People that Feel Entitled

Potts

• Members

I had a patio gig scheduled tonight and it got rained out. The venue wanted me there anyway so they told me to set up inside. It's a cool place- they have a pretty big "riser" that acts as a stage. It's nice because I get to set everything up nicely and put on a good solid show. Obviously it looks a little more professional than standing in the corner.

I'm setting up and in comes a husband and wife sound company team with UNGODLY AMOUNTS OF GEAR. I'm serious when I say for the size of the venue it was just completely unwarranted. Apparently there was a band scheduled at 9:30 and I'm "in the way".

Logically you'd say that I'm scheduled to play first so I need to be courteous and get my {censored} out of there as soon as possible so the band could get on. The first thing out of his mouth is something along the lines how important his job was because his 4 piece band goes on in 3 hours. Him and his wife were pretty much loosing it. I actually just let him rant his ass off without saying a word because I wanted him to feel like a dick when I told him my solution which I had planned on doing as soon as I saw what was going on.

Sometimes it's all about ego and I usually find stuff like that really funny. I was as polite as possible and as condescending I could be without the asshat knowing if I was trying to be or not.

Bigger gear is not greater than the gig. A solo dude is not inferior to a full band nor is an acoustic superior to a guy playing a xylophone. I don't know if he thought he was going to get his way because I was just sitting there with an acoustic guitar and a small setup but it had nothing to do with me changing the plan up. It was simply just being kind. Something that people seem to miss sometimes in their rash to judge.

After watching his veins pop out of his head, I of course told him I'd pull my stuff off the stage and he could completely work around me, at my feet or anything else he wanted right in the middle of me playing my set. He was pretty much speechless. I would imagine it would have been better for him if I wasn't there, but I was and it was an easy fix IMO.

I played with him though for the next 15 minutes as we were setting up. I made small talk with myself on how my little Bose will fill this place pretty well and I can pack it all up in 10 minutes. I told him how back in the day I use to work for a sound company but it was just too much work when I can just play solo gigs and make more money than a night running sound and lights. I naively asked them if it took more than an hour for him to setup.They said almost 3. I responded, "I hope you guys are making good money...I'm doing 2 solo gigs tonight and I'll still be home before the bands over. I'm sure your thinking I was being a dick but...well yeah but it wasn't as obvious as it is in writing ;)

I had a great time...the band came in and they were all cool as hell and the grumpy sound guy and his wife never said thanks or anything. To be honest, they're probably not even in to the 3rd set yet and I'm just about to hit the couch.

• Members

other than them being asshattish about it, it really falls on the people in charge of the venues and their decisions. It DOES take many full bands 2+ hours to set up.

It's your own fault when you bring enough gear to play MSG when you're playing a room that only needs speakers on a stick and a sub ;)

Fricken kids will learn eventually though.

As far as the venue...most of us have been playing in bars longer than they've been in the business. I'd rather handle it myself...

• Members
It's your own fault when you bring enough gear to play MSG when you're playing a room that only needs speakers on a stick and a sub
;)

Fricken kids will learn eventually though.

As far as the venue...most of us have been playing in bars longer than they've been in the business. I'd rather handle it myself...

most of the time it takes maybe 10-15 minutes less to set up a 1/1 per side vs 2/2 or more/side. All your core stuff is probably going to be the same except for extra cabs. Unless the band has a whole different setup of sound and lighting for small venues vs large ones. As a band, if I only rolled a single sub into even a small venue, it had better be some kind of sub! :)

• Members

I've seen bands that had way too much subwoofer for a mid sized room. Subs can drown out the more listenable frequencies sometimes. Also, sometimes the sound man sits in one spot and is unaware that the subs are too loud in other parts of the room.

• Moderators

three hours to set up for a 4 piece band?

The 'idiot' lamp is lit...even if he is micing all the drums, what could possibly take that long?

He is, as you noted, bringing waaaaay too much gear, and is waaaaay too anal to be a good sound engineer... ;)

• Members
I've seen bands that had way too much subwoofer for a mid sized room. Subs can drown out the more listenable frequencies sometimes. Also, sometimes the sound man sits in one spot and is unaware that the subs are too loud in other parts of the room.

good sound people roam the room to hear what is going on. Good sound people also set their systems properly. So yes, I've seen bands that had way too much lowend, or way too much "fatigue frequencies" or or muffled highs, you name it. Its better to have a PA that can cruise thru the gig than to have one that needs to be at 95%+ of its capability to achieve required results.

• Members
three hours to set up for a 4 piece band?

The 'idiot' lamp is lit...even if he is micing all the drums, what could possibly take that long?

He is, as you noted, bringing waaaaay too much gear, and is waaaaay too anal to be a good sound engineer...
;)

we usually can set up in just of 2 hours for our 3-piece band at our smallest venues, and maybe 20 minutes more for the largest gigs we do. I like to add at least 15 minutes "cushion" into it in case there is an issue to deal with.

• Members

I had a patio gig scheduled tonight and it got rained out. The venue wanted me there anyway
so they told me to set up inside.
It's a cool place- they have a pretty big "riser" that acts as a stage. It's nice because I get to set everything up nicely and put on a good solid show. Obviously it looks a little more professional than standing in the corner.

When the other folks came in I just would have told them to see the management because this is what they told you to do. Done.

• Members

In reference to sending the sound guys to the management...

You guys have all been in bars long enough to know it's usually not worth it if you can fix it yourself. Have you ever asked a manager or someone in a bar to move a table or slide the dart board over? You'd think they're making a decision that would impact generations to come. So I had a solution and figured I'd screw with the grump a little bit before I took care of the issue.

