J-Bass neck felt odd

DeepEnd

• Members

I filled in for our bass player Sunday and I noticed the neck on the church's Mexi J-Bass felt--idunno--off when I played notes at the 1st fret, like there was some source of strain. Never noticed it before but I also don't recall playing any notes at the 1st fret. Anyway, is it something to do with the shape of the neck at that point or just me?

• Members

The neck on this particular bass gets thicker--as in the back of the neck to the fretboard--at about the first fret. I was curious if that bothered anyone else. The neck on the bass I have for practice/noodling, an Alvarez "Villain" bass, doesn't do that.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

My two MiM J-basses (20-ish year-old 5 string and new 4 string fretless) have the slight thickening going toward the headstock just ahead of the nut. I never really thought about it much until I read this post and I had to go check. I guess I don't position my thumb that far down for it to effect my playing.

My Warmoth P-bass neck has a similar thickening, but it's just behind the nut instead of just ahead.

Edited by Axee-o-matic

• Members
On 1/1/2023 at 11:03 AM, isaac42 said:

I think it's called the volute, and is intended to strengthen the neck-to-headstock transition. Not all instruments have it.

True. My Alvarez has no volute. I'd simply expect it to be farther up the neck. That's what I get for playing cheap gear. 😉

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

The first fret on a bass can feel odd for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the nut, which separates the strings from the fretboard, is slightly higher than the frets themselves. This is to ensure proper string intonation (playing notes in tune) higher up the neck. This slight height difference can be more noticeable when first playing at the first fret.

Secondly, the J-Bass neck has a classic "C" shaped profile. This curvature might feel unfamiliar compared to a flatter neck profile you might be used to.  It can take some adjustment to play comfortably in the first few frets on a C-shaped neck.