Live Sound - PA System help?

• Members

Hi,

My band is saving up money to buy a quality system that we can take to gigs and possibly do sound for about 500 to 2000 people. We have a few gigs outdoors.

What sound system would you reccomend - speakers, subs etc.?

We have the Presonus Studio Live and AKG In-ear monitors that we bought recently for practice purposes. We looking to buy speakers in 6 months. Just wanted to know what we should save up for.

Thank you

• Members
What sound system would you reccomend - speakers, subs etc.?

We have the Presonus Studio Live and AKG In-ear monitors that we bought recently for practice purposes. We looking to buy speakers in 6 months. Just wanted to know what we should save up for.

Thank you

That's a lotta PA. You are probably looking at a 20K watt system, if not more.

• Members

sound for 2k outdoors is very expensive. I would look for a nice PA that might top out at the 500 mark and rent/hire the bigger gigs. Or check what the rentals have locally, buy the same, and supplement your PA with rental gear for big gigs. What is your budget?

• Members

Meyers for your out door stuff but your looking at serious bank for Meyers esp. the active stuff. Which I would go active all the way less headaches if your mixing from the stage plus you have the Presonus SL will make load in/out less gear to carry with active gear. Most recommend these brands for us week end warriors like myself for small to medium size clubs and venues,

QSC

JBL

EV

Yorkville

$7k at the Meyers store won't go far :cry:

• Members

Glad to hear you're not going to worry about an outdoor system.

You've already got a good board. If you really have IEM's for most everyone and only need a monitor speaker or two, you should be able to get some decent gear if you really look around.

Don't worry about what specific gear you're going to get yet. Do some reading, keep checking out this forum... and find out what stuff is getting the most love, and what will fit your needs (application, size, weight, SPL...,).

One specific thing I would recommend - please, please get powered speakers. There are lots of good powered speakers available in most of the respected lines; EV, JBL, Yorkville, QSC, RCF, and so on, all have a variety of powered speakers at different price points.

When you're doing your initial budget, factor in cables, mic stands, microphones (you didn't mention these), mixer... rack (s), EQ's and Driverack (although you might not need these "depending"), speaker covers if applicable, cable ties, multimeter, flashlight(s), a dolly, etcetera.

• Members

Looks like you play acoustic? You perhaps don't need Rock&Roll Concert volume? 500-2000 people is a pretty big room for a starting band - are you sure you wouldn't be looking at more like 50-200? Once you go past that level stuff starts to get expensive and heavy :(.

• Members

I am doing PA indoors for 1000 folks (acoustic music) and I've got $100k into it. Sure you could do it for less, but maybe $20k would be about the minimum at any real quality level IME.

You might want to buy for 500 and then rent more amps/speakers as you get bigger gigs. This is where buying what's available to rent locally helps.

Archived