Think about it- there were only 2 solutions. They could have waited throughout my entire 2+hour set and not interfered with my playing, or they could set up while I was playing. There was no in between. Therefore there was no need to get someone else involved. :)

• Members
Yeah, I guess not. I just meant it seems like there needed to be better communication all around on this one.

correct. I think if you, the management and the other act are all talking about a solution there is more respect all around, and less bossiness.

• Members

In reference to sending the sound guys to the management...

You guys have all been in bars long enough to know it's usually not worth it if you can fix it yourself.
:)

Indeed. And since management often doesn't have a clue, they might very well side with the Loudest Idiot. Here's to hoping I have the presence of mind to handle it your way when it's my turn.

• Members

If I walked into that situation as the act that was supposed to be there to start setting up, I would take it up directly with the club owner/manager right away. Not stand and argue with whoever was taking up the space at the moment. It isn't their fault but it also CERTAINLY isn't the other act's fault for wanting to do what they need to do to get ready for their show.

• Members

If I walked into that situation as the act that was supposed to be there to start setting up, I would take it up directly with the club owner/manager right away. Not stand and argue with whoever was taking up the space at the moment. It isn't their fault but it also CERTAINLY isn't the other act's fault for wanting to do what they need to do to get ready for their show.

Yep. And I wouldn't just start setting up while he was on stage. I'd work it out so that he either quits early, or maybe he takes a break while we bring in our stuff so we can finish setting it up after he's finished. But I wouldn't either be pissed at him or try to interfere with his show.

• Members

Not stand and argue with whoever was taking up the space at the moment. It isn't their fault but it also CERTAINLY isn't the other act's fault for wanting to do what they need to do to get ready for their show.

You guys have really taken this "incident" to a whole new level...lol

Acoustic Guy sets up on stage. Sound crew comes in to set up 5 minutes later. Sound guy gets grumpy and starts mumbling and basically being dickweed. Acoustic guy is witty and plays with grumpy guy for short time and moves his gear in front of stage. Sound Guy gets great solution and is not put out in anyway. Acoustic guy inconvenienced more than anyone in entire situation but doesnt care because he's getting paid to play a guitar in a bar. Acoustic guy goes home. Band played 20 minutes later. Sound guy still grumpy. :)

• Members

I had a patio gig scheduled tonight and it got rained out. The venue wanted me there anyway so they told me to set up inside. It's a cool place- they have a pretty big "riser" that acts as a stage. It's nice because I get to set everything up nicely and put on a good solid show. Obviously it looks a little more professional than standing in the corner.

I'm setting up and in comes a husband and wife sound company team with
UNGODLY AMOUNTS OF GEAR
. I'm serious when I say for the size of the venue it was just completely unwarranted. Apparently there was a band scheduled at 9:30 and I'm "in the way".

Logically you'd say that I'm scheduled to play first so I need to be courteous and get my {censored} out of there as soon as possible so the band could get on. The first thing out of his mouth is something along the lines how important his job was because his 4 piece band goes on in 3 hours. Him and his wife were pretty much loosing it. I actually just let him rant his ass off without saying a word because I wanted him to feel like a dick when I told him my solution which I had planned on doing as soon as I saw what was going on.

Sometimes it's all about ego and I usually find stuff like that really funny. I was as polite as possible and as condescending I could be without the asshat knowing if I was trying to be or not.

Bigger gear is not greater than the gig. A solo dude is not inferior to a full band nor is an acoustic superior to a guy playing a xylophone. I don't know if he thought he was going to get his way because I was just sitting there with an acoustic guitar and a small setup but it had nothing to do with me changing the plan up. It was simply just being kind. Something that people seem to miss sometimes in their rash to judge.

After watching his veins pop out of his head, I of course told him I'd pull my stuff off the stage and he could completely work around me, at my feet or anything else he wanted right in the middle of me playing my set. He was pretty much speechless. I would imagine it would have been better for him if I wasn't there, but I was and it was an easy fix IMO.

I played with him though for the next 15 minutes as we were setting up. I made small talk with myself on how my little Bose will fill this place pretty well and I can pack it all up in 10 minutes. I told him how back in the day I use to work for a sound company but it was just too much work when I can just play solo gigs and make more money than a night running sound and lights. I naively asked them if it took more than an hour for him to setup.They said almost 3. I responded, "I hope you guys are making good money...I'm doing 2 solo gigs tonight and I'll still be home before the bands over. I'm sure your thinking I was being a dick but...well yeah but it wasn't as obvious as it is in writing
;)

I had a great time...the band came in and they were all cool as hell and the grumpy sound guy and his wife never said thanks or anything. To be honest, they're probably not even in to the 3rd set yet and I'm just about to hit the couch.

You just got added to my heroes list.

I admit, I LOVE gear. But, one thing I learned when DJing was, guerilla warfare. The longer I am there, the less I earn per hour. My DJ rig was literally 20-30 minutes tops once I loaded in. That is pile of stuff to lights and music. With the solo stuff I am shooting for now, my goal is single L1, one pedal, 2 guitars, 2 mics, small mixer.

• Members

Man, I wish I could drill that idea into my thick skull. I bring a crazy amount of gear to shows. Thank God my PA is small, and my entire collection of gear fits in my Ford Fusion. And nothing is crazy heavy. But still, it's true, time is money.

• Members

You just got added to my heroes list.

I admit, I LOVE gear. But, one thing I learned when DJing was, guerilla warfare. The longer I am there, the less I earn per hour. My DJ rig was literally 20-30 minutes tops once I loaded in. That is pile of stuff to lights and music. With the solo stuff I am shooting for now, my goal is single L1, one pedal, 2 guitars, 2 mics, small mixer.

LOL...thanks.

I try as hard as I can to get my equipment as "small" as I can and I'm doing a pretty good job. It's basically divided into sections:

Archived