Looking for a Les Paul

MesaMonster

• Members

Hello Everyone. I am looking to purchase a Les Paul, new or used. I am looking for a player, not necessarily a collector and something that will not break the bank. I like to play 70 and 80 rock and big into Nightwish and symphonic metal. Not stuck on a particular finish either but do like the cherry burst, lemon drop burst and iced tea burst. Thanks.

• Moderators

Yes but what Les Paul...? There are umpteen variants/reissues.  And then there are the Epiphones and those variants.

Not to mention the 'knock-offs'.

Have you looked at Reverb.com?

So let's narrow this down a bit:

Price range?

Gibson only?

Model? [Custom, Standard, Studio....?]

Pickup preference? P90- [likely not, based on musical preferences] Humbuckers...but which ones?

• Members
2 hours ago, daddymack said:

Yes but what Les Paul...? There are umpteen variants/reissues.  And then there are the Epiphones and those variants.

Not to mention the 'knock-offs'.

Have you looked at Reverb.com?

So let's narrow this down a bit:

Price range?

Gibson only?

Model? [Custom, Standard, Studio....?]

Pickup preference? P90- [likely not, based on musical preferences] Humbuckers...but which ones?

Ain't that the truth

• Members
5 hours ago, MesaMonster said:

Ok. Looking for a Gibson, Humbuckers. Standard? (What is a traditional Les Paul?)

Main Differences Between Les Paul Traditional vs Standard. The Les Paul traditional has a thicker neck profile, whereas the Standard has a slimmer neck profile. They have 50's and 50's tradition back for 10 years ago. I thing the 60's had push pull pots too, but don't quote me on that.

They still make Les Pauls. $2699.00

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Guitar/USA1R6524/Les-Paul-Standard-60s/Iced-Tea

I'm sure this is nice too, if that's in your budget.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Guitar/CUS48E666/1960-Les-Paul-Standard-Reissue/Iced-Tea-Burst

• Members
41 minutes ago, MesaMonster said:

Is there any particular era I should stay away from?

No. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't a clue. Every year had good ones, brilliant ones, and crap. Each guitar is an individual. Think of it as such, and you'll do fine. Just play a few to see which is best for you.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

sorry, Hap, but he specified Gibson.

Even with Gibson, there are 'standards', and there are 'standards', ...50's , 60's...

Price will be a factor on anything with Gibson on the headstock...regardless of new or used.

Do you have a neck shape/width preference?

On 10/20/2021 at 10:39 AM, MesaMonster said:

Is there any particular era I should stay away from?

Unless you are extremely wealthy, stay away from the '50s models....😜

I have played a number of duds over the years, and fortunately, more that were awesome, but you never know. Many people eschew the Norlin era, but there were still great guitars made during those years. As badpenguin stated, you really have to play it to know, same about neck profiles.

Weight relieved? Pancake?

Humbuckers? Classic 57? Burstbuckers? 498?496?490?500? Mini? Just a lot of choices, even within the choices [Burstbucker magnet variants, for instance].

The nice thing about p-ups is that if you don't like what came in the axe, changing them is pretty easy, and selling the old ones is usually pretty easy too.

I think you should study up on the features, figure out which specific model you want [Standard, Tribute, Deluxe, Classic, Modern, Studio, Custom*], which will narrow down the features to a manageable level.

*which is what I have.

• Like 1

• Members

Thank you DaddyMack. It certainly gives me more to work with. I usually like to play with thinner necks. I have small hands. I have an Ibanez with a wizard neck that is very comfortable to play. I also just recently got a PRS 408 which plays like butter. So, I am partial to the 60s neck. As far as pickups, I am a little weak in that department. I am looking for the classic rock sound. My favorites would be Gary Moore, Robbie Roberson, Scott Gorham, Tom Scholz, and Mick Jones.

• Members
11 hours ago, MesaMonster said:

Thank you DaddyMack. It certainly gives me more to work with. I usually like to play with thinner necks. I have small hands. I have an Ibanez with a wizard neck that is very comfortable to play. I also just recently got a PRS 408 which plays like butter. So, I am partial to the 60s neck. As far as pickups, I am a little weak in that department. I am looking for the classic rock sound. My favorites would be Gary Moore, Robbie Roberson, Scott Gorham, Tom Scholz, and Mick Jones.

PRS has done many necks over the the decades. I have a Custom 22 and choose the fat wide neck, which isn't that fat compared to LP of the 50. The fat wide feels more like a 60's LP neck.  Make sure you try before you buy, or can send the guitar back if you don't like the feel of it.

• Moderators
On 10/21/2021 at 5:49 PM, MesaMonster said:

That would be the Classic 57*.  Up until the early '70s, that was the shizznit...and pretty much the only 'humbucker'...and SGs and Pauls were ubiquitous.

*This is as close as Gibson gets to the original P.A.F. design, since they won't go back to enameled wire for cost reasons.

• Members

And just for sh!ts and giggles, Seymour Duncan still makes  Seth Lovers. A couple of these and some bumble be caps, and you can get there pretty. I guess they are slightly less dark that Gibson 57 classics.

I only have stuff with 57 classics and that's a very nice pup imho.