So I thought HC defaulted or something.

1001gear

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Mr.Grumpy said:

Thanks Daddymack for 'splaining further, not surprised the mods are volunteers, so THANKS AGAIN to you and Davey and Anton and whoever else is tasked with keeping order and hammering down the spam posts. 👍

Thanks, Mr. G! We are here because we believe in the community here, as small as it may be, and that it is still worth our time and service.

BTW, Isaac42 is the other active mod, handling the bass forum.

Phil, Dendy, and Anderton are long gone since the Gibson 'dump'[which was prefaced by Anderton's untimely departure from Gibson]. I hear from Phil and Anderton occassionally...nothing from Dendy, not sure what he is up to these days. I was lucky enough that I had met Dendy and Anderton at NAMM a few times, and spent a lovely afternoon with them at the 'real' HC Office in Nashville [the old Epiphone building in the swamp]. Oddly, Phil and Anton, who both lived within an hour of me, I have never met in person.

1 hour ago, davie said:

Wait.. you're not getting paid for this? Then who's the one dropping me off duffel bags of cash at the park trash bin every month? 😨

But yes.. we're just volunteers. 😁

The frequency of spam posts have actually gotten better lately. The latest system is pretty good at filtering them out. During one of the previous versions of the forum, we used to get almost a full page of spam in each section, some days I had to spend up to half an hour to remove them all, and we also had more active moderators back then too.

Those duffelbags in the park? More likely from the family of that woman you keep chained in your basement..DOH!, that was just between us, wasn't it? :facepalm: well, not anymore...sm-rotfl

Spam under this system has been virtually nil, and I retired my 'Anti-Spam Avenger' title when this all came about. I spent upwards of three hours some nights tracking down spammers, reporting them to their ISPs...it was a huge issue up until a few years ago.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Members
1 hour ago, 1001gear said:

@gardo, Yeah srsly proficient?  good at fishing? Good fishing? Over 1200 points to leave this one. Think I'm stuck here.

I keep hearing George Jones singing 

“the race is on and it looks like heartache and the winner loses all”

• Haha 1

• Moderators

yeah, trust me on this, being a 'Grand Master' here don't get ya nuffin'...

which reminds me of a kind of funny story ...many, many years back when MF took over and I was made a 'Super-Moderator' [whooop-de-dooo!], I discovered that a noob was posting huge volumes in one of the lesser used forums [I think it was DJ or Woodwinds]...in order to get to 'member' status. Looking at the posts, the noob posted one letter at a time, spelling out "I w-i-l-l  n-o-t  b-e  a  n-o-o-b  f-o-r-e-v-e-r"....over and over. Pages of posts of one letter. I quoted the noob, adding all the letters into one post, and deleted all the others. Then I PM'd and advised that this was not an acceptable methodology.

• Haha 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Ancient Mariner said:

Interesting. I had no idea Anderton etc had evaporated. Thanks for keeping things running, even if you don't have access to the stuff underneath.

I wonder, just wonder, if there's a chance this could become an adult forum again & perhaps see some return to form?

The way forward is to 'get the band back together'. All the folks who understandably bailed out when we were being bounced through multiple formats...the ones who felt this place was too conservatively moderated, the ones who disliked the ownership...and with those numbers, with that revitalized knowledge base, we could be vital again.

Will it happen? :idk:

• Like 1

• Members
22 hours ago, daddymack said:

The way forward is to 'get the band back together'. All the folks who understandably bailed out when we were being bounced through multiple formats...the ones who felt this place was too conservatively moderated, the ones who disliked the ownership...and with those numbers, with that revitalized knowledge base, we could be vital again.

Will it happen? :idk:

I always enjoyed garage sale finds and rattle can make overs Hey badpenguin, maybe you might share some more of your guitar rehab projects. Please 

I haven’t done too many projects worth posting but like to see them

Edited by gardo