Stocking Stuffers

1001gear

• Members

So you make the toan / music? The back of the neck on my Epi is glossy so that is a problem. Nothing else about it gets in the way so to me that's good playability. Soundwise it doesn't do buttery and is either bright or way dark. usable but nondescript; probably typical sounds. Can't play enough guitar to get to the subtleties of color and nuance so getting "a good lead tone" is what I look for.

• Like 1

• Members
6 hours ago, 1001gear said:

So you make the toan / music? The back of the neck on my Epi is glossy so that is a problem. Nothing else about it gets in the way so to me that's good playability. Soundwise it doesn't do buttery and is either bright or way dark. usable but nondescript; probably typical sounds. Can't play enough guitar to get to the subtleties of color and nuance so getting "a good lead tone" is what I look for.

I don’t mind changing the sound of a guitar including upgrading pickups. I don’t buy a guitar with the intention of changing the neck , it’s just not worth the hassle 

Also body thickness is important to me. I’m not interested in a thin body Telecaster. 

Edited by gardo

• Moderators
On 12/13/2021 at 1:37 AM, 1001gear said:

Is there anything preventing a random Epi from sounding expensive?

pickups and wood come to mind....:wave:

I do really enjoy playing my two Epis...a 2001 AlleyKat [Korean], and a 2008 Performer ME a/e [Indonesian].

Both were ordered on line from MF...  rolled the dice on both and was not disappointed.

• Members

Stocking stuffers for musicians are like clip on tuners, picks, a capo, a slide and strings. Maybe a harmonica or a cool guitar/ bass strap, neck tie, gloves, or cool musicians novelty sock.

Ear plugs for the family.:bounce022:

I saw some face masks hat were rather cool. We'll be wearing those things for a long me to come.

• Moderators
On 12/20/2021 at 4:55 PM, 1001gear said:

Love Lerch. The Dot, not so much. Sounds like mine with much cooler playing. Been meaning to get the Dot out...

to be fair...what Tim Lerch has there is not a 'Dot'. This is their 'Inspired by Gibson' line, and this is about twice the price of a 'Dot'. I have done mods on 'Dots' for a long time for folks...most of whom assumed they were getting a bargain basement ES-335...what they got was a lot of junk hardware stuffed into a decent body with a decent neck.

The earlier [late 90s/early 00s]] Samick versions were actually well built [body/neck], despite cheap p-ups/pots/switch, and with upgrades will hold their own on stage, as opposed to the more recent ones [Studio Dot].

By the time you upgrade [the labor on the wiring aspect, due to the f-hole only access, is a PITA compared to a solid body] the pots, switch, wire, jack, bridge, tailpiece, tuners and p-ups the 'inspired by' version is the far better deal.

I would personally do those mods to something like a Firefly, at half the cost of a Dot, than to a newer Dot...

• Members

Took the Dot out. Been a couple years in the case. Elixir 12s, still bright enough. This time I dimed everything including the pre gain (SS Boogie - very low grind but gobs of fat) Never did that and it started sounding Gibsonie. Tried with several China Peddow and surprise, morphed into $2000 Gibsung. Noodled for a couple hours, put it back in the case.

• Like 1