What Mic do you own and use on stage?

stunningbabe

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've used a Beta 58 for a couple of years now. I like the sound, I'm accustomed to the pattern, and it doesn't cost a ton of money. Still got my SM58 from the mid-80s as a backup.

I've got a couple of SM 57s for micing amps, also circa 1985.

• Members

Shure SM58. Sometimes a Sennheiser e835 or e840 if it's a house PA that needs more sizzle.

If it's a party bar I might use my 58 clones, the AKG PR99. I picked up about fifteen PR99's a few years back, for about $30.00 each. I sold most of them to schools but I kept 2 or 3. Similar to a 58 with a bit more high end - but they have more handling noise and a switch, so I mainly use them in high drinking areas.

Sadly the PR99's were replaced by several other AKG budget lines that really do sound budget - oh well.....

• Moderators

58s seem to be the most trouble free. The Neumann handheld is awesome but I don't think I'd want to trouble shoot feedback from the stage with one. Same with a lot of mikes that sound better than the 58. But you know, you can get 3 58s cross the front of a screaming loud stage and not have feedback issues.

• Members

Speaking of trouble free; I had an Audix OM2 quit on me last Friday night at a gig. I never had that happen to me before with any mic. It just quit in between songs. I might go with an SM58 from now on. Good thing I had a spare.

I assume you checked all of this, and I do not mean to insult you, but are you sure it wasn't a faulty cable, input jack, or something else?

• Members

The SM58's are good mics, I've used them alot. They always have a good clear sound. I personally like something a little "hotter". But then again, I'm not normally on a noisy stage with multiple instruments. Acoustic guitar and vocals, with just a spot monitor doesn't really pose alot of feedback issues.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I use a Blue enCore 300 (condenser). Super clean and up there with a Neumann KMS 105 (which I don't like gigging with for fear it will disappear). Gotta warn you though, you need to be able to sing using these mics because they are unforgiving. Whatever you put in, good or bad, comes out big.

• Members

EV N/D767a. I really, really like it a lot.

That and an EV N/D457B which sounds pretty similar--smooths out my baritone voice very nicely.

But only live. I've tried recording with these and they make me sound like I'm singing into a downspout. For recording I use an old ADG C451E that I use for everything (it has both omni and cartroid heads) which is full, clean, and natural-sounding to my ear.

• Members

Sennheiser MD 421 -- why?

No proximity effect - zero - ziltch - nada

Rugged, almost indestructible -- mine is over 25 years old, I do one-nighters and it gets banged around. My partner has a 2 year old one and mine sounds as good as new

Can handle very high sound pressure levels - works for vocals and sax

Transparent - the frequency response is almost flat - no artificial coloring (unless you use the 5 position roll-off filter)

I too can't use a SM58 - proximity effect sucks, sounds muddy on my voice, and makes my sax sound thin.

(It's one of the only mics in the Technology Hall of Fame)

I can't say enough good things about it.

Insights and incites by Notes ?

• Members

i've got a shure beta 58 that sounds great, but since i use a harmonizer, it tends to pick up other sounds from the monitor.

i ended up settling on a beta 57 because its very directional, it doesn't pick up the extra stage noise. sounds every bit as good as the 58. crisp, clear, no feedback

• Members

UPDATE

Since first posting in this thread, I've had a bit more experience with the Heil PR35 that has changed my mind slightly. I still like this mic for my voice but found it to not work for everyone. (what does?) It is also a poor choice for flimsy stages, lots of rumble comes through, more so than any other mic I use. In those situations, I believe my choice would be an EV967.

• Members

I have been using the ND767a for many years now. Before I settled on it, I compared it to the OM2,5 and 7, the Shure SM58 and Beta 58, and the Sennheiser MD421, and e835. The 767 was a pretty clear winner in the shootout.

The Heil I have never tried; however, they are more than 2 times as expensive as the ND767a, and my band has 3 on stage, and I keep 1 at home, so that would cost me a pretty penny to replace them ;)

• Members

I used a Beta 58-clone for 20 years, but after the extensive compression, de-essing, and eq-ing, it's about a s feedback-sensitive as a good condenser, which basically just sounds better. I really like the (USA) AKG Perception 200--haven't tried the newer Chinese one. I tweak it a bit for recording, but all it really needs LIVE is a bit of midscoop around 500Hz.

• Members

Another plug for the Blue enCore 300. I tried a bunch of mics last summer when my 14 month old Beta 87A died. Tried dynamic and condensers - across the price spectrum. The 300 was the obvious choice for me. I use it in both my rock cover band - and in my unplugged duo/trio acts.

Archived