Mad scientist fail...

1001gear

• Members
11 hours ago, 1001gear said:

Briefly, I want to split my signal chain to a/b various pedals. Do I need 2 ABY pedals? Just a merge after the split? Will I have grounding issues? (none straight through)

The future of toan is at stake. Thanks.

I’ve split the signal with one a/b and used both inputs on my amp (fender) . When both are used there is no difference between them.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, 1001gear said:

Briefly, I want to split my signal chain to a/b various pedals. Do I need 2 ABY pedals? Just a merge after the split? Will I have grounding issues? (none straight through)

The future of toan is at stake. Thanks.

If you try to 'recombine' them, you may need a ground lift; depends on several possible things, like AC powered pedals [Morleys and some other antiques], reversed +/- pedals, daisy chain DC power vs battery, where the amp is plugged in compared to the power supply for the pedals...

If you have an older Fender amp, like Gardo [and I do as well] then yeah, you have four inputs to play with, all essentially the same. You could also run them into a mixer....

a fish once told me toan iz in da finners....so I am concerned about the future of toan being, as da french would say, fin-ny...an' I'd like my stake rayer....

• Members
22 hours ago, gardo said:

I’ve split the signal with one a/b and used both inputs on my amp (fender) . When both are used there is no difference between them.

I have a single input on the preamp.

19 hours ago, Djangler said:

Drive both pedal inputs in parallel and ABY the outputs. Input impedance is probably high enough that the two in parallel won't be too much of a load.

This would work for now thanks. Only one side would pass at a time

Or put a big-ass capacitor in series with one of the outputs before wiring them together.

Wouldn't that be a resistor?

20 hours ago, daddymack said:

If you try to 'recombine' them, you may need a ground lift; depends on several possible things, like AC powered pedals [Morleys and some other antiques], reversed +/- pedals, daisy chain DC power vs battery, where the amp is plugged in compared to the power supply for the pedals...

If you have an older Fender amp, like Gardo [and I do as well] then yeah, you have four inputs to play with, all essentially the same. You could also run them into a mixer....

a fish once told me toan iz in da finners....so I am concerned about the future of toan being, as da french would say, fin-ny...an' I'd like my stake rayer....

No AC pedals, all isolated via BBE power brick but the only toan in my fingers is this thuddy drumming sound. What I originally wanted to do was switch boost from pre to post but I probably need a loop switcher for that. Meanwhile I've been manually swapping stuff around and getting good if somewhat tedious results.

• Members
2 hours ago, 1001gear said:

I have a single input on the preamp.

No AC pedals, all isolated via BBE power brick but the only toan in my fingers is this thuddy drumming sound. What I originally wanted to do was switch boost from pre to post but I probably need a loop switcher for that. Meanwhile I've been manually swapping stuff around and getting good if somewhat tedious results.

Get another boost?

• Members
On 11/19/2022 at 6:13 AM, gardo said:

0862F174-4637-4506-9D1F-651BAA85B25A.thumb.jpeg.b6c76002d90e81238ddb3b0905014f44.jpeg

wouldn’t something like this work on the input?

Way ahead.

IMG_0213RS.jpg.255a9a3c9638b90b8f157478e8f4de0c.jpg

On 11/19/2022 at 8:26 AM, mrbrown49 said:

Get another boost?

Have half a dozen. Xotic clones, a Klon clone, and 2 Kokko boosters that make gorgeous toan. I had been experimenting manually between pre and post locations and wanted a less tedious approach. Meanwhile the Xotic clones are amazing overdrives besides boosters so obviously I must look into AB ing them in the same chain. :DI figured an ABY pedal would do it but they don't come with a proper summing cable nor have I found any to purchase. Hence this thread.

On 11/19/2022 at 10:55 AM, daddymack said:

I'm still chuckling....

When I read he had a single input amp, my first thought was 'use a mixer'....and then your pic was right under it....:philthumb:

I retired my Yamaha tabletop mixer in favor of a Behringer Mackie knockoff but that's in use being my home stereo preamp. (kills incidentally)

The other thing is I have this notion that putting a mixer send or bus into the front of my amp will suck.

• Like 1