Tailpiece Mass on a LP Style Single P90 Axe...?

ksl

• Members
Posted (edited)

Greetings..... If my memory serves me well, my long gone 57 single pup Jr, & my 59 2 pup TV Yellow Special, had those stop tailpieces that had very little mass to them.....
My current Jared James Nichols Epi has a beastly heavy type wraparound tailpiece,  which begs the question, do the lower mass stops offer more potential sustain than the intonatable chuncks of stops? If so, I think I'd be willing to forego the ability to intonation & be happier with a more resonant lightweight stop....
Thoughts & results?? Many thnx!!

Edited by ksl

• Members

I haven't done it on a Gibson styled guitar, but on an Ibanez JS700. Changed the wraparound to a light weight Wilkenson one. No perceivable loss of sustain, but it did sound more "open and airy" if that makes sense. The guitar just felt a bit more "alive".

• Members
On 4/19/2024 at 5:26 AM, ksl said:

do the lower mass stops offer more potential sustain than the intonatable chuncks of stops?

More likely less (if you can tell) because they're more likely to resonate in sympathy with the strings, taking away vibrational energy. But they may well make it sound more open and less compressed - I had this with a strat, swapping the stainless block saddles over to traditional pressed sheet steel jobs, opening the guitar up nicely.

• Like 1

• Members
21 hours ago, Ancient Mariner said:

More likely less (if you can tell) because they're more likely to resonate in sympathy with the strings, taking away vibrational energy. But they may well make it sound more open and less compressed - I had this with a strat, swapping the stainless block saddles over to traditional pressed sheet steel jobs, opening the guitar up nicely.

I had the same experience with a Strat

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...