• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

First light show I ever used was sold and a couple years later I saw it in a club. I went up to them and said "Hey, I helped build that" and they freaked out - said I was nuts and they built it themselves. Made me think they stole it from one of the later rightful owners :mad: . But as I had no idea who it was sold to there wasn't much I could do.

• Members

It'll probably impounded as evidence for a while if it is. I had my car stolen in St. Paul & it was used in a robbery and it was impounded as evidence for a month.

I could be wrong, but I think there's a difference between regular stolen property and property that's later used in the commission of another crime.

-Dan.

• Members

A guy who had just been released from jail that weekend, broke into my car and stole my wallet and car radio. He got caught while buying three watches at a jewelry store, using my MasterCard.

MasterCard security called me at home, and asked if I had a MasterCard. I thought it was a sales pitch, and said "no thanks, I have a MasterCard". They said, "no no, WE'RE MasterCard SECURITY". I hadn't yet noticed the break-in. I went outside, then I discovered my car window was broken, I ran back in and told security. They said "hold on", the criminal is at the store now, waiting for approval. They stalled him for 45 minutes apparently, and the cops showed up, and threw him back in the slammer.

The guy had purchased new tires, and a bunch of other stuff, totaling roughly $2500. (in the late 70's).

The cops wanted to hold my wallet as "evidence", but this was a real problem as my liscence was in there. They wouldn't budge. but luckily, the guy made a complete confession and pleaded guilty at his arraignment. Problem solved. Wallet released.

• Members

Years ago I had an EV/Tapco 16 ch mixing console stolen from a studio that I worked in. No one around the Memphis area had one except me. They were pretty rare around these parts. And mine had my drivers license number etched into the backside of it.
I filed a claim with the insurance company and they cut me a check for most of what it cost me.
Flash forward a few years and I'm in a bar in Memphis and see my console being used by a band. I get close enough to see my drivers license number etching on it.
I call the police and explain the situation. In true Memphis style, the cop asks "did the insurance company pay you?". I told him they did. He told me "he'd send an officer over"...which, of course, never happened.
I didn't sweat it, though, since I had been paid for it, and really didn't want it back.
Still,... I think we all want to see justice served. And perhaps the band using the console had innocently bought it from someone or out of a pawn shop or something. You never know.

• Members

My suburban was broken into the morning after a gig. Stole almost everything. Cymbals, guitar amps, guitars, cables. Insurance company couldn't believe how much cables cost. Got it all replaced though. Ended up over 10k.

Was a bummer cause some of the cymbals couldn't be bought anymore.

Oh well, I guess that is what insurance is for.

• Members

But what's the moral of that story?
:poke:

I'd actually disagree about what insurance is for...
Insurance is for covering the situations that you just can't avoid.
Leaving gear in the car overnight is a Bozo-No-No in my book.

• Members

I know, I know!!!

Don't leave stuff in your vehicle. Duh!

Yeah, edited my post as I thought better of it.

Just not something I will do, except when the vehicle is in a locked/secure garage, etc.

• Members

But what's the moral of that story?

:poke:

I'd actually disagree about what insurance is for...

Insurance is for covering the situations that you just can't avoid.

Leaving gear in the car overnight is a Bozo-No-No in my book.

I'd actually disagree with you here...

Insurance is for covering losses that occur that are NOT predictable and ARE catastrophic.

My gear can be stolen (water damaged, burned up in a fire) anywhere on Earth, there is no peril that I can 100% avoid. I can reduce risk, of course, and to be honest, I rarely leave my gear in my car, its either at the gig or at the studio, but my gfs car was hit by a hit and run driver and she had to go to work. I stayed with her car (and the CHP) while she took my to work where it was broken into.

If insurance was for covering situations that you "just can't avoid" it would never pay claims.

Sorry sir... you could've avoided lighting your house on fire while deep frying that turkey...

• CMS Author

I'd actually disagree with you here...

Insurance is for covering losses that occur that are NOT predictable and ARE catastrophic.

My gear can be stolen (water damaged, burned up in a fire) anywhere on Earth, there is no peril that I can 100% avoid. I can reduce risk, of course, and to be honest, I rarely leave my gear in my car, its either at the gig or at the studio, but my gfs car was hit by a hit and run driver and she had to go to work. I stayed with her car (and the CHP) while she took my to work where it was broken into.

If insurance was for covering situations that you "just can't avoid" it would never pay claims.

Sorry sir... you could've avoided lighting your house on fire while deep frying that turkey...

You are correct sir. As long as you locked the vehicle doors and had the windows closed, you also excercised due diligence in securing the property which was stolen from the vehicle. I'd also argue that it's as easy to steal from a home as a vehicle. Anybody can learn how to effectively break into either.

• Members

You are correct sir. As long as you locked the vehicle doors and had the windows closed, you also excercised due diligence in securing the property which was stolen from the vehicle. I'd also argue that it's as easy to steal from a home as a vehicle. Anybody can learn how to effectively break into either.

Word.

Now I just want to find out what happened in THIS situation! Maybe it will be on the next episode of Cops. Bad boys, bad boys...

• Members

No. I make NO money. Which isn't true. But if this were my business... I would've gone under a long time ago. Music is my money pit.

Its just my renter's policy. Covers my personal belongings anywhere in the world. At the time of loss I just have to convince the claims adjuster that this is my hobby (which it is).

The last show my band played, we got paid $50. I spent more in gas, new strings, and a pick.

Archived