New capo day

DeepEnd

• Members

Somehow, my D'Addario Artist capo vanished. As much as I like my Shubb, it's not as quick to use and doesn't clamp onto the headstock. I found another D'Addario on eBay that was missing a little plastic gizmo for attaching a tuner but the price was right.

It arrived Saturday and I have some preliminary impressions. First, it seems to be made for a fairly thin neck because the tension adjuster is almost "wide open" for my electric. Second, this is the model with the grip on the fretboard side of the neck instead of the back like my old one and that's taking some getting used to. Anyhoo, without further adieu, here's a pic:

NS_capo.jpg

• Members

I've got one, have used for several years here in Thailand. Some of the paint has come off, the hinge pin came out a tad, but nothing I couldn't live with.. I like being able to clip on headstock. I play at the beach so that feature lets me lay it on gig bag without having to think about scratching the headstock. Never put a pick in that little holder. I also have Shubbs & they're great too.

• Members
On 8/31/2021 at 9:03 PM, DeepEnd said:

Somehow, my D'Addario Artist capo vanished. As much as I like my Shubb, it's not as quick to use and doesn't clamp onto the headstock. I found another D'Addario on eBay that was missing a little plastic gizmo for attaching a tuner but the price was right.

It arrived Saturday and I have some preliminary impressions. First, it seems to be made for a fairly thin neck because the tension adjuster is almost "wide open" for my electric. Second, this is the model with the grip on the fretboard side of the neck instead of the back like my old one and that's taking some getting used to. Anyhoo, without further adieu, here's a pic:

NS_capo.jpg

I have a few Shubbs capo's and they are nice, but you are correct, they don't clip on to the head stock when you are not using them. 

I also have a few Kyser capos, and I like them too. However eventually the spring will break, it could even snap when putting it on you guitar and put a nice dent in the neck. Happened.

Now to top it off, I was given a G7. They are nice too, but very heavy.

I'm old enough to remember these, and have used them.

61NaMu-EQ4L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

37011100001.LEFT__65745.1576898151.jpg?c

• Like 1

• Members
On 9/2/2021 at 8:09 AM, Emory said:

I've got one, have used for several years here in Thailand. Some of the paint has come off, the hinge pin came out a tad, but nothing I couldn't live with.. I like being able to clip on headstock. . . .

Interesting. The pin came out of my old one too. Seems like a design flaw in an otherwise good product.

On 9/2/2021 at 2:54 PM, Mikeo said:

. . . I'm old enough to remember these, and have used them.

Me too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 9/1/2021 at 4:03 AM, DeepEnd said:

It arrived Saturday and I have some preliminary impressions. First, it seems to be made for a fairly thin neck because the tension adjuster is almost "wide open" for my electric. Second, this is the model with the grip on the fretboard side of the neck instead of the back like my old one and that's taking some getting used to. Anyhoo, without further adieu, here's a pic:  snaptube  vidmate

I picked up the 3 this year at NAMM after using their original model for years. It’s excellent. Using it on tour right now. I’ll never go back to trigger style spring loaded capos.

Edited by brandonrodgers

• Members
On 9/16/2021 at 6:42 PM, brandonrodgers said:

I picked up the 3 this year at NAMM after using their original model for years. It’s excellent. Using it on tour right now. I’ll never go back to trigger style spring loaded capos.

I presume, based on a quick web search, you mean a Shubb model 3 since you didn't specify, possibly an S3? Yes, they're great if you can live with not being able to clamp them on the headstock. Glad you like yours.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On 9/2/2021 at 8:54 PM, Mikeo said:

I have a few Shubbs capo's and they are nice, but you are correct, they don't clip on to the head stock when you are not using them. 

I also have a few Kyser capos, and I like them too. However eventually the spring will break, it could even snap when putting it on you guitar and put a nice dent in the neck. Happened.

Now to top it off, I was given a G7. They are nice too, but very heavy.

I'm old enough to remember these, and have used them.

Just literally got rid of the bottom type 4 years ago, had it for decades!.