Any advice for those who aren't into subwoofers?

• Members

If I was going to buy some subs I would be looking at a folded horn design probably.

Wonder why no one has built a full range 3 way with folding horn. Klipsch made a horn loaded full range back in the day.

Size, weight, cost and many do not like folded horns. I am one of them (in general).

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The 3way SRX4738 wasn't meant to be a full-range box that would replace a sub, the idea was to get the mids to be reproduced by a cone rather than a metal compression driver. The 18 goes up to around 350hz, 8" from 350-2.5K (IIRC) and the 1" from there on up. Basically the important vocal 4-500 range covered without strain from a larger cone and the 1-2K without the harshness of a 2" horn and the 1" will extent the HF a little higher out. Used with subs it's a very nice hifi sounding box.

• Members

How many here run their bass and subs at a higher volume than the rest of the system? (And what kind of music is coming through?)

I run mine flat and it sounds like that is considered by some to be unusual. (Classic rock and old school R&B. Seems appropriate to me.)

• Members
How many here run their bass and subs at a higher volume than the rest of the system? (And what kind of music is coming through?)

I run mine flat and it sounds like that is considered by some to be unusual. (Classic rock and old school R&B. Seems appropriate to me.)

unless you are using an analyzer you really wouldn't know if you are running them flat. I run mine so that things sound flat if I don't use an abalyzer, and so they sound pretty flat when I play programmed music thru them. how exactly do you "run them flat"? And of course you are referring to genres that don't have nearly the low frequency energy in their sound compared to many types of more modern popular music. Sounds like you want to remain faithful to the original sound of those genres. Why shouldn't other sound people/acts do likewise with their genres? It wouldn't make much sense to try and mix Godsmack the same way you would want to dial in the Lettermen.

• Members

I typically calibrate the systems I install to have a 3dB rise between about 90Hz and 40Hz using >100Hz as a baseline.

For some applications I will go as much as +6dB over baseline.

I use an analyzer and parametric eq along with output gain trim to get where I need to.

• Members

Got a DOD RTA and my system is setup using a DriveRack PA on the FOH and a DriveRack PX on the monitors. The speakers were almost out of the garage aimed at the street for the base configuration. (Just about no reflective surfaces to screw with the sound.) I have several different base configurations set up for the different speaker combinations I use. 3-way, 2-way and combinations that are used for larger outdoor setups. Don't really have a setup for larger than 5000 people general PA outdoors and I feel that is enough for a small music concert for up to 1000 outdoors. (Better in some settings than others.)

The band is more of a stickler for authentic than I like, but it's a good band and the guys are fun to work with. Thank God that no one is insisting on a real B3. (Not that I would mind playing one. Just don't want to move one.)

• Members

Got a DOD RTA and my system is setup using a DriveRack PA on the FOH and a DriveRack PX on the monitors. The speakers were almost out of the garage aimed at the street for the base configuration. (Just about no reflective surfaces to screw with the sound.) I have several different base configurations set up for the different speaker combinations I use. 3-way, 2-way and combinations that are used for larger outdoor setups. Don't really have a setup for larger than 5000 people general PA outdoors and I feel that is enough for a small music concert for up to 1000 outdoors. (Better in some settings than others.)

The band is more of a stickler for authentic than I like, but it's a good band and the guys are fun to work with. Thank God that no one is insisting on a real B3. (Not that I would mind playing one. Just don't want to move one.)

I have the DOD rackmount as well.

• Members

The RTA was one of my earlier purchases. I know my hearing isn't what it used to be and was counting on it helping make sure things worked in spite of it. People don't know what I do, but are happy with the results. Works for me.

Thanks Andy. Not sure if I'll change my approach, but will look at how that might change our sound.

• Members

By the way. Didn't mean to give the impression that anyone else was doing anything wrong. Sound is very subjective and just about everyone will approach it differently. I've got my style and that works for me. One approach shouldn't work for everybody.

• Members

I agree with that Wynn. The only bump my system gets is the sensitivity difference between my subs and my tops. Subs are rated at 105@1w@1m and tops are 102@1w@1m. I do have a parametric on the subs to flatten the horn response which is +3db centered at 70hz with a Q of 3.

• CMS Author

I run my SR4719X's about 3-6dB above the SR4735X's. This basically allows the baseline that I ran (same as how you did yours, but with the DRPA) to not require any EQ boosts in the sub frequencies, so the overall mix is "flat" depending upon the venue. This is for rock ranging from early 70's through today.

It should be noted that the system baseline has minimal bearing on the actual mix, which is adjusted per song to deliver the 'right' amount of bass and kick response.

Archived