheif wahoo cleveland indians tele" i kid you not. its gonna be awesome. just waiting to slow down so i can work on them.

as well as your typical butterscotch blonde 52 teles and a few opaque colors, (blue, black, white, etc) which are on my guitar website.

• Members

here is some of my over-the-top guitars. i posted them all on youtube and you can see a few of them in my performing videos. i built 9 guitars last year. have 3 to make this year for customers including a "cheif wahoo cleveland indians tele" i kid you not. its gonna be awesome. just waiting to slow down so i can work on them.

Kamen Blue flake tele

green flake tele

plum crazy purple flake tele

red flake strat for a customer

as well as your typical butterscotch blonde 52 teles and a few opaque colors, (blue, black, white, etc) which are on my guitar website.

That green metal flake one is mighty nice! :thu:

Archived